Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roshi_covet

What length curtain to use for short window with dresser underneath?

Roshi Covet
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Hi!!

We are deciding what length curtain to use for this window in our master bedroom. The window is 34” above the floor and has a small ledge/sill underneath it. We are also planning to put a low dresser underneath the window. The windows in our condo all have curtain rods.

Right to the window sill
Slightly longer than window
Slightly above the floor
Floor length

Comments (12)

• PRO
    Flores Artscape
    4 years ago

It will depend on what the dresser looks like, really. Do you have a photo with the dresser?

• arcy_gw
    4 years ago

If the dresser is the width of the window, I would have it long enough it sits behind the dresser--no one will know how long it is if the hem is never seen. Pull the dresser out far enough the curtain can be easily opened and closed.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Take the curtain rods down. Use a shade : ) A roman shade would look great. You would need to go beyond the window and the rod is too short anyway. Do this..............

OR DO THIS.............longer rod, privacy and light beneath panels. Note the dresser is smaller than the window.

• Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    4 years ago

Roman shade, no curtains.

• thinkdesignlive
    4 years ago

Is that desk built in? I don’t think any drapes work on the right if it is. I’d say top down bottom up shades. I’d hate to bring the eye down even more with a top mounted shade (the soffit already draws the eye down). With top down bottom up you could get full flexibility of light and privacy when needed. The other thought I had was a full panel of drapes that stacks from the corner on the left to the window - with no drapes stacking on the right.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

No drapes and a nice roman shade or as Jan posted longer rod to the floor drapes and unless you leave space behind the dresser to close the drapes you will need a blind.BTW I think the dresser is not going to look good there with that dressing table in the corner.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago

A longer rod, panels ,privacy beneath, would help add some visual separation between two bulky casre pieces, the dresser and that table.....................

• Craig
    4 years ago

Curtains should be floor length. It's a design faux pas to have curtains terminate above the floor. I personally prefer to have them puddle a bit instead of hitting the floor perfectly. You also need a wider rod than the one pictured. The rule of thumb is to go 8″-12″ wider than your window so your open curtains can clear the window. Simply pull the dresser away from the wall a bit to be able to open and close the curtains behind it.

• Roshi Covet
    Original Author
    4 years ago

We haven’t bought a dresser yet, it’s just that we wanted to for additional storage, it’s a small condo. I have room to move the vanity a little away from the wall.
    I think it’s a good idea to make the rod wider, we put them on the studs that were next to the window, but will try to move them.

Thank you for all your answers!

• Roshi Covet
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Here’s the floorplan (tentative), I can either move the vanity next to the bed, or leave vanity where it is and put a nightstand by the bed.

• apple_pie_order
    4 years ago

Some low dressers have to be bolted to the wall for safety (see the Ikea website, for example). That will affect your design choices for window covers.

• Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    4 years ago

Does the bed allow for storage underneath? We cleared out several pieces of furniture from my son's room by buying a storage bed with drawers. Man, that made a world of difference to how much more spacious the room felt. I bought bed risers for the guest room and store all sorts of things under the guest bed, I highly recommend it.