Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_7551962

Kitchen Layout-Beach House- Not sure where to begin!

User
4 years ago

We are at the very beginning stages of planning a kitchen remodel. Walls are now SW Agreeable Gray and we are not sure if we will be keeping the current layout/cabinetry (lacking a lot of storage space, a double wall oven, commercial style fridge freezer (probably will go with a SubZero), stove hood, etc.. Does anyone know what this cabinet color is called? Cypress? We were told the cabinets were custom but I have my doubts, haha.

Also would like to arrange for a gas stove (propane as gas is not allowed in Pawleys Island) and will likely get rid of the center island....Not sure though. Current stove is Jenn Aire, downdraft. Flooring will be replaced with wood throughout the home, once we finish the kitchen reno. Photos are from two previous listings of the home, the furnished ones are the most recent but the ceilings and trim are now white and the walls are SW Agreeable Gray (bye bye "accent" walls, ha!). Any ideas on maximizing storage space/ layout/light fixtures (probably going for silver over oil rubbed bronze) things to keep in mind? Any ideas are appreciated!

Comments (5)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

I have no idea what your question is. There are many items to be addressed and you need a kitchen designer to tackle this job. But before that you will need to understand that if you are replacing floors you will need the kitchen design done first. I see wood floors there so what is the plan for the flooring? There is no reason at this stage to be thinking wall color. If the kitchen doesn’t function for you there is no real reason to worry about the cabinets being custom or not. My first step would be a KD and then new lighting everywhere in LEDs 4000K is my go to to keep colors the same at night. You need to have a budget and if you are redoing make it big.

• wilson853
    4 years ago

I would definitely move the range off of the island and if you plan to keep the peninsula I would make it one height for prep and buffets. If you have enough length on the exterior wall, one of the easiest and least expensive layouts would be to keep the plumbing in its present location and create a single wall kitchen with a parallel island for serving and seating, with the refrigerator to the right of the sink keeping it near the dining table and range to the left for easy exterior venting. It's best to post measurements so some of the layout folks can give you better feedback.

Traditional Kitchen · More Info

California Breeze Transitional · More Info

Hawthorn Woods Home Addition · More Info

User thanked wilson853
  • flopsycat1
    4 years ago

No help here, but I’m amazed by the photos. In the listing pics, the kitchen looks enormous- different perspective and wide angle lens. Hard to believe that it’s the same room. Realtor magic tricks.

Good luck with your project.

• User
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

@wilson853- Thank you so much- that is VERY helpful! I am out of town (recovering from C4-C7 disc replacement and a cage fusion) but will post measurements once I'm back. I love all of of these ideas and that was a great idea concerning the plumbing, etc. My biggest problem is storage- my previous home had a walk in pantry, great flow and a ton of storage so this is quite a change.

@flopsycat1- Oh I totally agree on the listing photos! They are SO deceptive! The ones without furniture/ all beige are from 2016 and the yellow/teal ones are from the most recent listing.

@Patricia Colwell Consulting Thank you and I apologize for the confusion. I am mainly seeking ideas, we definitely plan on utilizing a kitchen designer once we live in the space for a bit to get a feel for the home. I am currently recovering from neck surgery at my mothers home 3 hours away so I have not even moved in yet although my husband has. The painting was done immediately after we closed- while I understand it is not the typical sequence I could not live with the yellow/teal color scheme, at all. For flooring I was thinking a much darker wood but it will depend on the kitchen cabinetry and will need to work for the entire home as we are redoing all of the current hardwood flooring. Our realtor mentioned LVP as a option although I have no experience with it and am partial to wood. Our budget for the kitchen remodel (excluding flooring) is 75k, although but could go to 100k if needed. I apologize again for the confusion and multiple questions- there is just so much to be done that it is very overwhelming. I just wanted as many opinions and options possible so I unfortunately did not clarify that I was seeking ideas as well as I could have.

Flooring idea:

More background: It's a awkward layout all around and we were sold on the view (but as my mother said, "You can't LIVE in a view"). It definitely needs a lot of TLC, but paint has made a world of difference so far (even the ceilings were painted yellow, argh). I'm having a difficult time with the dining/ living room as well but the kitchen is first on the list. My husband was promoted in November, we sold our former home in 4 days for over asking price and had to be out by December 22nd, closed on this home in January and I found out that I was having major neck surgery the week that we closed. In short- It's been a wild few months! I've attached additional photos of the living room & dining room here for a better idea of the floorplan. We built our previous home so this is completely out of my realm of experience and any/ all advice/ ideas are welcome!

More photos of the rest of the 3rd floor, off of the kitchen. All photos are taken from the previous listings- none of the paint/lighting/furniture choices are mine.

The doorway pictured leads to a half bath. Opposite of the three door iis the elevator with a door for access- we will likely hang a TV on this wall as well, the photo makes it look a lot smaller than it is but the wall is the same size as the length of the doors opposite it).

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

This looks like an awesome house so will be a great job to get right . Hope you take your time with recovery our son had a similar surgery and it took time to get back to his old self.