Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aummie

Trying to brighten up paneled room. Should I chalk paint these pieces?

aummie
3 years ago

This is my mother's vintage dining room, which also consists of a server and table, etc. The traditional look doesn't work in our paneled lodge/farmhouse great room. What are your thoughts about chalk painting it a shade of white and replacing the hardware? Maybe yanking off those frilly details. Or do the actual contents of china and such conflict with the room, both by dating it and/

or being too formal in a casual room? Should I also chalk paint the entertainment console?

Comments (6)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago

IMO chalk paint on those pieces will look cheap and without seeing your space I have no idea of how the pieces work there. IMO displaying crystal and chine is a very traditional look and not at all farmhouse/ lodge.

• freedomplace1
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I would not suggest chalk painting anything.

Don’t destroy those pieces. If necessary, sell them - and get some unfinished and/or cheap pieces to chalk paint, etc. or get some pieces that are more in line with your current style. And yes, a more minimal approach to the China/crystal display would be more in line with your style.

I grew up in New York City, in an 8 bedroom house, built in 1910 - house was full of antiques from all over the world, some of furnishings were shipped from Italy, etc. My father was in shipping. My mother was an artist, from Australia - and she actually grew up on a farm. I say all of this to say: Unless you happen to live on a farm that is very interested in maintaining a more meager + rustic sensibility - don’t be so limited in your thinking that you would pass on and/or consider destroying quality heirloom pieces for a design trend. For I can tell you that the pieces that you have would surely be considered treasures and held in high esteem by many real farmers in actual/real farmhouses.

• aummie
    Original Author
    3 years ago

• apple_pie_order
    3 years ago

These high quality pieces would look much cheaper if covered in chalk paint. Try changing the displayed china and glassware to show off your own pieces.

• aummie
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you so much, Freedomplace 1 and Patricia! That makes sense and I appreciate the honest feedback. Here is an example of our room. It has that rustic/farmhouse/lodge look. This current furniture is from our previous home and now I want to brighten up the space. I don't know how to achieve this, nor do I know how to place this furniture. The only items I want to keep are these two armchairs. Should I make two rooms like this, or try somehow to combine into two?

• aummie
    Original Author
    3 years ago

P.S. Freedom, our house was built somewhere between the late 1880s and early 1900s and is actually on a 55-acre farm on the bay.