Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yoyobon_gw

OT.....Things of the past...... part 2

yoyobon_gw
4 years ago

Remember when we routinely had to defrost our refrigerator freezers.

Of course these were a compartment at the top section of the refrigerator.

What a chore !

And every refrigerator came with those aluminum ice cube trays with the crank that lifted and separated the cubes . They were also great for making our Koolaid popsicles . We'd stick a toothpick into each before freezing them.

Comments (13)

• msmeow
    4 years ago

Bon, I grew up with plastic ice trays. Theoretically you could twist them and the cubes would pop out, but that didn't often work! Now every time DH and I need a new refrigerator we always make sure it has an ice maker, even though we hardly ever use ice.

I do miss the special tray in the fridge to hold eggs. I guess those are gone now, too.

Donna

• yoyobon_gw
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I think most refrigerators still have some sort of egg holder, either in the door or in a special bin, some with egg dents in them.

• msmeow
    4 years ago

I haven't seen a fridge with an egg holder in years! Every time we need a new fridge (every 12-15 years) I look very hard to see if I can find one with an egg holder, but so far no luck. Maybe they are only in high-end models. :)

• yoyobon_gw
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I guess it might depend on what I call an egg holder. If the eggs don't roll off the shelf and splat on the floor when I open the door, I call it an "egg holder" ! Mine happens to be a rectangular clear plastic box-thing on the second shelf. Of course the best thing to do is leave the eggs in a paper carton if that is what they come in.....because the egg will absorb odors from the refrigerator when stored openly. Perhaps that's why they did away with the egg holders !

Funny....I always used to take the carton out, crack the egg into the bowl/pan/whatever, and then put the shell back into the carton . When we'd visit my MIL in Florida she'd go nuts when I did that !! Yet, she was the one who was known to put a bucket of fried chicken in the cupboard " since it was cooked anyway" !!

• vee_new
    4 years ago

We have our own very small flock of hens cared for by our younger son. He has named the three white ones "Whitey, Whitey and Other Whitey" to avoid confusion, although Other Whitey (or is it Whitey?) is looking rather pale and wobbly.

We never store eggs in the fridge, but leave them on egg-trays in a cool place . . . which could be just about anywhere in our house.

• msmeow
    4 years ago

Vee, your son must have been channeling the old Bob Newhart show that had the characters "Darrel, Darrel, and my other brother Darrel"! I can't imagine leaving eggs unrefrigerated.

Bon, the chicken story is so funny! I guess they are French hens, since they live in a Palais. We don't have any neighbors with any animals other than dogs or cats, as far as I know.

Donna

• vee_new
    4 years ago

Donna, we live in the country and quite a few people keep a small flock of hens. We have heard that some in-comers ('though not in this area) from cities complain when they hear hens clucking and cocks* crowing in the morning. They are probably the same people who buy a house next to a village church and complain to the parish council because the Sunday morning bells disturb their sleep.

* Male fowl are not referred to as roosters over here, although we do know what you mean!

• msmeow
    4 years ago

Vee, in our previous house someone nearby had chickens, so we’d hear the roosters crowing. They had goats or donkeys or something that made braying/bleating sounds, too. It didn’t bother me but others in the neighborhood complained about the animal noises.

Donna

• yoyobon_gw
    Original Author
    4 years ago

location, location, location.....people need to pay attention to the zoning when they buy a home ! In our town Rural Residential is quite common......and comes with all kinds of allowances which aren't found in a Residential zone.

• carolyn_ky
    4 years ago

Vee, since we have required closing of all "unnecessary" public venues, my niece's small town asked last Sunday that all the churches ring their bells at 11:00 a.m. Amazingly, among the places still able to be open in Louisville are the liquor stores. Of course, Kentucky is the home of bourbon.

My wonderful hairdresser made a house call to cut my hair last Friday. I was in dire need of it, but I didn't ask her to; she volunteered.

• yoyobon_gw
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I saw on TV tonight that a doctor in TN is begging their Governor to declare a "shelter-in-place" order and he is not being heard. He then accumulated over 1,500 doctors and medical staff's signatures and then another 20,000 demanding that there be a state of emergency declared and all persons ordered to stay at home, self isolate. My exact numbers may be off but that was the gist of it.

• carolyn_ky
    4 years ago

Kentucky is proud of our new governor for his crackdown from the beginning. The state has a total of 198 cases as of a couple of hours ago, with 5 deaths, while Tennessee has 784 cases but with only 3 deaths.