Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
terezosa

Looking for a pattern for a dress like this

I know that I've seen a pattern like this before, but sitting at home looking at the different pattern company websites I can't find one. Anyone know of a pattern like this for knits?

Comments (17)

• Aglitter
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Kwik Sew used to have all kinds of patterns like this, but they've been decimated after their merger with McCall. You don't need a pattern that's exactly like this to make the dress. You can pick any dress that has a similar bodice and make your own seamlines front and back. If the pattern has sleeves, just raise the underarm an inch or so and maybe take in the seamline under the arm more to get it closer to the body. You can finish the arm with bias tape. Even a pattern for wovens would work, you just skip the zipper because you won't need it due to the stretchiness of the knit. You can get some cheap knit and do a mockup first to perfect the shape to the wearer.

• terezosa / terriks
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks silverlined. That's exactly what I will do if I can't find a pattern that will work. I've done it before with other patterns. It just seemed that I've seen a pattern exactly like this before.

• colleenoz
    3 years ago

New Look 6866 might fit the bill.

• terezosa / terriks
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I've found one that's very close. I'll have to make seams in the middle of the front and back and add pockets.

• RNmomof2 zone 5
    3 years ago

I think the New Look one looks closer to it. It has the center front seams and does not seem as full and flowy at the hem line. The sleeves look like it would take less altering also.

Cute summer dress.

• terezosa / terriks
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Drawings can be deceiving. The New Look pattern is actually much fuller than the McCall's - bottom width of 61.5 inches compared to 47 inches.

• Bestyears
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I thought for sure there would be a Jalie pattern. They make the most fabulous patterns for knits, but I couldn't find anything. This True Bias pattern is similar, although it doesn't have the center front seam. Are you looking for the seam to add a closer fit, or is it a style issue?

True Bias LODO Dress

This Grainline Studio pattern has the center seam, but you'd have to alter the sleeve.

Farrow Dress

• terezosa / terriks
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I'm looking for a pattern with the center seam to create the chevron effect with a striped knit fabric.

• blfenton
    3 years ago

Would this work? It's a simplicity. I know nothing about sewing but I also had nothing to do so thought I would help with the search. I was thinking style E

https://www.simplicity.com/simplicity-storefront-catalog/patterns/brands/simplicity/simplicity-pattern-1358-misses-knit-dresses-with-neckline-variations/

• terezosa / terriks
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks blfenton, that wouldn't require too much to be changed.

• User
    3 years ago

It looks to me that the pieces are cut on the bias, seeing as how the chevron runs all the way up to the neckline and shoulder seams are displaying diagonal stripes.

You will have to cut the fabric on the bias to get that chevron effect.

I see folding wrinkles along the sides of the dress on the pockets, indicating that there is a diagonal pull to the grain, also.

You would have to give some consideration to how you cut each piece, right or left, front or back so that you have a V shape in the middle front and an upside down V shape at each side and again a V at the back.

Cutting on the bias is essential to getting that chevron design.

terezosa / terriks thanked User
  • User
    3 years ago

It seems that all of the patterns that were suggested have the pieces cut on grain. They are lovely dresses but they are not going to give you the chevron effect. To do that, you need a diagonal cut, a bias. Otherwise, you are just going to have stripes.

terezosa / terriks thanked User
  • terezosa / terriks
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yes, I realize that I will need to cut the fabric on the bias.

• 1929Spanish-GW
    3 years ago

Did you ever find a pattern? I’m taking inventory of my vintage patterns and found this one from 1969.

terezosa / terriks thanked 1929Spanish-GW
  • lascatx
    3 years ago

If you are still looking, I did a search and found some vintage patterns that might work. McCalls 9362 that is similar on Etsy. Also Simplicity 9966 if you wouldn't mind more fullness in the skirt or taking that fullness out. Butterick 5309 would require changing the neckline, but it is a bias dress for knits. Vogue 6515 is a bias dress shown in a chevron on the skirt, but the bodice is totally different.

terezosa / terriks thanked lascatx
  • terezosa / terriks
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have a couple of patterns that I'm experimenting with. The McCalls 8107 and Simplicity 1358

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!