Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tangerinedoor

Get out of the box: design a backdrop for home office Zoom meetings...

tangerinedoor
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

This is a hypothetical challenge, not a necessity, wish, or pending build. It's just for fun.

I'm getting bored with the "bookshelf backdrops" I see on TV. They just make me wonder if the books are real, or if they've been bought for the setting. Do they reflect the personal taste of the person, an ex? I wonder if I can squint and see what that title is.... Lolita? Interesting....

Way too much musing that doesn't have anything to do with a work meeting.

Ditto for the plain white reveal-nothing versions. Guess they don't have any kids...all that white. What is that wall anyway? The bathroom? They're sitting on the toilet? Oh, a picture hook. I wonder what picture was hanging there that CEO didn't want us to see, but maybe on his salary he can afford a Rembrandt. Or three.

Get creative! Show off your idea for a striking backdrop. It could be inspirational, funny, low brow, high brow, curious.... Design something new. Maybe a whole new paradigm.

Comments (10)

• IdaClaire
    3 years ago

Yes, way too much musing that tends to distract those of us who are decor detail-oriented from the business at hand! I love seeing the homey backdrops of friends and family when the call is personal, but I think it's distracting otherwise. I was in a Zoom meeting yesterday where I found one of my colleague's homes fascinating and couldn't stop trying to figure out what certain items were behind her. For myself, I prefer to use my professional headshot instead of live video during a meeting. It probably all depends on your line of work, but I don't think it's necessarily the most appropriate time to get creative or cutesy, or to try to stand out in the group. So to answer your question, for business, I think simplest is best.

• tangerinedoor
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yes, @IdaClaire, but how do you get simply and lively? I'm not sure I'd want to have a discussion with a photo.

• tangerinedoor
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Depending on the business...

1. A "make your mouth water" look: a wall of candy in jars like they have in an old-fashioned sweet shop.

2. Deep and intense, rich and serious: a less busy (maroon and black?) oriental rug draped down the wall.

3. The thrifty look: my thousands of old wool socks pegged to horizontal lines

4. A high brow look: tromp l'oeil glass French door with lush floor to ceiling drapes, highly tasteful, Parisian.

5. Mildly exotic: bright saris hung by their corners to make a back drop.

6. Green thumb, textured interest: a wall of green houseplants that you've managed to tend lovingly now you don't have to commute.

Chelsea Townhouse · More Info

7. Interesting, professional, but not busy: this is a minimalist take on the now-popular book case theme (the books are facing backward, lol):

"Parisian Chic" Framed Painting Print · More Info

• IdaClaire
    3 years ago

I get it. It definitely depends on the nature of the business. One of my colleagues created a background utilizing our corporate logo and brands, and it was quite nice. Another used a beach background. (Really? You're in Tahiti? 😁) The ability to create our own backdrops reminds me a bit of being a kid and finally having my own school locker to decorate. I guess we never outgrow the desire for self-expression. Yours is a fun exercise, but many of us have to be careful about the message conveyed in the real world. So I guess the practical takeaway is to have fun being creative, while understanding that practical application may be something different. Just my two cents.

(Oh, and please don't eat your lunch whilst the meeting is underway. Yep. Have seen, and heard, that recently. No.)

• IdaClaire
    3 years ago

So as not to be a total party pooper, in my hypothetical office, I would enlarge this print to hang on the wall behind me. A "baby picture", if you will. I actually have this as a 5x7 on my workplace credenza. 😉 I really wouldn't inflict this on a larger audience, but my colleagues who know me well totally get it.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago

One of our employees goes outside in her yard for zoom and it really is very nice , I sit in our office with a window behind me and my husbands 4 monitors which are in use daily so not moving. I think we need to get a grip and deal with the business at hand and short and sweet meetings are my preference. I have to say I don’t really see much in the way of background with our meetings.

• nhb22
    3 years ago

What is driving me crazy are all the crooked pictures on the walls behind the host. I want to crawl through the screen and straighten them! Gayle King from CBS news is an offender. LOL

Having said that, I do enjoy seeing a glimpse of everyone's homes. I prefer that much more than a made up backdrop. Just please don't back up to sunny windows. The glare hides the host.

When my husband and I participate in ZOOM, we are in our study. Our background is a brown wall with a large oil painting, and a bright sofa (usually with the dog sleeping on it.)

• User
    3 years ago

I love my living room so much, I actually sacrificed my own appearance to get a better angle of what's behind me. unfortunately, that means I look like I have an extra chin. LOL, priorities.

• nhbaskets
    3 years ago

Have you seen the Room Rater (@ratemyskyperoom) on Twitter? He (not sure why I’ve been assuming it’s a guy) has been rating all the Zoom backgrounds from TV interview, 1-10. Its been fun to read the comments. Of course, Dr. Fauci got a 10/10 during his Senate testimony on Tuesday.