Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
umdwaverider

Help with Kitchen Cabinet and Dishwasher Layout

Daniel
4 years ago

Long story short, I'm doing a kitchen update, and I can't make up my mind about the exact layout, so I'd appreciate any input anyone can provide. The main issues are the location of the pantry and dishwasher. I already received the sink/island counter, and it's too long (my fault), but that gives me about 6" of flexibility with the sink location (as I'll show below). The attached pictures show the layout and how I can't make small decisions like these :)

A few things are set in stone:

• Kitchen shape
  • Sink location (within about 6")
  • Appliances remain on existing sides of kitchen
  • Windows stay where they are

For the dishwasher:

Due to the extra length of the counter, I have up to 30" of space to the left of the sink.

• With the dishwasher, or 24" of cabinets, to the left of the sink, I'd just trim the counter by 6"
  • If the dishwasher is to the right of the sink, I can have up to 30" of cabinets to the left.

For the pantry:

I don't think putting it or the fridge on the other end of the counters is the best idea since that will partially block the window (which is only 1' from the wall). But the 3' gap I'm leaving there might make putting the pantry (counter depth) at that end okay. Does that make sense?

Thanks for any help!

Comments (12)

• Aglitter
    4 years ago

If you're right-handed, or whomever uses the dishwasher most is right-handed, then you'll enjoy having the dishwasher to the right of the sink, and that would reduce your need to re-configure the cabinetry.

I like the pantry location in the first photo. It looks singled out by itself to have it near the window, but that's just my opinion. Also, if you put the refrigerator right up to the wall like that, you might have trouble with the door clearance for opening, so keep that in mind.

Daniel thanked Aglitter
  • darbuka
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

On the contrary, I’m right-handed, and have always preferred the dishwasher on the left. I hold plates in my left hand (when minimally rinsing), and manipulate the faucet head with my right. Then I turn to my left, and load the plate, glass, whatever.

Also, if your main prep area is over the DW, you’ll be in the way, and have to move, should someone want to put something in it.

Daniel thanked darbuka
  • wdccruise
    4 years ago

How about this?

1. High cabinet (aka pantry) to the right of refrigerator and to make sure right-hand refrigerator door can be opened fully.
    2. Top cabinet over refrigerator.
    3. Vertical Cover panel to the left of refrigerator
    4. Sink opposite the open counter (not opposite the range) to minimize butt-to-butt contact.
    5. Dishwasher to the right of sink to keep access to refrigerator unimpaired during cleanup time.

Also: If you don't need a monster refrigerator, use a 30"-wide model (examples: Frigidaire FFHT2033VS, GE GBE21DSKSS) with right-hand hinges so both the refrigerator and freezer are easily accessible when you're standing to the appliance's left.

-- amateur

Daniel thanked wdccruise
  • Daniel
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks for the comments so far! As for moving the sink, that really isn't an option considering I don't want to spend the money on a new counter. So the best I can do is a 30" space to the left; 24" will make things simpler with the cabinets I already have (and leave a larger area to the right), but 30" will make things simpler with the counter. With that said, do you still think it's better to put the dishwasher on the right and make it 30" to the left of the sink?

Also, there is enough space in the aisle between the oven and dishwasher that their doors will not hit each other, but it would probably be better if people could stand in front of both at the same time.

• Daniel
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I actually currently have a 30" refrigerator, but I was thinking of going with a 36" for future functionality. If I sell the house and someone wants a 36" refrigerator, moving all the cabinets will not be easy.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    4 years ago

With the DW to the left of the sink (I'm right hand/left eye dominant, and my DW is to the left of my sink), where will you store dishes? You'll have some conflict with the fridge door, but if that's the only option, then I'd move the sink down as far as possible. Keep in mind that you'll need a return panel for the DW, and a counter overhang of at least 1" on that side.

• Daniel
    Original Author
    4 years ago

If the dishwasher is on the left side, I'd store the dishes in the cabinets between the fridge and range. Putting the dishwasher on the right side of the sink would put more of the wall cabinets within the same reach of the dishwasher. So I guess right makes more sense?

Are you saying that since I can't move the sink farther right, I should leave as little space as possible on the left side, regardless of where I put the dishwasher?

I've figured the panel and overhang into my numbers, but thanks for the reminder. I usually forget things like that.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    4 years ago

Yes, if you move the sink and DW to the far left, you'll have more space for prep to the right, and for a wider cabinet under the prep space. 30" to the left of the sink, with 26" or so for DW and return panel, and 1" overhang, would just be wasting 3" you could add to a cabinet to the right of the sink.

• Daniel
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yes, if the dishwasher is on the left, absolutely I would move it over as far as I could. The question I was raising is if the dishwasher is better on the right. In that case, more of the wall cabinets are closer to it, and that would give me the option of putting between 24 and 30" of cabinets to the left of the sink. Or were you saying that a dishwasher inherently interferes with prep space, so it is better on the left in this case?

I live alone, so I'm the only person that interferes with what I do... which happens frequently ;) But I am also considering the future sale of the house.

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    4 years ago

You have a 30” space on the left of the sink- I would do a 12” base tray cabinet, 18” double pull out trash recycling, then the sink, then the dishwasher. This is the natural flow of cleanup- scrape, rinse, dishwasher.

Daniel thanked HALLETT & Co.
  • kathleen guhl
    4 years ago

You said if the dishwasher is on the left you could trim the counter up to 6 inches, that’s a good idea. 36 inches of walk space around that big an island in a pain, you will need the room. Also I would pull the pantry and block it out from the wall to be the same depth as the fridge box depth . You will find it much easier to access the pantry.

Daniel thanked kathleen guhl