Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kristichristman

help with yard ideas and curb appeal

Kristi Christman
3 years ago

Had to replace septic system, and are left with 6 ugly lids in our yard. Also would like ideas to improve curb appeal. Paint? Shutters? What to do with brick. Planning on new windows and treatments, but what color and style? I would like modern farmhouse style if possible. Have year round leaves and tree debris falling from neighboring trees. Need minimal maintenance with maximum beauty.

Comments (24)

• Kristi Christman
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I'm sorry; I thought my pictures attached. I will retry. Thank you!

• Kristi Christman
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Here are some pictures

• Kristi Christman
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Planning some kind of fence when neighbor is done with construction as well....

• Kristi Christman
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Any ideas? Grass? Patio? How do we work around or with the septic lids?

• jck910
    3 years ago

Can you post a picture of the brick close up? I can't really see the septic lids. Would you use a patio in front? Will you put in a driveway? I would get the painting and windows done then work on curb appeal

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    3 years ago

Show a view from this close ...

• Susan Highland USDA Zone 9b
    3 years ago

Where is the septic field? You aren't supposed to plant over that, but maybe some flowering plants that don't have deep roots? Our septic is hidden by a patio of bricks with sand swept between to keep them in place. Makes a nice place to sit and enjoy a portable fire pit. Every 6 years or so, we have to take up the bricks and get the thing pumped out.

• Kristi Christman
    Original Author
    3 years ago

The drain field is in a different location. Was thinking of painting the part shown in the picture a darker gray to match the garage doors.

• Kristi Christman
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Will be re-graveling the driveways when this septic situation is complete. They are still finishing up the project. In the meantime I’m trying to decide if we want grass or patio; probably some combination. The flower beds by the house get dumped with tree debris making them hard to keep up, plus they don’t stand out enough. I was leaning towards patio and planters next to the house, with grass in a kidney shape closer to the driveway, but this lid situation is causing problems. Sidewalk also needs to be redone as it is now uneven.

• Kristi Christman
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Also, would white blinds or dark brown look better?

• acm
    3 years ago

I don't know that I would stain the brick -- the siding color seems too cool for both brick and roof, so that's where I'd paint. But if you just want to deal with the brick, I'd stain it, so at least you don't creat a new maintenance need. Going dark just seems odd to me with all the white trim.

The location of all those lids is a bummer! I don't know much about the rules, but I'd sure want to make something colorful and disguise-y in that section in front of the house, then allowing the rest of the yard to be reseeded with grass or native plants. One thought would be to surround the lids with pavers, to create a kind of patio. Another would be to group a number of planters at various locations throughout this zone, with free spaces used to allow a winding path. A third idea would be to put a wooden deck that was up on feet and built in sections, so that you could put seating out front, but the whole thing could be easily taken apart when the tank(s) needed servicing. I think it's worth getting a consult from a landscaper, who could suggest what combination of edging, planting, and solid elements would make a nice effect while conforming to utility regulations.

• Kristi Christman
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you very much for your input! I have had some of the same ideas, but having a hard time making a decision. I appreciate your input on the cool color regarding paint. It looks 'off' but wasn't sure why. The opposite side of the house looks better because the roof doesn't show as much, and there's no brick!

• suedonim75
    3 years ago

Just curious, why are there 6 lid? I have a septic, and we just have 1 lid. Ours is actually under the grass.

• Kristi Christman
    Original Author
    3 years ago

We have 2 tanks and a pump system since we are on the water.

• suedonim75
    3 years ago

Ah, ok.

• WestCoast Hopeful
    3 years ago

I would get new grass for the yard and get an artificial grass circle cut to go on top of the lids. We have two in our yard and haven’t done it yet but that’s our plan.

• Kristi Christman
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you all; this is very helpful to hear from others!
    I have considered artificial grass in that whole section. Does anyone have experience with it?

3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

We have an artificial grass putting green in our Southern California (usually drought conditions) front yard. It was installed 6 years ago and still looks amazing. No water required ever! Hubby blows leaves off it now and then. It is as hot as concrete though, because there is concrete under it. The cost was around $10,000 at the time we did it.

• Kristi Christman
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you so much! This picture is super helpful and so is your comment.

3 years ago

@Kristi Christman This shot was taken this last 4th of July where we were all social distancing! Late afternoon with different lighting, but you can see the fake grass has held up.

• Kristi Christman
    Original Author
    3 years ago

That’s great! Seems like an excellent solution- do you remember what product you have? Which brand etc?

3 years ago

It's been a long time. I have a photo of The Turfstore truck, so I imagine it was them. Just google that. I don't know what state you are in, but they do have competition. They were in Palm Desert at that time.

If you aren't doing a putting green, then the whole process is different I'm sure. Good luck with your project. Oh, and watch out for Creeping Elegance!

• Kristi Christman
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Oh boy, that is EXCELLENT advice! Haha! Thank you again:)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH