Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
corinne_masterson

I need a third lamp!

I need a table lamp to help with the lighting in my living room. My husband constantly complains that our two floor lamps are insufficient.

[I only need advice about what kind of lamp to use. Advice that I should change anything else in the room will weaken my already very fragile sense of self esteem 👶🏻]

What kind of table lamp should I be looking for (to sit atop the small bamileke stool near my cesca chair)?

I am looking for something a little more interesting & maybe colorful to break things up a bit.

Comments (47)

• suezbell
    4 years ago

Edited prior comment to add a paragraph. Good luck with your search. Let us know how it turns out.

Corinne Masterson thanked suezbell
  • Corinne Masterson
    Original Author
    4 years ago

<3 thank you suz! I actually thought about those combos AFTER I picked up a little tulip table that I ended up swapping places with that stool. It would probably have been the best option.

You think it’s best if I get a lamp with a white shade, huh? I think I knew in my heart this was true but I didn’t want to admit it lol! I was hoping for something a little more funky and less obstructive of the view like a glass or metal shade. Admittedly though, those types of lamps do not make for good ambient light.

I think you are spot on.

• suezbell
    4 years ago

The metal shades block light and the glass ones have you looking at a bulb. But you might be able to add a bit of a funky vibe

They can be a bit expensive but if you want to consider "funky" and might like glass, see what you can find in Tiffany stained glass style lamp shades -- maybe just a small one as an accent lamp "put front and center" such as replacing something you have by/in front of the tv.

https://www.google.com/search?q=tiny+tiffany+style+stained+glass+lamp&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwiklPmy3uXnAhWNMlMKHV5MAisQ2-cCegQIABAA&oq=tiny+tiffany+style+stained+glass+lamp&gs_l=img.3...1415654.1423383..1423656...0.0..1.365.3810.32j3j1j1......0....1..gws-wiz-img.....0..0i67j0j0i131.B_mIFrCCOJg&ei=AmxRXqSLM43lzALemInYAg&bih=628&biw=1366#imgrc=N3sg7chp13QJiM

Like the white jug. If it holds water well, you might consider adding a cutting of heart leaf philodendron if that spot gets enough natural light -- or try setting that by the window on your barrel table. It is a plant that really doesn't take much light or care but mine do best with the morning sun and can grow a while in water before needing to be planted in dirt.

Corinne Masterson thanked suezbell
  • PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    4 years ago

I know you asked for a table lamp, but I would suggest moving the floor lamp from the far corner over there. The small stool sits low so the light from it would be lost to the floor and not really give him more task lighting. I think it would go well with that chair.

Then maybe add an end table to the far corner, which could house the more vibrant lamp house are looking for.

Corinne Masterson thanked RL Relocation LLC
  • Corinne Masterson
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you everyone for the tips!! I will probably go with something like the lamps in the last photo post. RL I tried something like your idea but my husband said it looked very “busy” with so many tables (and he may have been right). I’m not sure if it translates via photo but all of the rooms in my house are Willy Wonka tiny lol!

Suzebell I actually meant to do that with all of my shades! But alas I got distracted 😞maybe I will her that done now that I have the chance. I would love to brighten the room. Did I mention I hate that paint color? BM Berber White

• Corinne Masterson
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Oh one more question ***

I should be trying to get my lamp roughly the same height as the floor lamps right?

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Oh no, that would be a very tall lamp and either end up being a candlestick or too big for that small table... I dont agree with your hubby hahahaha.

• Corinne Masterson
    Original Author
    4 years ago

^ RL thank you I agree <3 and thank god that takes some pressure off of me lol

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    4 years ago

I would go to another room of the house and borrow a lamp to set on that table and let him look at how impractical that really is.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    4 years ago

you would be sitting next to a lampshade and have no room to set stuff down on it anymore.

• hollybar
    4 years ago

Try this...move the floorlamp with the smaller footprint near the stool, larger floorlamp where the two walls meet, then a fab lamp on the table. This will give light and allow a view from low to high on the 2 lamp wall, which can help a small space look larger.

Corinne Masterson thanked hollybar
  • hemina
    4 years ago

Can you add a plug in wall mounted pendant? Or swing arm wall lamp?

Corinne Masterson thanked hemina
  • freedomplace1
    4 years ago

I think something like this could be nice in that spot.

Mer 26.5" Glass and Rope Table Lamp, Brown and Clear · More Info

Corinne Masterson thanked freedomplace1
  • J Williams
    4 years ago

What about a gooseneck lamp? Or something wall mounted?

Corinne Masterson thanked J Williams
  • J Williams
    4 years ago

Corinne Masterson thanked J Williams
  • PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    4 years ago

I think you should show us what the smaller floor lamp looks like there.

• Corinne Masterson
    Original Author
    4 years ago

A wall mounted lamp is a great idea that I didn’t even consider! Can I get away with that?

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    4 years ago

Is there a plug near by?

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    4 years ago

I think you would have to make some sort of grouping to balance it and as long as you never plan on curtain panels ..

• Gcubed
    4 years ago

I like the idea of a wall mount OR try moving the smaller floor lamp. That is not the right spot for a table lamp. A lamp near the sofa would be nice though.

Corinne Masterson thanked Gcubed
  • freedomplace1
    4 years ago

This is Chelsea Double Sconce - Black, Urban Outfitters

• Corinne Masterson
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I’ve been meaning to add some art to that wall anyway : ) this is my perfect solution

RL- I don’t actually think there is an outlet near that wall lol but I’m already excited and there’s no stopping this train now baby

Freedom I love that sconce. It has inspired me to look for a double sconce

• Corinne Masterson
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Eh?

• Corinne Masterson
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Is this the same lamp just more expensive lol

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    4 years ago

Ok things to keep in mind

1. where is the outlet you can use?

2. make sure it has a cord and plug, and also make sure it has a switch on the body, as one on the cord may be out of reach, though I do have a solution for that and this might be a handy one, you can get a table dimmer for it.

3. Also, these types of lights are very easy to rewire, ( i used to repair lamps of all kinds), so my ideal situation is that you measure and add a new lamp cord.

4. have him sit in the chair before you hang it so you can determine a good height.

5. having the ability to swing it out of the way will be very helpful

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    4 years ago

Do also keep in mind how close the chair is to the wall, this could swing out and be a hairdryer at the wrong length.

• Corinne Masterson
    Original Author
    4 years ago

^ RL- you mean rewiring a wall lamp to a plug in wall lamp?? You can do that?

I bought an extension cord & some cord clips.

Maybe it can double as a heat lamp lol

• freedomplace1
    4 years ago

I hope you enjoy the new lamp. I like that style. I wonder about having a light right over my head, too, as it sort of appears in pic I posted - but light may actually be further back ... It would probably depend on positioning of chair/distance from wall, positioning of lights., etc., and these seem to be customizable. I think it's fun, and will definitely add an interesting vibe + balance with your 2 lamps on other side. Your space looks great, btw.

Glad I could help. : )

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    4 years ago

You can do that but much easier to buy one that already has cord. What I meant is instead of using a bulky extension cord you can just have the cord on it rewired to the right length.

• Corinne Masterson
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Ahhh I understand. Should have arrived today- I will update when installed : )

• Corinne Masterson
    Original Author
    4 years ago

How do I position this thing! 😩 My heart says to move it down an inch or 2 but I’m afraid it will light someone’s head on fire lol. Maybe an inch down and 2 inches to the right to avoid that? Will that be too far sideways to relate to the chair?

• freedomplace1
    4 years ago

It's a substantial piece. I would move it over. Those lamps are going to cast quite a bit of light, and I don't think you need a spotlight right over chair. It's a sconce on chair wall/immediately adjacent... and a substantial sconce; so wherever you place it there, it will relate to chair. Just arrange it how you like, in terms of a general sconce on that wall.

• Corinne Masterson
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you for your opinion- ok so move it over to the right? How is the height where it is?

• freedomplace1
    4 years ago

Yes, over to the right, and height looks good to me. If you can turn on sconce while you're working out the placement, that could give you an even better view/feel for how it will work there. I like it. It's definitely a statement piece.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    4 years ago

This is what I was nervous about. its a bit large, and kinda feels bigger than the chair lol. thats why I suggested the smaller single light. Whatever light bulb you bought for it, you will need a lower wattage, this doesn't have a dimmer or three-way switch does it?

NOT any lower than you have it right there, you may want it higher. pull the chair over to where it goes and see where it lands.

• Corinne Masterson
    Original Author
    4 years ago

RL. I wanted to believe that you were wrong so I hung the light thinking it would all be ok. It is not ok lol. You’re right. The fixture is too big. The length of the bottom arm is extra awkward from behind. Also, and I guess this is fixable technically, the included bulbs are super bright LEDs.
    Lastly, the cord bothers me more than I anticipated. I‘ve been inspired to have an electrician install a true wall mounted sconce. But how big? What kind?

• Corinne Masterson
    Original Author
    4 years ago

What about these?

• Gcubed
    4 years ago

I used this plug in sconce and hid the wires/painted cover to match walls. And plugged it in to a dimmer at the outlet so now the light turns on/off with remote and dims.

Corinne Masterson thanked Gcubed
  • Corinne Masterson
    Original Author
    4 years ago

It looks good : ) I planned to do the same. But my extension cord has to stretch halfway to China before it reaches an outlet 😩.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    4 years ago

Ok, now you will bring a new set of issues lol.

1. I don't see any power nearby to have him put in a junction box, so he will have to fish wires from somewhere.........IDK where that is.

2.I'm just not sure that is the best idea.

lol, well he wanted a light, and boy did he get it hahaha. j.k I know you thought you had it! With an older home, you could end up running into issues trying to put a junction box there...

So I will go back to what I said before, it just needs to be rewired to the right length and have a switch put where it needs to be, shouldn't cost more than 35 dollars to do that at a lamp store, but any handy person could do it fairly easily.

So I say stick with the cord, and do as mentioned above with the cord cover.

Also, I know the style is appealing, but having a sconce stick straight out into that area would be well, in the way if you ask me. I would want something that could be push flush to the all when not in use.

On a VERY side note, do you think there used to be a transom window above the doorway into the room by the staircase......im just curious I feel like I can almost see the outline.

Lastly I still want to see what it looks like to have the smaller floor lamp over there..

This is the lamp I had put in to your room and this is the right scale, plus it has a switch on the backplate

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Globe-Electric-McKibbin-1-Light-Matte-Black-Plug-In-or-Hardwire-Swing-Arm-Wall-Sconce-51345/308060249

• Corinne Masterson
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Oh maybe!! I never noticed that before. The room you’re referring to is a kitchen. Maybe it was added on? Doubtful though as the house is cape cod style with a bedroom above it.

Hm- I hear what you’re saying about the junction box. So far the contractor didn’t seem concerned but he is not an electrician.

I can take a photo of the floor lamp in that spot, but I am now randomly super emotionally attached to the idea of a wall sconce on that wall.

I also see what you’re saying about a sconce that juts out. I found a website yesterday full of sconces that I lurve. Some of them are more flush with the wall.

* Does my wall sconce need to have some black in it? I’m guessing that’s a yes right?

* Do you think any of these will work? [[they can be made in different finishes/colors]]

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    4 years ago

No to a clear globe, the light bulb will shine directly into your eye. just an fyi.

No, it does not need to have black, its just common and does fit your style.

What you are looking for is called a wall swing arm lamp, that might help you in your search.

• jay06
    4 years ago

I know your husband doesn't like the idea, but I think moving the floor lamp there is not only the most logical decision, but also the most attractive.

• Gcubed
    4 years ago

What if you swapped the places of the sconce you bought with the corner floor lamp? One of the sconce heads can be directed more down for the corner of sofa and the other more out/up for general lighting.

Just a thought before you return the sconce (if you liked that style in general)