Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
forever_now

Porcelain/enamel repair kit suggestion for my Kohler Cast Iron Sink?

Forever Now
4 years ago

Not long after we installed our Kohler Cast Iron undermount apron front sink last fall I found a small hairline scratch. It was very odd because it was in an area where I usually kept a plastic sponge caddy attached (the kind with suction cups). I have no idea what caused it, we've always tried to be very careful and the rest of the sink looks perfect. I suspect when I had a BIL visiting he'd bought this frying pan with a sharp metal handle and it is low enough it might have slide under the caddy. Anyway, originally I wasn't even sure it was a scratch, it was small, thin and I couldn't feel and indentation. Its gotten worse recently though, spreading out and discoloring and I can definitely feel it now. I called Kohler who will send us a replacement under warranty but I am not ready to go that route yet as the effort and cost of removing the faucet and quartz countertop would be higher than I want right now, we're not even done with the full kitchen remodel yet!

Has anyone used a enamel/porcelain repair kit they would recommend trying? I'm less concerned about looks as I always have my caddy there and don't see this regularly, and more concerned about stopping any spreading. Since Kohler has assured me that I can choose to get a replacement for this at anytime I figure anything I try that might fix it would just be a bonus. Thanks!

Here's some pictures of it:

Comments (18)

• Forever Now
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Not sure why the pictures didn't attach. I'll try again.

• User
    4 years ago

“Repair” is merely temporary in any wet area. It’s just an epoxy. It will need to be redone, over and over. Take the replacement.

• Forever Now
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Good point samba! I should just go ahead and do that. I'd still prefer to just try to repair this for now if anyone has a kit they used and liked?

• DavidR
    4 years ago

Something doesn't add up here. We had porcelain enamel sinks when I was a kid, and I don't remember them being that fragile. Seems impractical. I think I'll stick with my boring stainless steel sink.

• Forever Now
    Original Author
    4 years ago

DavidR, well stainless steel is definitely a safer option, as would a top mount sink since replacement is less of an issue, but that isn't all I was going for. More durability is why I chose a cast iron sink over a less expensive fireclay sink, as I figured it would be more durable. I am still mystified by this scratch that appeared in what is essentially the most protected area of this sink as its covered 99% of the time.

• sambah006
    4 years ago

enamel sinks a long time ago had lead in the glaze. They were a lot tougher.

I have a kohler enamel sink with the wire grate on the bottom. So rarely does anything touch the bottom other than random utensils that once in a while that slip through. So there are no pots and pans rubbing around on the bottom.

That being said, the bottom of the sink is all scratched up for some reason.

• eam44
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

They cover the cost of the sink. You will pay for the labor of replacing it. I don’t see the point of replacing a failed enameled cast iron sink with another enameled cast iron sink. Consider replacing what you’ve got with a quality stainless steel sink. It will outlast you.

This happens a lot. Try using the search feature at the top of the page. Type in “enameled cast iron sink“ and the words “fail” or “crack”. You will see you are in the company of many, many other houzzers. Good luck with the fix.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

You don't pull the countertop to replace the sink, you tap off the cabinet front. You may have to cut the shelf that supports the sink. With all the mechanical fasteners holding the sink removed, span the sink cutout with a 2x4 with a hole drilled in the center. Drop a pipe clamp through the hole and through the sink drain, put a small plywood stopper over the bar at the drain and slide the bar clamp end on. Leave it loose. Drive a stiff scraper between the stone bottom and the sink flange until the sink drops onto the clamp. Pull the clamp and sink out the cabinet front. Do everything in reverse to install the new sink. 4 hours or so.

Your 2x will obviously span left to right, but you get the idea.

You gotta get mean sometimes.

• eam44
    4 years ago

I can’t help but notice they chose a stainless steel sink the second time around.... Beautiful work Joe.

• emilyam819
    4 years ago

If that’s a Kohler Whitehaven and if the cabinet cutout template was used, I believe you should be able to slide the sink out after cutting through the silicon. This also probably depends on your counter; I can’t tell from pics. At any rate, you might as well take the replacement sink before the warrantee runs out, no matter when/if you plan to install it.

• millworkman
    4 years ago

"I believe you should be able to slide the sink out after cutting through the silicon."

Considerably more than silicone holding that sink in, at least there had better be.

• emilyam819
    4 years ago

Millworkman, unless the cabinet is bigger than it needed to be, the sides and front of the cabinet hold that particular sink (if it is in fact a Whitehaven). The sink has lips/edges that keep it up. There’s no way it could fall through.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    4 years ago

If the cabinet sides are holding the sink up, they've got to go. Not a big deal to put them back. That sink's coming out the bottom/front, I promise.

• Forever Now
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Well the trim on the front of the sink won't let it slide down and the fact that the sink is deeper than the apron means it wouldn't slide forward without destroying the cabinet front. However it is in an island, it would be easiest to remove the countertop and pull it out. Of course that means pulling out the garbage disposal and faucet. Its all doable even by us (with some additional muscle for moving the countertop) just not worth it to us yet unless it gets much worse.

I found a light cured acrylic surface repair kit. (It can be used on porcelain, ceramic, marble but its acrylic.) Its worth it to me to try this first especially because that's a spot that's usually covered. DH did agree with you all that we should probably go ahead and get the replacement, but we're not in a hurry to switch it out yet. We've still got lots of work ahead of us in this kitchen yet.

Here's a picture of the front of the island right after the countertop went on.

• Elizabeth Grant
    last year

@Forever now did the repair hold up for you? Can you share the repair kit used if it worked well? Our sink has major cracks after just a month from install!

• Forever Now
    Original Author
    last year

Unfortunately, it just didn’t look good, it looked like it was painted over. i wiped it off before it could dry. We just got the replacement sink in warranty. Have you called the manufacturer? It really shouldn’t be cracking on you after a month! So it’s either a fault with the sink or the installer.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    last year

"Well the trim on the front of the sink won't let it slide down and the fact that the sink is deeper than the apron means it wouldn't slide forward without destroying the cabinet front. However it is in an island, it would be easiest to remove the countertop and pull it out."

Fortunately, none of this is true.

The cabinet front is not destroyed when it is tapped off. It re-installs nicely after the sink is pulled and the new sink reinstalled without removing the top which is risky and unnecessary.

I've literally done this over a thousand times.