Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_832991193

Need ideas to hide a horrible view from my living room on 2nd floor

Isabella
3 years ago

I recently moved to a 3-story townhouse and don't know how to hide this horrible view from my living room. I don't want to resort to curtains, window films, stained glass or plant collection inside the house. I'd like to build something from outside to grow vines and block this awful view. But since this is 2nd floor view, how tall would that structure have to be? Also, you'll notice from the picture that the house that is my view is actually built much higher than my home, so that adds to the problem. Maybe I have to add a balcony to my place and a nice privacy screen where greens can grow? I am in zone 5a though...so long and harsh winters, greens will not help then. I'm looking for any creative ideas please!

Comments (50)

• houssaon
    3 years ago

I would use cafe curtains.

If that is your property where the fences are, I would fix the fence and plant some arborvitae.

• Isabella
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you. What are cafe curtains? Yes, the fence is mine but it is placed on top of a retaining wall so there is no soil there to grow trees, just a box with some dirt (4 inches or so) to plant small plants. The retaining wall is about 4 feet, then then fence is another 6. I don't know what else to do with it. Add more height?

• latifolia
    3 years ago

That fence needs attention, for sure. Not sure there is much you can grow in a little garden to hide that tall house.

How about a large window box outside your window? Plant it with lush annuals. They will grow tall enough to act as a screen and the color will be a welcome focal point.

• Isabella
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I'm not sure what's wrong with the fence? I added one more winter photo (because it is dark now). It looks fine to me - remember this is not a detached house, it is part of a complex of 4 townhouses, the fence is the same for all of us.

• PRO
    Joni Spear Interior Design
    3 years ago

Why not try Hunter Douglas Silhouettes? https://www.hunterdouglas.com/silhouette

It will allow the light to enter and diffuse the view.

Isabella thanked Joni Spear Interior Design
  • WestCoast Hopeful
    3 years ago

Your first pictures make it look like the fence is falling down and being supported.

This view was surely visible when you bought the townhome?

Get some curtains or blinds and move on. Welcome to city living

Isabella thanked WestCoast Hopeful
  • PRO
    Yardvaark
    3 years ago

A strategically placed small tree (made of a large shrub) could screen the offending components, While there may be no space to plant it in currently, a cut-out can be created in the patio paving to allow for it. A picture of the patio, without snow, would be needed to speculate on where you might place a cut-out.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago

I agree to get a window covering that hides the view and move on. There is no way in that tiny yard you will plant a tree tall enough to reach the roof in your case.,I certsinly can’t see the logic of a deck or balcony where you would then need a door to replace the window and in most townhouse properties that would involve the HOA or condo board , what ever is used where you are.

Isabella thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • PRO
    Yardvaark
    3 years ago

The tree does not need to reach the roof, but only screen the offending objects below.

• Isabella
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Here is the picture of the back with no snow. Pretty hopeless.

• Isabella
    Original Author
    3 years ago

There are creative ways though, but I'm not sure if these could work .

• freedomplace1
    3 years ago

If you don’t like the view, don’t look at it. Find ways to cover it that are comfortable for you.

Maybe in the warm weather some screens or gazebo for the yard.

• freedomplace1
    3 years ago

Another option for windows could be top down bottom up blinds or shades. Would allow you to customize your view.

• Embothrium
    3 years ago

Right off the bat it needs to be stated whether or not there is a board that regulates and restricts what you can do with your patio area. If in fact it is permitted to reduce the size of the paved area, plant a tree and so forth then you have simply to enlarge the bed in front of the wall and plant in that. It would be desirable to square off the end of the paving just to make it match its rectilinear surroundings, even if you didn't also have a use for a larger planting space.

• Isabella
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you. This is not a condominium, I can do whatever I want with the patio. Too bad the previous owner chose to cover it all with interlock.

• WestCoast Hopeful
    3 years ago

Isabella double check. Most townhomes have rules about outdoor spaces too. If you have a strata you may not have as much freedom as you think.

• Isabella
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you, I understand it can seem like a valid concern, but I have looked around at what other neighbours did and haven't seen interlock anywhere. I have have seen trees, shrubs, gardens, pergolas, covered porches, you name it. So there is definitely freedom. Whoever lived here in this unit before chose interlock - but nobody else has it.

• spiritflower
    3 years ago

I would try some removable decorative window film. Depending on the pattern some let in more light than others. Places like home depot carry them. Just search for decorative window films. They are removable so if you don't care for them no problem to take off. We used this one on a side door that looked out over a neighbors yard.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Artscape-Savannah-24-in-x-36-in-Decorative-Window-Film-01-0157/303169820

• Embothrium
    3 years ago

Yes: the key to eliminating the prison yard look is to reduce the area of paving, add planted beds. Including along the sides. It might also be possible to plant a tree near the window end of the space, for additional screening.

Of course, anything involving planting of new trees assumes you are going to be occupying the property long enough to see the benefits being realized.

• lizziesma
    3 years ago

So remove the interlock! You could at least create a lovely retreat to view when looking down. It’s going to take effort and research on your part. Visit a garden center. I doubt anything can truly hide your view-and I’ve seen worse- except on your interior.

• latifolia
    3 years ago

A good fence should stand on its own and not need those diagonal props. You might also want to power wash and re-coat the fence so it is all the same color. Have you checked with your municipality to see if you can get a higher fence?

• Isabella
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you. I think the "props" were used by the previous owners to hang flower baskets. I will remove for sure. I literally moved 2 days ago and still am in tears. The location is very central but it comes at a price (horrible view) that makes me want to move out. Of course since I bought it, I will have to endure it for some time.

• Maureen
    3 years ago

Adding plants on the inside of window will detract the eye and there are so many options

Isabella thanked Maureen
  • houssaon
    3 years ago

Don't fret.

You can plant something in the walled section that will soften the look. Colorful containers of flowers will also brighten the space. Power washing the fence and maybe staining it will help.

You can develop the space into a beautiful garden.

Courtyard garden design in Barnsbury, London · More Info

The tall plants at the back are Ceanothus 'Concha' trained on frames.

Small courtyard garden with raised oak sleeper beds · More Info

Isabella thanked houssaon
  • gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    3 years ago

In the OP's zone, there is not much of anything that will survive in a container over winter, let alone provide any privacy screening. Whatever is used must be planted in the ground, which means that any screening will not be present until the tree/shrub grows to size.

• curlycook
    3 years ago

This reminded me of a situation with our first home. Our dining room window was 4 feet from our neighbor’s living room window in the city. We had fallen into the habit of waving from inside our homes, but that is just too weird for words. I wanted the light, but not the view, so cafe curtains were the solution.

Isabella thanked curlycook
  • apple_pie_order
    3 years ago

You've been there two days- do you need something fast? Buy three $5 paper window blinds and cut them to fit. Then look for two tiers of cafe curtains. You can probably install them on tension rods. Or use removable window film in your choice of patterns and colors.

• User
    3 years ago

short term: like others said, cafe curtains or pleated shades that can be opened from the top.

long term: I wouldn't place anything too close to outside your window. it'll block light and make your space feel more cramped. I agree with others that some kind of tall decorative fence at the back of your garden would be perfect, if the HOA allows it. or a pergola. it will obscure your neighbors from being able to see your property, while not blocking light for either of you.

Isabella thanked User
  • Tara
    3 years ago

An arbor at the end, with some trailing plants climbing on it will shield the other home.

Wilmette Residence · More Info

Isabella thanked Tara
  • Fori
    3 years ago

It's not that bad! The nice thing about your bad view is that you can put something really wonderful in YOUR yard that will look even more appealing juxtaposed to the grim exterior.

Take your time to plan it out...you'll remove some of the paving of course but not all. Do plan for a tree or pergola or arbor to block the view of that white fan thing from the window. The rest doesn't really need blocking once something nice is down there.

Find at least one good plant that is evergreen. Fargesia nitida is a dainty, non-spreading bamboo that will live through your winters but I don't know if it'll stay green through them. You do want SOMEthing that is pretty all winter.

Once you get to meet your neighbors, maybe you can all go in together to raise the back fence in a way that'll look nice.

Isabella thanked Fori
  • Toni McCormick
    3 years ago

You have a wonderful back yard--houzz just did some small patios and yard articles.

contemporary southside duplex · More Info

Tonsley · More Info

Isabella thanked Toni McCormick
  • Toni McCormick
    3 years ago

Also if you don't like the interlock, you can put decking squares on top of them--changing up the "flooring" of your yard.

• njmomma
    3 years ago

Not a Pro.

Maybe something like this....Some inspiration...Patio Shade Sails.

Trellis and Arbor Photos · More Info

Shangrila - Marin County, CA · More Info

Brooklyn Backyard fit for a Fiesta · More Info

Isabella thanked njmomma
  • Isabella thanked Elaine Doremus Resumes Written
  • HU-124134757
    3 years ago

Hi Isabella,Growing vines is a very good idea. And looking what other people have in your area will give you an idea of what you can do. You can design a very beautiful backyard that will make you feel happy. Check how many hours of light you have, is it a very bright or a little shadow place, and what kind of soil do you have. So you will know what kind of vines you can put in. In your space I will mix them. I will put some that stay in the winter and if you have a lot of light you can even put climbing roses. On the land you can remove the interlock and choose another materials that you like. Don't put it everywhere. You can make an oval shape with the materials of your choice on the floor. To hide a little more the view, you narrow down the end of the oval shape. Leave the edge empty so you can put some vines there too. In the empty land, put a lot of plants, flowers. So your eyes will be attract by them and you will less notice the block in front. Actually, I will put vines on all the edges. So that they will hide the fence. If you put a pergola choose a light structure because it's a small space. I will choose some vine like honeysuckle for the smell, Virginia creeper, they will cover the fence fast. If you put arches, the last ones are closer than the first ones. For exemple:

your space is smaller. So you do only one oval shape that narrows down at the end where you can also put a fountain under the last arch. This fountain should be a little smaller than the wall where you're going to put any plants you like.

Voila!

Enjoy your creative moments, you will love it.

Isabella thanked HU-124134757
  • WestCoast Hopeful
    3 years ago

There is so much you can do to make the patio better.

That doesn’t solve the view from your window which is way higher than your patio. Only a window film or light filtering blinds etc would block it and still let lots of light in.

You really have two problems. How to make patio inviting? How to minimize view?

Isabella thanked WestCoast Hopeful
  • User
    3 years ago

I just realized you're more concerned about what you can see looking out vs. what the neighbors can see looking in. in that case, just make your yard as pretty as you can, including some evergreens for your zone. updating or painting the fence will go a long way too. then your view won't be so bad. I've seen worse!

if you are allowed to make your back fence taller, I'd recommend that. that machine on your neighbor's house looks like a heat pump. some of these can be kind of loud and will blow out hot air in the summer. anything you can do to block it will make your view more pleasant, and your yard a little bit more comfortable.

• Isabella
    Original Author
    3 years ago

It's not about people looking in, it's about what I have to look at in high doses (working from home like many of us these days). And currently it is unbearable. I don't like to cover my windows, I need light. I think I found the solution though - building 2 of these on top of the retaining wall and growing virginia creeper over it.

• WestCoast Hopeful
    3 years ago

I will be shocked if your development allows that to be built! Even here with houses something of that height would never be okay

• User
    3 years ago

maybe, maybe not. it doesn't hurt to check with the HOA.

• Isabella
    Original Author
    3 years ago

This is not a condominium. I checked with them nonetheless and got their go ahead. The only problem is that I'm not sure how to install the screens on top of the retaining wall. There is some dirt behind the stone but not enough space to dig holes for 4x4 posts and cement them in.

• WestCoast Hopeful
    3 years ago

It’s not about it being a condo or not. Most cities have regulations about fence heights.

• lindahambleton
    3 years ago

You don’t have to dig. There are concrete forms made to put a 4X4s in.

• Isabella
    Original Author
    3 years ago

But to hold two 10 foot tall 4X4 posts with 8 x 4 ft lattice...I wouldn't trust the concrete forms to hold these structures. I need to know that it will not fall down.

• Isabella
    Original Author
    3 years ago

As for fence heights, yes there are regulations except this is NOT a fence. This is 2 privacy panels - trellises - inside the fence, on my property.

• User
    3 years ago

those trellises you posted are going to instantly improve your view.

• WestCoast Hopeful
    3 years ago

@Isabella you might want to dig a little deeper. In my city a trellis along a fence line counts in height.

• Toni McCormick
    3 years ago

Yet in others (at least in N.O.) trellis or "decorative" fence toppings, wiring don't count. But, yes she needs to check. @ Isabella, I still think you have a blank canvas for a really lovely yard. If you think about it, your 2nd story view isn't a whole lot different than ANY urban view of your neighbors once you get your yard looking nice.

• Toni McCormick
    3 years ago

Go to Pinterest and look for images and such on concrete trellis forms.