Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jillybean103

Help designing my new living room

jillybean103
3 years ago

I have an empty room. I would like to stay under $6k budget to start to include seating, rug, tables.

As you enter from foyer, fireplace on right wall, pretty window on left. Built in to left of fireplace. 20' vaulted ceiling.

Looking for advice on seating arrangement - kinds of chairs, rug shape and size, table types (coffee table with or without martini tables?) Seats or bench under window that can be pulled up?

• Comfy but not crowded.
  • I like the club chair seating style. I like a loveseat (2 seat)
  • Want to be able to accommodate up to 8 people if needed....otherwise 4-5 in daily set up.
  • Lamps? I have a ceiling fixture that I'll replace with some kind of chandelier but not sure on that yet.

Like the light/airy/light colors. Contemporary/transitional style.

Room won't have a TV....just a space to go read, receive guests, entertaining chat area away from family room....

Open slate. Trim is white dove and walls are Egret white. Floors are hardwood (mix of dark and special walnut)

Vibes I like...but not necessarily the layouts...

Too cluttered for my taste but some of this is good...

Comments (44)

• Design Girl
    3 years ago

You've given a lot of information which is good, but you should add all the dimensions in your drawing above so we can see how much actual space you have - window openings, doors, etc. Hoping @Jan Moyer can chime in.

• jillybean103
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

• jillybean103
    Original Author
    3 years ago

• njmomma
    3 years ago

following :-)

• jillybean103
    Original Author
    3 years ago

• jillybean103
    Original Author
    3 years ago

• jillybean103
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Is this enough info?

• katinparadise
    3 years ago

Pretty room. Will there be a t v. in the room?

jillybean103 thanked katinparadise
  • jillybean103
    Original Author
    3 years ago

No TV.

• jillybean103
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Patricia. I thought the same thing about the symmetry of the shelves only on one side. The color ties in the dining room color across the foyer.

interesting about the sofa in the window wall. I didn’t consider that because the window is low and I didn’t want to block it. Do you mean float it in the room with its back to the window?

• katinparadise
    3 years ago

2 sofas and 2 chairs would seat 8 people comfortably. Run the sofas perpendicular to the fireplace with 2 chairs angled near the fireplace or facing the fireplace. Or, you could do a sofa with 2 chairs across from it perpendicular to the fireplace and a bench under the windows. Loveseats can be tight but a 64 or 68" sofa can work if you don't want a full size sofa.

• freedomplace1
    3 years ago

Does the wall without windows face the front door of house? I know it faces the foyer, but does it face actual front door itself?

• jillybean103
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@freedomplace1 the front door is perpendicular to the long wall without windows. See “stoop” on drawing.

• freedomplace1
    3 years ago

I see it now. Thank you.

There are a couple of possibilities that I see.

This is my favorite, I think - and since you say that you like club chairs, it may be a good option.

Put a three seater sofa on wall facing foyer, with some art over it.

And then use four chairs - two with back to fireplace and two with backs to windows. And swivel chairs may be a nice option for all of those chairs - or just for the two that are by fireplace, with a couple of stationary club chairs on window side.

Just general views of swivel/club.

And then more seating by windows, with maybe a built in window seat with cushions or a bench or slim chaise.

A chandelier in the space would be nice.

jillybean103 thanked freedomplace1
  • PRO
    Design Interior South
    3 years ago

I would do a single cushion sofa along the wall you face when you walk in the room. In front of the window I would do two tan swivel chairs with a round table between. With their back to the entrance of the room I would place two chairs you can create an interesting upholstered back on and do a contrasting fabric on the back. I would do two upholstered square ottomans in front of the fireplace to pull up as extra seating or foot rests. Anchor with a large square cocktail table. End tables with pretty lamps for the sides of sofa. I would consider doing the entire wall behind the sofa in a grasscloth. For your built in shelves......I had some confusion here. You stated you want light bright and airy yet the interior of those shelves are painted black? And you said the shelves color compliments the adjacent room. Is that room black? You showed a lot of blue in your inspiration photos but do you actually want black, white and natural? I would paint the interior a light color. I would do some fabulous framed art (square and 2 of them) mounted on the front of the shelves and two on the opposite side of the fireplace wall same size and frames and complimentary art work to balance out the odd shelves to one side. A interesting mirror over the fireplace. Some art to your liking (one large one) on sofa wall. Anchor with a great rug of course. At the windows I would do a simple tailored drapery panel with a decorative trim on the inside lead of each panel. If privacy is an issue consider a woven shade under the drapery panels. All that said your $6k budget will not cover doing a full room of furniture ,rugs, accessories etc. So you will have to build on it over time.

jillybean103 thanked Design Interior South
  • jillybean103
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Design Interior South The whole house main color is egret white with white dove trim except the dining room which is gauntlet gray with white dove. Yes, I do like light and bright. The Pieces you Posted would be so pretty. I think it’d go great. Not sure if I can do the powder blue accent though because of the dark gray, but maybe it’d b e fine. I don’t know.

Thank you for the seating and table ideas...excellent ways to seat 8 or more. Love the extended decorating advice regarding accessories and window treatment. Thank you.

• jillybean103
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@freedomplace1 thank you for the great ideas And pictures.!! So many good ideas there.

• jillybean103
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@katinparadise thank you! Great ideas and I will keep that in mind about the sofa length. Yes, that’s the issue is they seem to take up the whole room sometimes.

• PRO
    Design Interior South
    3 years ago

frosty Sorry on my screen it looked black in the book case. Gauntlet actually has a lot of brown in it if I'm not mistaken. So if you like the blue it will likely work. I say this without pulling any samples solely what I am viewing on my screen.

• jillybean103
    Original Author
    3 years ago

maybe like this....(pretend the door is my window)

• PRO
    Design Interior South
    3 years ago

Thats a lovely room. Would you be okay with chairs blocking your fireplace?

• jillybean103
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I probably wouldn’t block the fireplace....maybe the two that would be in front of the fireplace placed across from the couch and the little ottos in front of fireplace?

• freedomplace1
    3 years ago

The two chairs with back to entry are not so ideal from Eastern Feng Shui standpoint. There is a practical reason for the thinking on that. You may have noticed how men, particularly, do not like sitting with back to restaurant entry, etc. Same principle applies with that seating arrangement. But at least it is not sofa with back to entry, which would really be totally Feng Shui unfriendly!

Any pIece of furniture that you get needs to be scaled /sized well for your space. This includes sofa and chairs. I had suggested swivel chairs by fireplace, for the convenience of being able to easily swing chairs around to view fireplace.

It’s not a terrible placement with chairs with back to entry, but it does clutter the entry, with people having to step around chairs to get into the room - and it also obstructs what could be a clear entry view of your sofa + art - and then the general Feng Shui of it, as mentioned above.

So you have to see what works for you and what is most comfortable in the space. I would generally not want to obstruct view of fireplace either, but depending on how much you will actually be using it and how you entertain, those are factors to consider. Also, how much of fireplace would actually be obstructed if you used some smaller scaled, low profile swivel/club chairs; it may not be a big issue. So these are all things to consider.

As one method, you can use painter’s tape on the floor to draw out some pieces to get a better idea of sizes/dimensions - and also to get a better visual as well as a feel for how pieces can potentially work in the space with the various layouts.

• freedomplace1
    3 years ago

A few pics:

Huestis Tucker Architects, LLC · More Info

• PRO
    Design Interior South
    3 years ago

I think it depends on the chairs. A low back chair could work in front of the fireplace. Or if you are okay with less seating you could eliminate the two chairs at entrance and do one angled chair to right of fireplace and then place stools/ottomans where the two chairs were opposite the fireplace. You have wiggle room, it just depends on how much seating your are willing to give up.

• PRO
  • jillybean103
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Design Interior South are your arrangements close to scale? How long is the sofa?

My biggest worry about flanking the fireplace with chairs would be not only blocking (yes a smaller chair could solve that) but also is there enough space so the armchair doesn’t overhang the sofa at all.... if that makes sense? I don’t know that I have enough room to place small chairs in front of the fireplace as in the top diagram distanced enough to while show some of the fireplace without encroaching Into the sofa line. For example in the lower two diagrams, the pieces placed closest to the entry are sitting on the rug in the same line as the club chairs...

• jillybean103
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@freedomplace1 I do love club chairs in a circle...not sure how to make that work in the space....would a large round rug with say 6 club chairs in a circle be ridiculous? Then a bench or something under the window?

• jillybean103
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Is there a reasonable seating solution with more than 4 club chairs in a circle? Or with 4 and then how do I bring in more seating without blocking the window?

• freedomplace1
    3 years ago

I think you need to get measurements of furniture and play around with the numbers in your actual space using painter’s tape method maybe, etc. - so that you know what you are dealing with. You could always go with a smaller scaled sofa/settee, which could also give you more space to work with.

• freedomplace1
    3 years ago

I was also thinking about four chairs and cocktail table or ottoman as being another option for your space, but then there is the issue of extra seating. It’s usually four chairs and I think I would stick with that. I like being a renegade at times but I think the four chair setup is classic so I wouldn’t mess with it.

But I am going to look at space now and see what other seating options might work with that one.

• katinparadise
    3 years ago

I think the biggest hurdle you face is the width of the room. Most sofas are going to be 33-36" deep for comfortable seating. I think the best way to get the most seating out of the room is with two 3-seat sofas in a L shape-one against the long wall and one parallel to the fireplace. Then add a chair in the right corner by the fireplace. That gives you seating for 7. Consider adding a sofa table behind the sofa parallel to the window with two smaller ottomans that can be pulled out for additional seating.

• freedomplace1
    3 years ago

With the four chairs and center table, you may be able to also flank fireplace with an additional two chairs.

Or maybe a chaise.

and / or ottomans for extra seating.

Also a built in window seat or bench or chaise for windows.

• PRO
    Design Interior South
    3 years ago

Yes the rendition is to scale. The sofa is 87" long.

• Design Girl
    3 years ago

l like @Design Interior South's last arrangement the best. I wouldn't put the extra ottomans in the doorway.

• jillybean103
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I’m thinking of the sofa on the long wall and then 4 chairs (2 to the left and 2 in front of the fireplace but spread a bit). Would these chairs work? Great price and very pretty.

@Design Interior South Would you be so kind to show chairs in this size in scale in the room?

https://www.wayfair.com/furniture/pdp/birch-lane-heritage-zubair-wingback-armchair-w000546290.html?piid=985015871

• jillybean103
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Or this one is 69" wide - do these work together?

• katinparadise
    3 years ago

I think they could work. You can mix styles a bit. The chair is a modern version of a wing back. You just want to be sure the seat heights and back heights aren't too much different so the chair doesn't dwarf the sofa. My Flexsteel Digby sofa is 70" wide and is plenty comfortable for 2 people without feeling like a loveseat.

• PRO
    Design Interior South
    3 years ago

If you are going to go for a love seat size sofa I think it will look small in the room.

• freedomplace1
    3 years ago

Those pieces will work together.

I like wing chairs, and I found this one recently. I really love it.

I would pair it with any one of these sofas.

I‘m a vegan and could not do the leather, but if I could get it in faux, love the lines.

You can definitely mix the wing style chairs with sofas with more modern lines - and particularly the wing chairs that have a modern take - but depending on the chair, many of even the more classic can combine with more modern sofas, too. Very versatile, and fun.

You have a good eye. Go with what you like.

• jillybean103
    Original Author
    3 years ago

My head hurts from searching online for size, color, style...all pieces. I REALLY hate doing this.

• freedomplace1
    3 years ago

Take a time out. :)

I see you have a great sense of style and I think this comes natural to you. It will all come together.

• Design Girl
    3 years ago

Check out this site and see if anything appeals to you. https://maidenhome.com/

jillybean103 thanked Design Girl
Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations