Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shead

Would you center dining room light on room or between windows?

shead
3 years ago

I'm confused on what would be best to do. It's only off about 5 inches but since I'll likely have some type of furniture on the left wall of the space, should I just go ahead and center the chandelier and table with the windows? Or is it not enough to even matter?

Comments (13)

• PRO
    Woodhaven Renovations
    3 years ago

center between windows. it will also appear to be center of the room. The other way would be noticeably not center of the windows.

• bpath
    3 years ago

If you have a piece of furniture on the left wall, and people at the centered table, will they be able to walk around and get in and out of their seats?

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago

IMO if not centered on the widows it will make you crazy but I too would like to know the size of the space , since IMO this was poor planning if you wanted a buffet on the left since that will skew everything.

shead thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • btydrvn
    3 years ago

Seems likely a drape in the light fixture chain will be needed for a little flexibility for future furnishing choices, in any case...

shead thanked btydrvn
  • btydrvn
    3 years ago

So a central placement may work as a start

shead thanked btydrvn
  • shead
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Our previous home and our dining furniture were destroyed by a storm back in January so everything in the space will be new. I was going to wait until the house was nearer completion to decide exactly what furniture I will put in the space, beginning with the table and chairs and going from there. I’m not even sure if I want a hutch in the space or not as it will crowd the space and limit me in the future if I need to use table extensions for larger gatherings. Plus, there is a 30” wall between the kitchen and dining room (shaded in pink). Therefore, my gut says center between windows :) I just wanted to be sure before I had the electrician move it so I didn’t end up asking him to move it back later... :/

• shead
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Someone else has mentioned that since the fixture is on a block between the trusses and is accessible from the attic, I can always nudge it one way or the other as long as the mounting plate was large enough to cover the previous hole. I'm planning to use a linear light fixture similar to the one below so maybe that would work :)

• suero
    3 years ago

I have a chandelier that's centered in the room. I have a breakfront on one wall, so the chandelier isn't centered over the dining room table. I hate it. We dine by candle light, rather than using the chandelier.

shead thanked suero
  • WestCoast Hopeful
    3 years ago

I say centre on table for sure.

shead thanked WestCoast Hopeful
  • rsc2a
    3 years ago

@suero Have you thought about getting a swag hook to center the chandelier?

shead thanked rsc2a
  • PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    3 years ago

Since you are unsure of what furniture you will have in the space, center the light between the windows (which are hopefully equally spaced in the room), and place the table centered under the light. It will make the food taste better.

shead thanked Mark Bischak, Architect
  • suero
    3 years ago

@rsc2a. Yes, and rejected it because it doesn't look right with the fixture. Bottom line, if you have to swag the light fixture to work with the dining table, then, position the light fixture in the right location to start, You are going to be using the dining room with furniture in it, not empty of furniture, so the position of the chandelier should complement the room in its furnished state.