Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rebecca_bluth

Need help choosing exterior paint colors

bbluth
3 years ago

We plan to paint the exterior siding, trim, gutters, and garage door of our house soon and need help choosing a color scheme that works well with our brick, reddish brown roof, and new black windows. Currently, the siding is a sage green, trim is white, and garage door is beige. I understand the previous owner's decision to use these colors, as they pulled from some of the lighter brick colors. However, it's not my cup of tea. I am open to painting or staining the brick to create a uniform look, but my husband is a hard no on touching the brick at all. As you can see, we're growing ivy on most of the front brick anyway.

We initially thought white siding with a dark brown for the trim, gutters, and garage door would be a classic choice and work well, but I'm concerned it will result in too much contrast and make the house look dated and busy. Should we go with a dark siding and even darker trim, go lighter, use the same color for everything? Currently, we are leaning toward a medium brown siding with dark brown trim, gutters, garage door. Never thought I would lean toward darks/browns but I want to choose a scheme that works best with the brick, roof, windows! That particular scheme looks good to me on the online color visualizers, but I would like your input, please!

Comments (9)

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    3 years ago

I like your existing colors.

bbluth thanked Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
  • chloebud
    3 years ago

I also like the current colors. The brick is one of the nicest features of the house. I would keep the ivy off of it. All the white "stripes" of trim make it a little busy to me. The hedge between the garage and front entry should be trimmed way down, or replaced with something smaller. I would also want the garage door to be the same color as the siding. Consider a garage door with windows across the top to help break up the "wall" of garage.

bbluth thanked chloebud
  • houssaon
    3 years ago

You could go for two shades of a gray brown.

bbluth thanked houssaon
  • houssaon
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Or a green with brown.

bbluth thanked houssaon
  • bbluth
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Wow thanks for the input, guys! While I think the green works, it's just not my thing. I have played with gray browns, taupes, and think they look nice. I definitely want to stay with neutral earthy tones but I'm not feeling the green. I am also conflicted about the tudor-style, or board and batten, trim. Do we paint it the same color as the siding to reduce the busy look, and perhaps paint only the perimeter trim a different color? This was a question our painter asked because it's sort of in style right now.

I think the beige garage door is what irks me the most. We did consider a new garage door but decided against the cost of it for now. Our painters are coming by with some taupes and dark brown samples tomorrow, so keep the ideas coming!

• houssaon
    3 years ago

Here are some ideas.

Taupe would also look good with River Reflections.

• Bliss149
    3 years ago

I'd go as light as your lightest brick - looks like an ivory. Trim the same color as the siding.

bbluth thanked Bliss149
  • houssaon
    3 years ago

Here is the front in those two schemes.

bbluth thanked houssaon