Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
santana_ortiz

What’s the rule of thumb for pictures and windows?

Santana Ortiz
4 years ago

Started to think about the design for backlit wood art to hang on my walls in the living room we are remodeling;

When determining what to make my length I started to wonder if there’s a rule of thumb for where to hang pictures in relations to your windows?

- I have 8ft ceilings

- From the ceiling to the trim of the window is 13.5“

- Window Size is 5‘ 6” (Trim Included)

(Attached picture is for visual of the window placement in comparison to my ceilings.

The wood art will be two long vertical “lattice” looking things with light behind them placed on the left wall to try and bring more light to that side of the room.)

Comments (8)

• calidesign
    4 years ago

You have to consider everything else in the room too- not just the window. What furniture will you have in the room? Are you using drapes? The proportions of the art to the furniture is more important than the window.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

IMO that is not how you bring light into the space. Art is what you love and can be many different sizes compared to windows . Show the whole space , do you have pot lights now? The best way to add lighting is with floor and table lamps and the art on the wall should be something you love in a size that that piece comes in .I have no idea if wood lattice is something I would consider but we need to see what you are thinking and also what else is going in this space .In other words we need a lot more info.

• Santana Ortiz
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you guys for feedback!
    A little more info to everyone’s comments:
    Attached are a few more pictures. 2 photos are from the old listing that gives more of an idea of the entire room, 1 photo is how I had it “decorated” (room was half-butt put together to make it functioning before the remodel), and the last picture is to give a better visual of what the wall art will be like.

As for the wall art, the lighting will only be set on the outside edge of the piece so that it cast light on the walls in either 2 or all 4 directions. My thoughts were that I would make 2 of these and put 1 on each side of the chairs. I do not want the actual piece itself in the middle to be lit up, I only want to use it to cast light on the walls.
    I was looking at ikea floor lamps that aim up at your walls but though this might add a more unique touch?

Idk really; this room is just so dark that I’m really just exploring all options right now. Lol

• grapefruit1_ar
    4 years ago

It looks like a very lovely room! I am confused about it being " very dark" which would be expected when a large window is covered with closed blinds? I do not have blinds at our windows, therefore our home is very bright.

If the blinds are needed for privacy you could ask for other suggestions instead of blinds. Start by at least opening the slats, or pulling the blinds up , or better yet...remove them.

• calidesign
    4 years ago

I would think of the wood art as an art piece rather than lighting, even if you incorporate some light into it. You could put one horizontal wood piece between the two chairs, with art in coordinating wood frames on either side of it. Personally, I would use an oversized, framed, horizontal mirror on the wall above the chairs. It will reflect light from your window during the day and your lamps at night. Keep your floor lamp in the corner and get a table lamp for your end table on the other side of the sofa. I would place the wood art pieces on either side of the fireplace, with art on the fireplace itself. That gives you ambient lighting around the focal point of the room in an area where you wouldn't place lamps. You can do large vertical pieces there, or smaller ones placed above narrow console tables. On the window itself, remove the very dated and unnecessary valance.

• littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    4 years ago

Yeah, I’m confused too. The room is dark because there are full length blinds and they are closed. That should be your focus - if privacy is needed, figure out another way to provide it rather than full coverage opaque blinds.

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

Placement of the wood art depends on what else goes on the wall. It has nothing to do with the window. If the art is the only thing on the wall, center it left to right and hang it so the center is at seated eye level.

If there is a sofa or chairs or console table on that wall, center it over the furniture and hang it 5 - 8" above.