Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cassie_mongold

Windows on Front of House

Cassie Mongold
4 years ago

Hi everyone. We live in a house from 1965 and are currently replacing the original windows. We have a predicament. I will attach pictures to help it make more sense but basically the issue is that there are three large windows in the front of our house. One in the center of the house (living room) and two on either side of that. The window in the center of the house is a large picture window on top with a sliding window on the bottom. The window on the right side bedroom is this style as well. The window company manager said that we can't do this kind of window in a bedroom because it doesn't meet code (not easy enough/large enough to open and escape from in event of a fire). So he said our option for the bedroom is two do two double hung windows. So there would basically be a big cross in the window. He also suggested we do this on the large living room window so they will match. I can come to terms with it on the bedroom window, but I hate to give up the great midcentury style and the great view of my living room window. So my question is, based on the attached photo of my house, do you think it would look good to keep the living room window the same but to do the two other windows as double hung? So the two bedroom windows would match one another, but the middle window would be different. They have a visualizer tool online (i'll attach this pictures too) but it basically looks like really bad photoshop so its hard to use it to make a decision. Thanks!

Comments (15)

• misecretary
    4 years ago

Picture #2 looks best with living room window being different. Try to keep the two bedroom windows the same size width and length.

PS I'd be tempted to have the new living room window slightly wider. hope this helps

• User
    4 years ago

I would not put in white windows on this house. I would change the door from white too. I would need more time to think about those windows.

• Cassie Mongold
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I hadn’t considered casements. I’ll think about that. The more research Ive Done the more I see ”just say not to double hungs” on a mid century house.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    4 years ago

yes every rending you provided killed the vibe completely. you have a solid case for casements lol.

• partim
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

My parents' 1966 split level has all casements. The wider windows (living room, dining room, master bedroom) have a wider fixed section and casements on either side.

Some MCMs have a fixed window on one side and casement on the other, not necessarily symmetrically. If properly proportioned it looks good too.

Another option is an awning window for the bottom portion, where you now have sliders. An awning window is like a casement that hinges at the top. Because the whole width opens, you have twice the opening size compared to a slider. Something like this but the bottom portion being larger. https://www.houzz.com/photos/29th-windows-modern-exterior-austin-phvw-vp~98153

For the left bedroom window, you might even be able to do an awning window for the whole window.

The strength of the window materials will limit the size of the awning or casement window that you can create. Fiberglass is stronger than vinyl I believe. You may want to talk to several window companies for alternatives.

• partim
    4 years ago

The bedroom windows need to be the minimum size to be safe egress windows in case of emergency. I assume those are the only windows in each of the 2 bedrooms. The rules around that depend on where you live, so look up what the requirements are in your area. It will probably be a minimum square footage (in Canada minimum 3.8 sq ft) , and also have minimums for height and width (15").

You can play with the proportions.

I think I like it asymmetrical better.

This is my favourite. Fixed windows for the larger glass areas. Casements for the bedroom for the smaller operable sides, and awning window for the bottom of the living room. Or if you don't open the living room window much, just a fixed window there, full glass.

• happyleg
    4 years ago

Your house is similar to mine and my windows are painted BAgE to match my brick more my brick is close to a white color but I don't like white windows on my house I have mine BEIGE Excuse my stupid phone They don't look good white

• happyleg
    4 years ago

I have double hung windows in my bedroom's I replaced all my windows in the house and I like them and it works and looks good So do your update but to BEIGE Or paint them

• partim
    4 years ago

Interestingly, my parents' wood casement windows are Anderson. Still lovely after 53 years, although I have heard that the company was sold and the quality is no longer as high as before.

• Em Dash
    4 years ago

you might want to speak with another window designer. we were in a similar situation except the window we were replacing was long in with but short in height. we had to keep egress, but wanted maximum window pane per what we had. spoke w a few designers and finally settled on making it into a huge glider. it has more egress (I don't know how anyone could realisticallyy get up and out of such a high window w a skinny opening like it was originally, now that the window is actually wider it seems possible) and more window pane than before. also, might depend on where you live, but here, not every window needs to provide egress, so we did a picture window as the second window in the room. for the one in the front of the house, would the door provide egress if it's in the same room?

• happyleg
    4 years ago

I heard Pella/ Anderson is the same/merged.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

please don't do the white. I love the dark color on your home. do the bronze exterior. (or the black). white will kill the look.

look at the Andersen E series picture or casement windows

no double hung. absolutely check in w/a good window company that can offer something else to fit the look of your house. Totally worth the money. (for the back you can do something cheaper).

• happyleg
    4 years ago

Yes ur dark, no white.