Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mmwhalen1999

Full house reno - splurge vs. save

mmwhalen1999
4 years ago

So, due to a house fire, we're having to rebuild the entire inside of our house (and a bit of the outside too). We hired an architect and he abandoned the project halfway through, essentially pushing everything back four months. That's four months closer to insurance no longer paying for our rental house, rental furniture, storage of anything that was salvagable, etc. None of this is relevant except that it explains my reasons for having to look for ways to save. We've lost 4 months out of 12 and our expenses are going to skyrocket when insurance stops paying for them.

Can you help me find ways to save money (and possibly time) to get my family of 5 back home? I'm especially open to making decisions on things I can change in five years or so to upgrade. Examples for me might be to choose a laminate countertop that I can live with for a while and downgrading my appliances. I just have so many decisions to make that I know I'm probably forgetting some obvious ways I could save money on this project.

Comments (20)

• User
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Hire a new architect or designer. You can’t save enough on decorative finishes to make any real difference. You can only save by cutting out construction complexity from the build. The insurance only pays to make you whole. Not to enrich you. Any add ons have to come from your pocket. If you’ve included longed for renovations into the rebuild, cut those first thing.

mmwhalen1999 thanked User
  • functionthenlook
    4 years ago

Don't try to save money on things that are not easy or cheap to change such as electrical, windows, insulation, roof, structure, plumbing, and HVAC. Buy the best kitchen cabinets you can. You can save on the countertops. Some granites are cheaper than laminate. Beside laminate lasts a long time and still looks good. Odds are the granite will be cracked, stained and chipped in 5 years for you to change out. Mid range appliances will last on average 10 - 12 years. You can save on cabinet knobs/handles to upgrade later. Buy carpeting or LVP for flooring. If you are a hardwood floor fan you can always put it in later. Cheaper lighting has to meet the same wiring for safety as the expensive lighting. Buy good solid hardwood interior doors, but use simple wood molding that can be beefed up at a later date. Crown molding can also be added later. Toilets and vanities (standard size) can be changed out easily, but tubs/showers can not.

mmwhalen1999 thanked functionthenlook
  • Design Girl
    4 years ago

I would try to save on the things that are easier to change/add later on. For instance, I would spend the money for hardwood floors. Floors are horrible to switch out as they should be run under cabinets, etc., especially if they have to be finished on site. I would totally do the hardwoods with the build. I also would NEVER cheap out on windows. I would buy quality kitchen cabinets, but countertops can be an area to save, as well as hardware, as they can all be changed out later on. Appliances are another area to save, as long as you design the kitchen to leave the proper space for what you REALLY want. How about doing all the baths with inexpensive white subway tile. It's actually my favorite even when not on a budget as it always looks great and is always in style. You can save on bathroom vanities as long as you run the floor under them to allow for a change later. Moen makes great reasonably priced faucets that are nice looking and durable. There are also some great looking porcelain tiles that look like marble, or ceramic tile if that's more your taste. I would deter you from putting in the plastic shower enclosures. Although they may save a bit of time and money, it won't be much and IMO they are just so cheap looking. I disagree with the person above who said to spend money on solid doors. While great, they are something that can be changed out later and the others look fine as long as they're painted. Lighting is another area to save on, easily changed later with the exception of recessed lighting. No one wants to take out a ceiling to put cans in. Check out roofing choices as well. As long as you go for architectural shingles, you may be able to save $ on the lifespan (although I don't know how much), say a 15 year roof, instead of a 30 year one. Forget crown molding, built in's, decorative millwork, etc. All can come later. Consider painting the interior yourself. My daughter bought a house 2 years ago, and we painted the whole inside ourselves. In my area, that saved us 12-15 thousand.

mmwhalen1999 thanked Design Girl
  • functionthenlook
    4 years ago

Design girl, flooring does not need to be run under kitchen cabinets. Some people do and some don't. It is easier to remove and re-lay a new floor if the cabinets that are staying don't sit on the existing floor. That way there is no building up ontop of the original floor. You just remove it. Chances are if you are getting new cabinets you are going to change the flooring anyway.

• PRO
    User
    4 years ago

Choosing budget items may contribute a 10% savings. It’s not much. Because there a basement cost to everything.

Choosing to work with a public adjuster can get you way more than 10% added to the payout. Even after you pay their fees. I’d also suggest looking at buying an inexpensive camper so that you have a paid for residence that can be on site to monitor the rebuild. No it won’t be fun. It will be a tale to be told in 5 years. It will also prevent issues that are all too common during construction by having your presence there.

• Design Girl
    4 years ago

@functionthenlook I know that flooring doesn’t NEED to go under the cabinets, I just prefer to run it under when I can. My clients prefer that as well. It may be because I am in a very high end part of the country where this is expected. Most people here have hardwood or stone. There is virtually no LVP or plastic stuff done around here.

• richfield95
    4 years ago

one time saver could be to hire an interior designer, you have a lot of decisions to make, on top of your other full time responsibilitie. If you hire someone to pick the interior finishes, th build process might go faster.

Other minor changes that could save time is doing a shower enclsource instead of custom onsite tiled shower.

Simplify the design wherever possible, less complicated rooflines, one type of siding. Choose good quality windows in standard sizes, not custom sizes.

And on the floor-under-cabinets discussion, put the flooring under the cabinets. The previous owners of our house did site finished floors after the cabinets were installed. We rearranged our cabinets and now have to refinsh 1000sq ft of floor so the previously unfinished floor under the cabinets matches everything else.

• mnmamax3
    4 years ago

I second the interior designer! Someone with experience in finishing will help you make smart choices that will reduce second-guessing later. The only problem with that if a designer is very good, you might have to wait for them. My only other suggestion is to get the pricing for everything you REALLY want and then cut from there. There will be some things you think are far more/less expensive than they really are and it will be easier to make your keep/cut decisions with all the info.

• shirlpp
    4 years ago

At the very least get a consultation with a designer.

If you have not done so create a spreadsheet((i.e. Kitchen - costs: high, med, low - for appliances, cabinets, etc..).(Flooring - costs - hardwood, laminate, carpeting: high, med low....etc)).

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

You need at least a designer this is too much too fast to not have one. We really have not much info to really help either. I would say the kitchen the bathrooms and the flooring are your big ticket items that need to done right the first time. If the windows all need replacing then those need to be done now too. Lighting can be cheap now and slowly replaced one room at a time but in the kitchen do it right the first time.You do not ever need Wolf or Sub Zero appliances or 48” ranges .

Can you share with us why the first architect left? Please some more info as to how much damage

mmwhalen1999 thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • User
    4 years ago

The problem won't be solved by an architect or a designer. The main issue is that you have sustained a major loss, financially, but primarily emotionally. Your house is gone; more importantly, your home is gone. Your safe space, your past, your family's past. All gone. Your indecision is caused by having to accept the loss and the fear of another loss. What if you build another home into which you have poured your heart and it also is snatched away? Much easier to go cheap, go fast, just call it a place to dwell without really living in it. I hope you have spoken with a counselor about this. https://www.apa.org/helpcenter/residential-fire

The enormous rebuilding job has to be broken into manageable parts. But first, you have to restore your emotional and mental health.

mmwhalen1999 thanked User
  • apple_pie_order
    4 years ago

Why did the architect bail? Have you hired a contractor? Are you replacing the old quality with the same new quality or are you planning to upgrade (acrylic tub to cast iron, builder grade cabinets to fancier cabinets, more efficient HVAC, adding recessed lighting, sheet vinyl to hardwood flooring, etc.)?

• mmwhalen1999
    Original Author
    4 years ago

You've all given me some ideas that I hadn't thought of - molding can be upgraded in the future, definitely! We've already got a new architect and a public adjuster and are hoping to make a decision on a contractor this week. Hiring a designer is probably a great idea - I have plenty of pinterest pages and know my taste to provide guidance but am going to be overwhelmed with making interior decisions when it's time to buy.

I also think it's a good idea to go simple with tiles and finishes. I'll be replacing wood floors with white oak because insurance will pay for that. (Insurance gives you 80% of what they consider the value of items. You get the extra 20% depreciation $ if you replace with "like" materials. It's broken down into very specific categories, like sheetrock, shingles, cabinet hardware, etc.)

We're not sure why the architect bailed. He came highly recommended but went total no contact after doing all measurements and a first plan. He wouldn't even give us the work he had done and sent back the key and our deposit after our local news station got involved. His email stated that this has never happened to him in over 30 years.

• mmwhalen1999
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Totally starting from scratch...

• functionthenlook
    4 years ago

You poor thing. You sure are starting from scratch. Baby steps. How did the fire start?

• PRO
    Skippack Tile & Stone
    4 years ago

Given that the clock is ticking; what is holding you back? Is there a GC in charge for the project yet? If you want to get back in the house in the next 6 months you need to get on their schedule now. What was the scope for the architect?

• mnmamax3
    4 years ago

I'm sorry for your loss - that has to be so devastating! Check with insurance in regards to an extension. In our area, we had a lot of hail damage that resulted in supplier delays and we were all granted an extension. I get that this was a single occurrence but it can't hurt to ask.

You are going to need some professional help on this... An architect will help you make floor plan changes if needed to improve the new space. Kitchen designer will help you make the most out of the kitchen space. Best thing I ever did was hiring someone to furnish/decorate my main level. The stress of decision making is real. Preparing each space for eventual finishing is huge (rough-ins for plumbing, electrical and HVAC).

• mmwhalen1999
    Original Author
    4 years ago

So the insurance co. sent an investigator. The fire is being labeled an accident but we kept recyclables in a bin under the little bump out with two windows closest in the above picture. He thinks the sunlight could have refracted through a bottle/jar (like a magnifying glass) and set the side of the house on fire. Once it got under the siding in that bump out it caught the old cedar siding on fire and shot up to the bedrooms. Freak thing.

The only thing holding us back is that we waited four months for a non-existent plan from the architect who ghosted us. We just got a new plan, the permit has been filed with the town and we're hopeful we get approval next week. That's why I'm trying to figure out where to cut corners before the work actually starts. We actually have a general contractor willing to start the week after next - just working out contract details. There will be necessary code details based on what the town says so some items are in limbo.

I didn't even think about hiring someone to decorate just one floor! That's brilliant. Our bedrooms can be done over time. We were denied an extension by insurance but are extremely lucky that we are in a flexible rental house (and of course that we are all safe!).

• apple_pie_order
    4 years ago

Minimize decision fatigue. Make one decision apply to all similar rooms. Use the same carpet throughout upstairs and downstairs. Use the same sheet vinyl for kitchen, laundry and bathrooms. Use the same faucets in all bathrooms, same towel bars, same shower fixtures, same toilets, sinks, tubs, and line of cabinets. You can use the same tile, too. Pick your brands in a middle budget range and stick with them. For example, Moen, Kohler, Daltile. Bosch dishwasher. GE appliances. Your choice. Every single kids' bedroom can have the same ceiling light fixture. The bathrooms can use the same model exhaust fan.

Don't try a fancy imported faucet here, a different one there and there in three finishes with towel bars from a different brand that don't quite match and are backordered to boot.

If there are brands that have always disappointed and annoyed you in the past, don't force yourself to look at their new stuff just "to be thorough". You aren't going to buy them, so don't bother looking.

Millions of people have been happy as clams with inexpensive Formica.

If you want a special thing such as a drop dead chandelier or a Speed Queen washer - dryer pair, then make that one thing the only special thing in that room, and be prepared with a Plan B substitution if you have to cut the budget at the last minute.

mmwhalen1999 thanked apple_pie_order