Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aineskow

Backsplash advice from the Color Club requested!

AMS
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hi all! After years of research and months of waiting, my tiny galley kitchen is finally installed! Well, all but the backsplash (ABB). As you can see from the photos below, it is an all white kitchen. I won't apologize for it, I love white kitchens, BUT I want some color in here somewhere, and I refuse to use gray. So, I hope the card carrying members of the Color Club can help me!

My favorite colors fall into the aqua, teal, blue/green category. My favorite tiles are the handmade ones, that have slight color variation, and I have samples from Fireclay and lust after Mercury Mosaics. However, they aren't in my budget, despite the fact that I have a very small area to tile (~22 sq ft).

So, I am the proud owner of approximately 1 million samples from Tilebar :) I will post photos in the comments of some of my favorites, and I'd like your feedback to help me think of pros and cons! Important note: my house is a small 1.5 story that was built in the mid-1940s and has walnut stained hardwood floors throughout (except the kitchen where I installed marmoleum). Trim is white throughout. I have an ALL PINK tile bathroom that I have no plans to ripe out.

Kitchen (still needs finishing touches, like a new flooring transition etc.):

Comments (15)

• AMS
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Here are some photos of tile I like. For the photo below, the tiles are, left to right:

Lancaster 3x6 subway, color "open seas". $9 / sq ft.

"Nirvana Bliss" rimmed 1" penny tile. $9 / sq ft.

"Jamaica Verde" 4x4 ceramic. $5 / sq ft.

The photo below is of the expensive tiles, from left to right:

"Quill basil" - this is impractical. Once i saw it in the flesh, although pretty, I realized it would be really hard to clean, and it's expensive ($20 / sq ft). But very pretty :)

Nabi crackle tile "arctic blue" 3x6. This is also probably too expensive, unless I could install myself (?!). ($20 / sq ft)

Nabi crackle tile "tundra" 3x6. I'm sharing this because on the Tilebar website, it looks gray. In person, it's a soft green. Also expensive. ($20 / sq ft)

• chispa
    3 years ago

A kitchen can work juts fine without a backsplash for a while ... I would save for a few months to get the tile that I truly love.

Barton Creek || New Construction || Austin, Texas || Second Kitchen · More Info

Los Feliz Colorful Kitchen Renovation · More Info

AMS thanked chispa
  • AMS
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks @chispa! I agree to take my time - I've been looking for 3 months, and am just itching to complete it. I had planned on wallpaper as an interim measure, but I chose something very patterned that - once I stuck some up, was too distracting. I also want to choose tile so I can finally paint/decorate my dining 'area' that is adjacent to my kitchen (see photo below - I will be replacing the light fixture!!). I like the cement tiles in the second photo - I should look into that more...

Thanks @eam44, I value your feedback! I think I'll avoid zellige type tiles, for the reasons you mention - my installer will be my handyman (whose work I've seen!) or I may even try my hand at it to minimize costs. I do like the 4" tile, if I chose a tile like that I'd lay it in a staggered pattern (like traditional subway tiles) rather than vertically, to avoid a bathroom look.

• chispa
    3 years ago

@AMS, I think it is a Fireclay tile and can be ordered in custom colors.

Edit: found it. Not cheap, buy maybe worth saving up for ...

https://www.fireclaytile.com/handpainted/detail/padma?color=cool-motif

AMS thanked chispa
  • eam44
    3 years ago

@AMS, do you have any inspiration images?

The way Houzz is jumbling up these posts it’s hard to know who is posting what, when.

AMS thanked eam44
  • chispa
    3 years ago

@eam44, welcome to the new and improved Houzz! Not!

After you post, refresh the page and then click "oldest/newest" across from Comment (#) . The posts should show up "normally". Unfortunately you have to do this everytime you post.

• eam44
    3 years ago

It’s the “Read More” nonsense that gets to me. Almost all of my posts include links and images. Maybe I should just stop posting them.

• AMS
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks both! Wow, those Fireclay tiles are pricey! Beautiful, but pricey (isn't that just how it goes?!). Here are some inspiration photos - the first is probably my most favorite, but let's be honest - it's a fabulous kitchen with farmhouse details, and I have a tiny galley kitchen. But I love the tile. Part of me thinks - I have such a tiny area, should I even bother trying to make it great?

This kitchen is more similar to mine. Love the color, but my house has more blue (not olive).

Narrow Alley to Open Galley · More Info

This is also very pretty tile. One thing I am concerned about is that I do not want to have a beachy look. I live in Minnesota, not the coast.

Family Home Belmont, Auckland · More Info

I like this one because of the accent tile - I have been trying to locate 'sizzle strips' like this (or fancy liner tiles) and have struck out.

Ballard Farmhouse · More Info

• heatheron40
    3 years ago

I like the teal squares! Watch the penny tiles- too many people come back here and complain about the install, the gaps between the sheets are hard to disguise.

AMS thanked heatheron40
  • AMS
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks Heather! Yes, I think you're right on the penny tiles - they're so pretty, but if they're not installed perfectly it's really obvious... and that would drive me nuts ! :)

• eam44
    3 years ago

Have you looked at the Cloé tiles in baby blue? They might hit the right balance for you. They are manufactured in Spain using (I think) five different but similar glazes to mimic the variation you can see in hand glazed tiles. They’re available in 2.5”x8” subway tiles and 5” squares for around $7/sf.

AMS thanked eam44
  • AMS
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you @eam44, those tiles look perfect, and the price sure is right. I had never come across these in my research, so appreciate you finding them! I will see if they are sold anywhere near me...

• eam44
    3 years ago

Oh great! I’m glad to be of help. You might have to order samples, anyway, keep us posted!

AMS thanked eam44
  • vpierce
    3 years ago

You might want to look at some of the Encore tiles. Not cheap, but they are similar to some of your inspiration photos.

AMS thanked vpierce