Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
taylorbritain

Living with a sectional..

taylorbritain
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

So I have had this brown sectional for too many years, getting rid of it would be a dream come true. Due to the fact that its this colour, im truly finding it hard to bring in new décor because nothing seems to go with it.. and yes I know there is two different curtains behind it (experimenting) If anyone out there has ever used a sectional slipcover, could you please share some thoughts. I have not been able to locate one as of yet to even try how it looks. If anyone knows of that information I would greatly would appreciate a source.

SIdenote : ive pulled it away from the wall that's why its look like theres no floor space.

Comments (18)

• hollybar
    4 years ago

Good slipcovers are spendy. Adding a rug and deciding on a colour palette would tame that bossy sectional and deliver better overall results. Could you share some more pics of the space? And any inspo pics of rooms you love?

taylorbritain thanked hollybar
  • taylorbritain
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Sorry cant stand the colour, rather have a slipcover. Just wanted to know if anyone has had luck. I cant imagine they would be the price of a new couch... well at least hope not lol

• Marigold
    4 years ago

is it leather? I had very good luck in dyeing a leather chair. No one would ever know I changed it. A big couch is a much bigger job, of course, but if you like the couch and can't stand the color, that could be an option

taylorbritain thanked Marigold
  • taylorbritain
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yes its leather and 12 yrs old. What did you use @Marigold out of curiosity

• hollybar
    4 years ago

jen90je, a few posters have mentioned this co. https://comfort-works.com/en/custom-sofa-slipcovers-17/ Might be a place to start. Weird how these days, the price of a slipcover or a re-up can often out pace the cost of a new sofa of the same build/quality.

taylorbritain thanked hollybar
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago

REMOVE the corner piece from the darn thing!!!! Get RID OF IT : ) Add a light toned comfy chair in a fabric. Get a RUG that works with the chair, and don't do any curtain selection yet. Get a coffee table.

Get a big throw to toss on the sofa, a couple pillows. Forget the slipcover, and save money until you can ditch it entirely.

The room appears a tomb. A light neutral rug, light toned curtains..........and LOSE the corner!

Brown leather isn't really a "color", add navy, add gray, add oatmeal, add texture add warmth.......it goes with quite a bit : )

Interior Design Work · More Info

taylorbritain thanked JAN MOYER
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

Blues in a lighter tone work well with brown, I have no idea why you would want to go from an easy to care for leather to light colored slip cover that will always need washing. Take both those drapes back and get a light colored rug and choose a color from the rug for drapes this pic gives you an idea of how to use pale blue

• Susan Davis
    4 years ago

I have the ubiquitous brown sofa and chose blue!

taylorbritain thanked Susan Davis
  • Susan Davis
    4 years ago

But I almost chose Coral! Any color. Any color can work with brown, but I wanted a soothing feel. I am working on adding tiny bits of turquoise for some heat.

• Susan Davis
    4 years ago

PS: agree you should get rid of the curved part if possible! The two pieces will give you a new look!

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

IMO the 2 pieces will always look like you are missing a piece so I would leave it

• Karen
    4 years ago

I think the suggestion to remove the corner piece contemplates pushing the two remaining pieces together...to form a "regular" sofa. If you can do that, jen90je, why not give it a try and see what you think? If it works, then you can look for an upholstered chair in a patterned fabric to add visual interest and to give you that seat back.

taylorbritain thanked Karen
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago

They will NOT look like you are missing a piece! You have two identical sides and a corner! How do you think they make this stuff when you customize to the inch? It will look like THE SOFA that it ir...before it gave birth to a limiting ?curved corner lol It will be a three seat sofa with two arms :: )

taylorbritain thanked JAN MOYER
  • Kris Bruesehoff
    4 years ago

if you do as Jan and the others suggest and remove the corner piece you will have a nice sofa And LESS of the color you dislike. Honestly, once you add other colors and lighter tones it will blend into background more And be very nice.

I wouldn’t go with either drape though.

• Nicki
    4 years ago

Came here to say what nearly everyone else is saying: get rid of the curved corner and make it a straight sofa. Personally, I love the color. Once you add a rug and some pillows and a throw (I'd stick with neutrals) it will look great. And speaking from experience, furniture covers are a nightmare, especially on leather furniture. They will NEVER stay put!

taylorbritain thanked Nicki
  • taylorbritain
    Original Author
    4 years ago

All of these suggestions are great!! I will start taking apart the thing and see how it looks. Then if all goes well I will definitely go for much lighter curtains, rug e.t.c

The blue does look really nice with the brown , thanks for those pictures. One other question is if I go and add the blue with brown do I have to add some blue to the kitchen that's open to it ?

• Susan Davis
    4 years ago

You can or not.....see how it feels to you....you might go shopping for colors in your house and drape them over the sofa and see what color appeals to you....likewise if there is a fave color in the kitchen, you might bring that into the family room.....it can go any way!