Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grovegreenguy

Mmmm, 'Ruby Stars' Japanese maple?

FrozeBudd_z3/4
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Okay, got this one last spring from a Canadian west coast company, I hadn't snapped a photo at the time, but it sure in the heck had exactly resembled online photos as below, cute small red leaves with a bit of a green line. Sorry, for the post being sooo pulled apart, no matter how I attempt to edit it remains that way :(

It spent the long winter dormant in the attached unheatet garage. This spring, being placed in a high light intensity greenhouse where tomatoes and peppers grow stocky and strong and also enjoying several afternoons outside in full sun and warm spring temperatures. It has been fertilized at half strength at regular intervals. Apparently, I must be overfeeding the thing, though sure hadn't expected such a color change!

Btw, Buchholz and Buchholz apparently lists 'Ruby Stars' and 'Beni Hoshi' as separate varieties.

Comments (4)

• Embothrium
    4 years ago

It wouldn't be the fertilizer, it would be the indoor environment. But: the currently green plant you are growing doesn't have quite the same leaf shape as in the picture of the other red one. So, the question becomes are these two really the same variety?

Otherwise - as you may be alluding to - it has been written that 'Ruby Star' and 'Beni hoshi' appear to be the same. And that an English equivalent to the Japanese beni hoshi is "red star". If someone like Buchholz has a block of one and a block of the other - and they can be told apart - then one of the possibilities that comes to mind is something like 'Ruby Star' being a redder form derived from 'Beni hoshi', hence "ruby" instead of "red". If instead 'Ruby Star' is an unrelated form of completely independent origin then it is somewhat unfortunate that 'Ruby Star' and "red star" are such similar combinations of words.

FrozeBudd_z3/4 thanked Embothrium
  • FrozeBudd_z3/4
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks for your comment Embothrium, I'm left scratching my head and wishing I would have snapped that photo last year, it really was a dead ringer for online photos of 'Ruby Stars'. Though, there's the definite possibillity of being a different variety, something similar enough at the time of shipment to pass off as 'Ruby Stars'. The plant was embarrassingly expensive, though I was stuck on having it, lol. But, before I go and accuse the nursey of a bait and switch, I note it is now transitioning into a coppery red color and interesting where it goes with that. All in all, I'm more curious than anything and love it or what it is and its coverage of small beautifully shaped foliage.

• AJ Princeton NJ z6b
    last year

Hello Frozebud, I wanted to follow up and ask you how the Rubystar (Beni Hoshi) turned out to be for you. You have had few springs since you wrote this post. I am considering acquiring a 3 gallon pot of the same from an online nursery. Pictures on internet look very good but often the reality is different.

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    Original Author
    last year
    last modified: last year

Hi AJ, honestly, I've rather have lost interest in it, as despite feeding it sparingly, it mostly wants to be green leafed. It's now just waking up .... maybe, I'll soon repot and totally forgo any feedings, possibly the love shall then return! :)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES