Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kristin_kozakowski

Window coverings for quiet in the bedroom!

Kristin K
3 years ago

Hi
What would you recommend for a master that had large windows and is in a corner lot? I need to reduce the sound from street and open concept house. Designer recommended woven wood Roman shades and another recommended plantation shutters? There are temp shades now. I’m so overwhelmed!

Comments (15)

• sunshine3943
    3 years ago

Both suggested options would look nice, you may also consider thick triple layer curtains - great for blocking light and noise. The bigger question is what are you doing about the arched window?

• Kristin K
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I have no idea! The shutters guy said to put a shutter on it. The designer didn’t know yet.
    Where would I hang the curtains?

• sunshine3943
    3 years ago

Above the windows - below the arch. If your ceiling went up straight, then you could put a rod all the way above. Currently, your options are limited to solutions for the top window. Can your shutter guy show you pictures of what it would look like?

• Kristin K
    Original Author
    3 years ago

He referred me to his website.....

• chloebud
    3 years ago

My choice would be shutters in your case. We love ours. They can certainly go on the arched window. Is not covering it an option?

• Maureen
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

In regards to noise reduction, drapery may be your best bet and adding a liner even more so. These will absorb the sound better than shutters or blinds. Rod could fit close to frame. You could even keep your blinds as they are good for privacy during the day if needed.

For the window above, window film won’t help with noise but will diffuse light a bit. A stained glass pattern could be attractive

• PRO
    Design Interior South
    3 years ago

Is the arched window a concern? Do you need light and noise control from it as well? If the answer here is yes then plantation shutters are what will need to go with. Due to your sloped ceiling you won't be able to install a rod above that window or a woven shade on that window.

Additionally if privacy is a concern a woven shade generally has an open closed mentality. Meaning if you want any view or light in then they have to be pulled open. They do make top down versions but regardless they will always leave part of the window uncovered to get any light it. A shutter will allow you to angle the louvers to keep people from seeing in but still get light in the room during the day.

You answer here is the shutter and then if you need a truly black room for sleep install black out drapery with the plantation shutters.

That said there are other options.

• Louise Smith
    3 years ago

To reduce sound and noise, you need soft surfaces, not hard surfaces. A rug, fluffy bedding, and curtains. Definitely not shutters.

• chloebud
    3 years ago

Can't really comment on the noise issue. We have shutters throughout most of our house and don't have a noise problem. However, we also live on a quiet street without much through traffic. I do understand why you want to focus on noise reduction. I just thought your windows look like such good candidates for shutters. Clearly both appearance and function should be factored in.

• Kristin K
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi- thank you for the input. Probably we will go with shutters bc there is no way else of covering that top window. For quote for $2200 just for the bedroom!
    Definitely I need to add rug, etc but I need to get windows covered first.

• Kristin K
    Original Author
    3 years ago

We got estimate for $2200 just for the master for shutters. Prob we will get them bc they seem to be the best way of sealing it up. I had them in Miami Beach and never heard anything.
    Will add rug, etc later.

• Maureen
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Just wanted to throw this idea out, after seeing the quote. If you purchase drapes and a rod from Ikea for probably less than $200, added a liner which is simple to do, you could test the sound proofing. If you don’t like the look, it’s not much money wasted or perhaps use in another room. Would only need a shutter made for upper window - try to imagine below (suggest a white rod so it blends better) with a window shuttered above. Hope this helps.

• PRO
    Design Interior South
    3 years ago

Kristin you have a lot of windows in there . The wall with the arched window has good sized windows plus the arch. I don't think that price is out of line at all. Anytime you get into a different shape with a shutter the price increases significantly. Shutters cost on average about $27 per square foot. I would recommend a composite material vs wood. It holds up better and is not as expensive as real wood.

Your small window that sits on the corner will make just going with drapes a tricky install because the only way to dress that window is to go with either a rod that bends at the corner junction to a single panel. I still say that on a corner lot your goal is two fold. Privacy being the first and any window treatment that has an all or nothing function isnt the best choice. Drapery panels won't give you privacy when pulled open. Nor will shades.

• Kristin K
    Original Author
    3 years ago

What does anyone think about motorized shades?