Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nini804

What’s one thing you miss? And one thing you are taking comfort in?

nini804
4 years ago

I miss church! 😔 I miss the calming feeling of being in my church, and the comfort of the liturgy I’ve known my whole life. Lent is such a special time for me spiritually, and I just miss being in church. I pray we will be able to have services by Holy Week, but it doesn’t seem likely.

It has been fun spending so much more time with my 17 and 20 year olds, especially now that ds is home from college. 😩

Dd has introduced me to Tik Tok...and seeing the creativity of the kids on it is amazing! I’m glad that Spring is coming and our yard is looking so pretty. I am also grateful for my friends...I have two group text chains with two different sets of friends and we send silly stuff to make each other laugh. I love my friends! 😊

Comments (60)

• OllieJane
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I really haven't had time to miss anything yet. I know, I will.

I am just so glad we are able to get outside and walk. The weather has been good here and so we can work out in the yard too. We may open our pool up earlier than normal.

nini804 thanked OllieJane
  • bpath
    4 years ago

DLM, uh-oh! What DID I say? We borrowed it from LaVerne and Shirley and added it to our ”family words”! I’ll bet I really blew it with that one. We use it to mean combined craziness, confusion, extraordinary inconvenience. Educate me! Is it even Yiddish? (In which case, I’ll have to tell all those “How Jewish Are You?” Facebook quizzes that they are wrong about me, which of course they are anyway lol) What does it really mean (if you can type it here without violating standards) and is there a word, Yiddish or otherwise, that would work?

nini804 thanked bpath
  • jojoco
    4 years ago

Bpath, As soon as I read that word, I started singing the opening to Laverne and Shirley. Great minds or crazy ones think alike.

I miss the time when I didn’t worry about my parents. They are well-stocked and very safe in their apartment in New York but still, I worry that they might get sick. We talked about bringing them to my house, but their doctors are in Manhattan and they would receive more prioritized care in NYC. Plus they are ferociously independent and enjoy their city life.

I take comfort in the fact that I am able to hunker down comfortably at home with my dh, son and three dogs. Fortunately, the dogs seem to thrive on excessive affection.

Oh, that and a short stack of chocolate chip pancakes with cinnamon maple syrup.

nini804 thanked jojoco
  • mama goose_gw zn6OH
    4 years ago

I am, and always have been, an introvert and 'stay-at-home', so I don't miss activities. I miss looking forward to my niece's wedding, which was to take place on March 28. It would have been a big affair, with friends and family planning to fly in from several states. The bride was so excited about her dress, when as a kid she was a tomboy who would rather be on a horse than play dress-up.

We are well-acquainted with the groom's family--I met him before he was born. ;) His mother was pregnant with him the first time she and I met. Her older daughter and my older daughter have been friends since kindergarten, still BFFs in their 30's. His father was my children's teacher, and my son's soccer coach.

My heart aches for this young couple, who wanted all their friends and family to share in their joy. My dear FIL, who was trying to hold on until the wedding, to see his youngest granddaughter married, passed away earlier this month. They have that grief, and now this.

I'm sure they will weather the storm and be fine. I don't know yet how they're going to handle the logistics, if they will still exchange vows, and let guests make the decision whether or not to attend. As of two days ago she was asking if we had an item she needed for a centerpiece.

Should I take comfort in the fact that my FIL will not be part of the pandemic? He was in poor health for two years, during which I took responsibility for taking him in every week for a blood count, and if necessary, transfusions the next day. He would not have survived an infection, and I would also have been at greater risk if I couldn't isolate/social distance. I'm still responsible for part of my father's care, but I think I (and his cardiologist) have convinced him to stay at home and not take chances. I will still go to his house, and if he needs anything essential I will pick it up for him. I'm over 60--healthy, but also in a high-risk group. If he should get the virus, I will stay with him, rather than bring it home to my DD and her family.

I also miss spending time with my FIL, so that's two things I miss.

nini804 thanked mama goose_gw zn6OH
  • morz8 - Washington Coast
    4 years ago

I miss my mother. She is 93 and in assisted living 2 hours away. As of Friday, we are unable to visit, only drop things off at the entrance. I go every week and take her favorite style depends, puzzle books, her full fat ice cream for her apartment freezer to try to up her calorie intake, do her personal laundry. Staff would do it but she has some dementia and has so far only allowed them to do her sheets and towels, not her clothing or pajamas.

I take comfort in my nice home on an acre and this weeks sunshine where I can get outside. In many extended family around us making it possible to know if we are running low on anything, we'll share. I feel uplifted for having finished my tax prep yesterday, this morning I'll call my accountant and see if she'd like me to drop it off.

nini804 thanked morz8 - Washington Coast
  • DLM2000-GW
    4 years ago

@bpath (why doesn't the tagging work for me consistently?) a schlemazel is a hapless person, unlucky, always getting the short end of the stick. If what you meant to say was craziness the word is mishegas as in I can't deal with all this mishegas. Someone acting crazy is meshugenah as in he's meshugenah. All this is phonetic spelling and you can find variations. More than you would ever want to know here

nini804 thanked DLM2000-GW
  • Jilly
    4 years ago

morz, my heart goes out to you and others not able to be with their loved ones who are in isolation. ❤️

nini804 thanked Jilly
  • Sister Sunnie
    4 years ago

I've been so busy with new demands at the office that I havent had time to miss anything. Its work (behind locked doors) and more work, then home to call family and check in, eat and crash. Wash, rinse and repeat......

nini804 thanked Sister Sunnie
  • roarah
    4 years ago

I miss the kids playing outside with friends. I found such hope and comfort in how many businesses are doing gracious things like opening hours for our most vulnerable.

nini804 thanked roarah
  • dedtired
    4 years ago

I miss doing things without guilt. I’ve had to run to the grocery store twice, I went to the dentist yesterday and now I am heading to the post office to send my tax information to my accountant. I feel guilty every time I do anything but I haven’t figured out how to be completely isolated.

I really miss my volunteer work at the library and seeing my friends there. I also miss the mo ery that’s gone out the window with the tanking of the market. Hopefully that will return sooner rather than later.

i take comfort in being able to socialize with friends by phone and internet. This includes you. Imagine how much worse this would be if it was pre-internet days.

nini804 thanked dedtired
  • cawaps
    4 years ago

I miss my choirs.

nini804 thanked cawaps
  • amj0517
    4 years ago

I miss being able to run to the grocery store on whim to get ingredients for a recipe that I want to make tonight.

I take comfort in knowing that we are doing everything we can to protect our family by staying home.

I am thankful that we have the flexibility to work remotely and stay with our kids. Not everyone is as fortunate.

nini804 thanked amj0517
  • IdaClaire
    4 years ago

I miss ... normalcy.

I take comfort in the relative normalcy that still exists between the walls of my own home. Our financial investments have taken a huge hit (whose haven't?), and we still don't how this will all play out, but I still have my loved ones. I still have my kitties. I still have those trappings of a comfortable nest around me that cause me to be even more thankful than ever for the convenience and comfort they provide, and I try to hold on to my faith in the creator -- although fully realizing that in those darker moments when I lose my grip, the creator retains a firm and loving hold on me.

nini804 thanked IdaClaire
  • Tina Marie
    4 years ago

Yes, normalcy. I am a bit of a homebody, but I love my lunches, etc. out with friends. I usually have at least one a week, but that stopped this week. I'm going to miss seeing my dad, as his AL facility went on lock-down today. I take comfort in the fact that he has WONDERFUL caregivers (in fact two we had with my grandmother) and they all go on about how cute he is, etc. Today he had his first visit with the facility NP, and she called me afterwards to follow-up. She told me he was a "ray of sunshine". I am so thankful for the fact that even with all my dad deals with, he has a wonderful outlook. If only we could transfer a bit of that to my MIL. . . LOL!!

nini804 thanked Tina Marie
  • Joaniepoanie
    4 years ago

I miss eating out. Even though restaurants are open for takeout, we’re not doing it for the time being.

nini804 thanked Joaniepoanie
  • Fun2BHere
    4 years ago

I haven't had time to miss anything yet. My contractor will be resuming tasks tomorrow that were interrupted by Christmas last year. Once you are off his schedule, you go to the back of the line. All of this work is on the outside of my home, so we aren't violating social distancing rules.

I'm so thankful for the Internet, online shopping and delivery. I can't imagine how hard this might be without the entertainment we stream and the products we receive on our doorstep. Our physician even has video visits.

nini804 thanked Fun2BHere
  • blubird
    4 years ago

To continue with Laverne & Shirley, the definition for schlemiel is the person who spills the soup, the schlemazel is the poor, hapless person who gets the soup spilled on him.

i miss being able to freely walk into a supermarket or craft store to pick up what I need. On the other hand, I’ve seen more people walking around my neighborhood than I have in the almost 20 years I’ve been here.

nini804 thanked blubird
  • Michele
    4 years ago

I’m not a regular churchgoer but I go. It’s so strange, during Lent and knowing there’s no mass.

Here’s another. Baseball!

I never paid attention to it before I met my husband in 1983. Each year I look forward to it more than the last. I so enjoy it.

We don’t go out to eat, so I’m not missing that but I feel bad for everyone involved. People will have a rough time. Owners and staff. Many storefronts here have signs up. “Closed for two weeks...”

Yoga studio. I will miss it. They will be conducting on-line classes. I have to check them out. I hope they manage to stay in business. I have a hard time practicing at home. I will just have to focus.

Thank God my daughter and son-in-law’s wedding was mid February. Had it been this month or next, there would have been some hard decisions to make.

nini804 thanked Michele
  • Sueb20
    4 years ago

I am SO GLAD WE DIDN"T DOWNSIZE.

nini804 thanked Sueb20
  • 3katz4me
    4 years ago

I miss going out to eat and seeing other people and I miss the peace and stability I felt prior to this ordeal. I take comfort in the fact I have a comfortable home to hunker down in and I'm not alone - I have DH and the cats. The cats' blissful ignorance brings me peace and joy when I look at them curled up or stretched out in the sun enjoying their day. I also take comfort in the fact I'm retired and don't have to deal with all the stuff that would be going on if I was still working at my last job. I shudder to think of it.

nini804 thanked 3katz4me
  • Bunny
    4 years ago

Michele, yes, baseball!!! When all else fails, there's baseball. Last night I wanted to watch something other than the news and found the complete 2017 Super Bowl. Only trouble is I'm neither a Pats or Falcons fan, so I muted it and read my book.

nini804 thanked Bunny
  • IdaClaire
    4 years ago

LOL... blissful ignorance. They just sit around smiling.

nini804 thanked IdaClaire
  • User
    4 years ago

I miss Friday date night. Dh misses the Bruins and college baseball. A neighbor would often offer his tickets. He's holding out hope for MLB, but not sure how that's going to go.

nini804 thanked User
  • jmck_nc
    4 years ago

I miss my routine, or knowing I have choices. I have been to the grocery store twice already this week with mixed results. I had my routine mammogram today...I couldn't see putting it off. As I finished up with the tax preparer taking care of my mother's return today, they announced the filing delay...so that was a wasted contact, but I'm glad it is done.

I feel badly for my son and DIL. They were to leave on their (delayed) honeymoon on March 27 and that will not be happening. They are unlikely to see any refund on the resort fee, but maybe the flights. But, at least they had a beautiful wedding in October.

I'm happy it is warm enough for long walks and gardening and that though we keep having rain in the forecast, it is mostly a couple hours vs all day.

nini804 thanked jmck_nc
  • blfenton
    4 years ago

Schlimazel is how it's spelled

nini804 thanked blfenton
  • arkansas girl
    4 years ago

I miss normalcy of everything. I take comfort in still being able to go take my dog for a walk in the neighborhood, never hardly see another person...maybe one or two and no one close to me at all.

nini804 thanked arkansas girl
  • LynnNM
    4 years ago

I miss lunches out with my girlfriends. I miss seeing them, sitting around a table at one of our favorite restaurants just chatting and laughing. What is bringing me comfort is having DH home here with me, as he’s now retired. He very much misses seeing his beloved golf tournaments on tv. I’m just glad that we hadn’t planned on flying out to attend the Masters golf tournament this year!

nini804 thanked LynnNM
  • bpath
    4 years ago

Is Yiddish written with Hebrew letters, or with Latin letters? Can it be written in Cyrillic?

I take comfort in going down rabbit holes lol

nini804 thanked bpath
  • graywings123
    4 years ago

I take comfort in random videos. This: penguins walking down stairs:

Penguins

nini804 thanked graywings123
  • sableincal
    4 years ago

Yiddish is written with Hebrew letters, but certainly is fine in English. And considering millions of Russian Jews who may not have known Hebrew, it must appear in Cyrillic also!

nini804 thanked sableincal
  • blfenton
    4 years ago

Graywings - did you read any of the comments following your video, which was very cute by the way.

One of the comments was from a mom who indicated that she had been home-schooling an 11 year old and an 8 year old for 1 hour and 11 minutes. From that experience she figures that teachers should earn a billion dollars a year.

nini804 thanked blfenton
  • daisychain Zn3b
    4 years ago

Oh ya, graywings. That's good.

I miss the excitement of attending my DD's events that have all been cancelled or postponed. I miss being able to finish up the term with my students and have a proper good-bye.

Haven't really had downtime yet, but I guess I am taking comfort in planning for remote learning with my teaching partner. She is so much fun and we are working really hard together to make this a success. I'd be a mess without her.

nini804 thanked daisychain Zn3b
  • robo (z6a)
    4 years ago

Schmozel/shemozzel - a disorganized mess! Uk corruption of yiddish (I grew up with this word as well)

pre-Emmett I would have been luxuriating in work from home and cleaning my cupboards. Now I’m struggling to keep up with work/childcare/puppy care. So I miss my old lazy lifestyle but I take comfort in my sunny happy kid. Who is much more adaptable than I am.

nini804 thanked robo (z6a)
  • User
    4 years ago

He is so adorable, Robo. I love the neighborhood map you made for him! Also the storage bins with the animals. What a happy picture.

nini804 thanked User
  • Fun2BHere
    4 years ago

@robo (z6a), Emmett is growing and changing so fast. He looks like he's moving from toddler to little boy now, a bittersweet change.

nini804 thanked Fun2BHere
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    4 years ago

NIce job roboMom! Love the map.

nini804 thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • jakabedy
    4 years ago

I've in my fifth month of dieting, so I haven't been spending enough time in restaurants to miss them now. I'm also on a skeleton crew of essential workers, so I'm still at work this week and next. It's pretty much business as usual for my independent work, with the only change being meetings are now by Zoom or by phone and my workplace is blissfully quiet.

I miss going to the movie theater. I usually go once or twice a month.

nini804 thanked jakabedy
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    4 years ago

Jakabedy, I like to go to an actual theatre too... : ( Congrats on the 5 months, that's a long time. : )

• Sueb20
    4 years ago

We have two couples that we‘re close with. Twice now, we have gotten together to have a drink. Outside, in one of our own yards. Sitting 6’ apart. Wearing winter coats because this is New England. Just a suggestion for those missing socializing! Plus. We walk to and from, so we’re also getting exercise. 😉

nini804 thanked Sueb20
  • ladypat1
    4 years ago

I am an early morning person. I miss getting out and running errands, or working in yard. Weather is not permitting yard work yet. I take comfort in my livingroom with its full wall of books and there are still some I have not read, like money in the bank, especially since the library has closed down.

nini804 thanked ladypat1
  • Feathers11
    4 years ago

I work mostly from home but commute 2 days a week. When I walk into the building I always pass a janitorial worker who's cleaning the stairs. I stopped apologizing long ago for walking over her newly cleaned steps because it became redundant. She pauses to greet me and has the loveliest smile, and we exchange a few kind words. I really miss her! I hope she's ok, and I hope my employer is taking care of her financially. It's in the back of my mind to do something special for her when I see her again.

I'm enjoying the humor and sensibility of my kids' generation in dealing with this. I'm seeing a lot of memes targeted for the 20-30 age group that are very funny and clever, but have underlying messages promoting positivity, selflessness (we need that) and being rational and safe during this time. They get it... we don't think they do, but they do.

nini804 thanked Feathers11
  • Springroz
    4 years ago

I miss my dance family! We danced on Mondays 6-8, Thursdays 6-7:30, and usually got together somewhere to dance on Saturday evenings.

nini804 thanked Springroz
  • Sueb20
    4 years ago

I have a FaceTime “cocktail hour” planned with a group of friends. We’ve agreed that no one needs to get dressed or comb their hair for it. I’m glad I have friends who are creative about socializing!

nini804 thanked Sueb20
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    4 years ago

I bought roses and some pretty lemon leaf greens today, and made bouquets for us 3 girlZ. I think I will do that regularly. We all need cheering up.

Of course, I had to go to the grocer's to do it so that's not a very good track record (3x since Sunday). I had a dr.s apptmt next to the WF so I dropped in. I need to rethink that logic. Store was empty tho, and shelves full.

nini804 thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • maire_cate
    4 years ago

I miss spontaneity.

Going for coffee after the gym with my girlfriends.

Deciding at 3 what we want for dinner and and then running to the store to pick up the ingredients.

Going to an early movie and then out to dinner.

Baking something special that DD likes and delivering it to her condo.

Stopping by my GD's swimming lesson or gymnastic class or volunteering to babysit so my DDIL can run errands.

Spending some time with 2 of my neighbors who are recovering from surgery and giving them DH's home made bread.

.........and all the other little errands that I'd do on the spur of the moment.........

I do take great comfort in knowing that DH and I are as prepared for this as we can be and thankful that our children are nearby.

nini804 thanked maire_cate
  • arcy_gw
    4 years ago

I was thinking yesterday--life hasn't changed YET. Church: I go to adoration on my way to work and find Father saying Mass--telecasting on Facebook and stayed so, so far that is all same same. This Sunday it won't be. DH goes to work as usual, I do to--my 'work' has changed as students are 'on line' but still. Card group is cancelled..we take our walks as weather permits as usual.DH's compound bow league has been on until this coming week but it was near the last weeks anyway. Our offspring all live in other States. They all continue to work--DD#1 is working from home managing her counties website. DD#2 is working on a treatment in her laboratory for this virus. The cows are peculating--it's about three weeks out yet. Son like father is doing his engineering thing...I think those of us who are not movers and shakers who are home bodies are really not as affected. I shop once a week. Will go this morning at 6 as usual..will get what I can. Yesterday shopping the local walmart for students, what I saw says I will be able to get what I want--milk/fresh vegis/fruit. I buy sales so have a freezer full of meat and staples. Stay calm enjoy being out of the rat race. Life here in the quiet simpler lives is really not so bad.

nini804 thanked arcy_gw
  • runninginplace
    4 years ago

I miss exercising. I should probably amend that: I miss my exercise routine that required going someplace to move my body. I'm not a person who is good about being self motivated to do that. So I was so happy that last fall I had FINALLY gotten into a good regular pattern: 3 mornings/week Pilates class followed by an hour of weight training at the gym. After 3 months of enforced absence for medical stuff I had finally been given the ok to start my routine again when the closures started.

I take comfort that we are very blessed to be retired and able to live pretty much as we usually do with no real disruption of our daily life. There are no jobs to adjust, no children to nurture, our elderly relatives are safe and protected. We've got plenty of supplies on hand and access to tv, books and recreation to keep us entertained.

But even if we are ok for now, I worry about people I know and love as well as those I don't who are or will be facing dire financial problems. I worry about people getting sick and not being able to get medical help. I worry how long this pandemic will have our entire world at a standstill

nini804 thanked runninginplace
  • gsciencechick
    4 years ago

Sports! March Madness was set to begin this week. The sports channels are really hurting for content. Our team had a great season and won't get to play in the tournament.

I know I will miss the students. The semester was kind of ripped away from us.

I can take comfort in that it's safe to go outside, that I have a walkable neighborhood and just tuned up my bike to get on the local greenway. Weather is overall pretty favorable here.

• nosoccermom
    4 years ago

Miss: Attending planned conferences, eating out my yoga classes.

Comfort: We prepared months ago and made our kids prepare, too.

I love how families in my neighborhood are outside walking and biking --- keeping distance.

The flowering cherry trees everywhere!