Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
english_karen15

Opinions on new kitchen layout

English Karen
3 years ago

We are in the middle of a major remodel. Our kitchen is L shaped and has 10ft ceilings. This is a design from a cabinet company online - any opinions or suggestions to make it better. We don't want to go for a white kitchen, as our theme is earthy, natural. We have an open plan through to our lounge which has beams in a vaulted ceiling overlooking a lake and trees. The kitchen island can be no bigger than 7 x 5 as any bigger and it will encroach onto our breakfast area. I like the cabinets going all the way to the ceiling with crown molding and I will be installing a 36" induction Thermador cooktop. I'm leaning towards a stainless chimney hood. Ideas please

Comments (25)

• Gcubed
    3 years ago

Have you considered more drawers vs cabinets on the long row of cabinets on fridge wall? Are there drawers in island? Is that a double oven or is one a MW? I actually like the color of your cabinets. Seems to fit your environment.

English Karen thanked Gcubed
  • English Karen
    Original Author
    3 years ago

The island is currently planned to have 12" cabinets along the back with a 12" overhang. It is a MW above the oven.

• katinparadise
    3 years ago

So you'll have 6 12" cabinets along the back of the island?

• Sonja Suitor
    3 years ago

I don’t know what other storage you have or need but for me (& its just hubby & me) I’d need a lot more storage than your plan shows. If it were mine, I’d do a slide-in oven and use the space now dedicated to ovens for a pantry unit.

• English Karen
    Original Author
    3 years ago

We also have a separate walk-in pantry so plenty of extra storage there.

• scoutfinch72
    3 years ago

katinparadise she means there will be 12” deep cabinets on the seating side of the island, not 12” wide cabinets.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    3 years ago

I'd do the NKBA recommended minimum seating overhang of 15" on the island. You'd still be under 5'. Layout looks good, and I agree with those who have suggested using more drawer bases. You might consider making the fridge enclosure deeper if you're using a standard-depth fridge, to cover the sides.

• kazzuk
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

What color quartz would you go with. Our flooring is wood plank tile

• Carolae
    3 years ago

Consider not having glass fronts on the uppermost cabinets. You might appreciate the extra room to store whatever you like and not worry about making it look attractive.

• Carolae
    3 years ago

I agree with as many base drawers as possible and a 15” or 16” overhang for seating at the island (with hidden supports).

• katinparadise
    3 years ago

Thanks scoutfinch72-reading comprehension issues I guess!

• chispa
    3 years ago

Another vote for more drawers and deeper side panels on the fridge. Lots of posts here about folks complaining how the sides of the fridge stick out after the project is done.

I hope the drawings aren't showing the actual lighting plan? You need way more lighting.

• felizlady
    3 years ago

I like to have 48” between cabinetry and and all appliances with doors so I can easily pass in front of any open door or behind a person who may be helping in the kitchen.

• kazzuk
    3 years ago

We will have 3 pendant lights over the island, under counter lighting and 6 spot lights in the ceiling. The glass toppers will also have lighting.

• felizlady
    3 years ago

What brand/color paint are these cabinets?

• kazzuk
    3 years ago

These are not the actual cabinets that we are looking at, just the overall layout. We’re thinking Omega for the cabinets and either a sage green or rain blue from Benjamin Moore.

• chiflipper
    3 years ago

Personal preference regarding "cooktop wall". Eliminate the upper cab on the left. Center cooktop on two equal-sized base cabs with drawers. This allows; proper hood size (overhanging cooking surface by 2 inches on each side) and gives you adequate countertop area on both sides of the hob. The tiny base cabs shown on this wall are virtually useless.

• kazzuk
    3 years ago

Chilflipper I like that idea. I can have a 36” induction cooktop and a 42” chimney hood without it looking squashed.

• kazzuk
    3 years ago

Thanks for all the comments about the drawers - I will definitely replace the base cabinets with more drawers.

• katinparadise
    3 years ago

You'll really appreciate the increased storage and ease of use.

• chiflipper
    3 years ago

There are several ways to reduce the dreaded refrigerator "jut", investigate all of them. https://www.pinterest.com/pin/143200463127716649/

• marylut
    3 years ago

Instead of SS cooktop vent, consider a wooden vent with slab panels, which will fit in with lake and nature mood

• marylut
    3 years ago

I have cooktop with base drawers, which allows me to store cooking utensils and pot holders in top drawer and pots and pans and lids in deeper bottom drawers. Super convenient for cooking.

• emilyam819
    3 years ago

I’d put the microwave next to the fridge, assuming most things you microwave come from fridge/freezer. Then you can have two wall ovens.