Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
khaubs

Ruffled curtains in a girls room! Help with sizing and how to mount...

K H
3 years ago

Hopefully an easy question. Need some sizing help and the best way to mount these. The curtains I would like to purchase that my daughter also loves are these ruffled curtains they are 54" wide and come in 84" or 95" length. I also love how they are cotton and I can wash them easily. I am also planning to use tie backs.

Her window is 5' x 5' total (this is the RO and does not include the 1x4 trim) header height so top of the window is 80" or 6'8". Should I do a tension rod mounting it on the inside of the extension jamb so the curtains don't overlap her pretty window trim? Or just a regular rod? If I do a regular rod how high should I hang it above the window?

Which rod? Which length?

Also should I get three panels and have one hang between the two? This curtain stuff is hard, I tried to find information online and it was really confusing.

Thank you for your help! Just threw in some photos of her room so you could see styling.

Comments (12)

• Pusiwillow Smith
    3 years ago

Look up inside mount curtains for ideas. The style in your screen shlooks like the kind that ties up from the bottom? Maybe? No? Generally window treatments hanging from a rod which is closer the ceiling will draw the eye up and make the space appear taller. It's also a designer touch, but you would lose sight of some of the trim. -Best

• K H
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you! @Pusiwillow Smith they do look like they tie up but they don’t that is a ruffle.

• suezbell
    3 years ago

Would not be usable as inside mount curtains unless they fit entirely inside the window. A 7' curtain will not do that much less the longer one.

I notice that your curtain has a rod pocket which could matter as to the rod you choose and the hardware to hang it. One long sturdy rod should do for four panels to cover both windows but if you hang it on the wall above or beside the window you will need longer support pieces or an adjustable bracket. The rod will need to fit inside the rod pocket.

https://www.onadrapery.com/product/curtain-rod-brackets/wood-pole-brackets/adjustable-bracket/?attribute_pa_style=heavy-duty

Do y'all want these to be shorter curtains -- to keep a more light open airy vibe -- or do you prefer the longer, more formal/finished "drape" length?

Cut a string as long as each length in which the curtains are available. Hold each string at the window to see what length would cover what area to help you decide what you prefer.

If you get three strong adjustable brackets to hold your rod -- for one long rod -- one for each end and another for the center --

You could hang the rod with the brackets attached either to the board above the window or,

By adjusting/extending the bracket to enable the curtain/drape to hang farther away from the wall, you could secure the brackets to the wall -- securing them to the framing behind the drywall instead of attaching them to the top window trim board.

If you want the blank wall between the top of the window, you could hang it to secure it to the double plate at the top of the wall behind the drywall -- that likely would require you use the 96" length curtains if you want them to hover above the floor.

Before the hang-them-at-the-ceiling-sloppy-drag-on-the-floor fad (hate that fad), most people hung the brackets for their curtains or drapes attached to the upper 1"x4" window trim boards and curtains stopped just below the bottom window trim board and drapes hovered just above the floor but the drapes / curtains did not touch the floor.

If you hang the rod near the ceiling, then you'll have a blank wall between the top of the window and the rod when the curtains/drapes are opened fully. Not a look I personally like.

An entirely different option could be to add a shelf or box shelf above the windows and hang the curtains from the bottom of shelf -- requiring a different kind of bracket.

K H thanked suezbell
  • emilyam819
    3 years ago

It looks like the curtain you show is more like a shade - inside mount and not meant to be held back.

K H thanked emilyam819
  • emilyam819
    3 years ago

For outside mount, I like rods to be just above the window trim.

K H thanked emilyam819
  • K H
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I guess the picture is difficult to see what the curtain looks like but it’s is a plain panel. I’m hoping for something like these photos but wanted to see if it would be better to not cover up the window trim.

• WestCoast Hopeful
    3 years ago

Super recommend an inside mount black out shade followed by curtains or something that is mounted outside of window frame for more decor purposes

K H thanked WestCoast Hopeful
  • ctlane
    3 years ago

I would buy the 84" curtains and hang them so that they nearly touch the floor. So about 4" above the trim. If you plan to tie them back you should buy 4, 2 for each side.

K H thanked ctlane
  • new-beginning
    3 years ago

your picture of what you want it to look like won't work with what you posted at the beginning (I sew and I understand how these will not look anywhere near the same). The last picture has wide ruffles and your first pic has very small ruffles; it will NOT look good tied back either. Sorry to disappoint you but better now than after you purchase and hang.

• K H
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I went ahead and bought one panel and hung it up in my mom's dining room to see what it would look like. I think it will work ok. They are going in my daughter's room so I wanted something she helped pick out. I like the wider ruffles but those curtains are twice as much as these. I really like the light filtering instead of the black out. Which she also said she liked.

Obviously needs some pressing though! This is the 84" and it is hung right at the top of the window trim. So go ahead with 84" and 4 panels or the longer 95" ($20.00 more total for the longer ones)

• K H
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Mom's window is taller and narrower than her window but it at least gives an idea...