Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joshua_maker3

Great Room Suggestions Requested; Coffee Table and Chair Placement

Joshua Maker
3 years ago

Refreshed our great room with two new Crate and Barrel chairs and rug. Had a big Pottery Barn couch but replaced it to open up the space. Looking for ideas to complete the look. Needs a coffee table or accent table? Suggestions on placement of the chairs welcome. FYI - we have young children...

Thanks.

Comments (19)

• jck910
    3 years ago

Not much seating for a family. I would put a table between the chairs and no coffee table.

• Maureen
    3 years ago

With a family especially, it’s not ideal not to view kitchen and since you don’t have to consider a tv, I’d place chairs facing each other. Add a large coffee table or ottoman and it will balance space and also be practical. Using shade below will compliment chairs, rug, and wood

• ShadyWillowFarm
    3 years ago

The scale of Those chairs is way to big for the room. What are they looking at? It looks like theater seats without the theater. I would have gone with a smaller scale love seat facing the fireplace and a chair under the windows. That gives you a conversation area, or a place where someone can read a book in front of the fire.

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    3 years ago

I am sorry, but those chairs are a very large scale for the size of the room. Could they be returned?

What would be best would be a smaller scale sofa and then a chair by the bookcase area. Another idea would be a sofa with a chaise. A third would be 4 small scale chairs around a coffee table.

What is the room used for? How many people sit there?

Thanks.

• Joshua Maker
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks all for the comments. I should have noted that the cabinet next to the fireplace opens to a tv. So it’s a place where the kids can do that. On the other side of the fireplace is an additional seating area with a second tv (see attached) We agree the chairs are big - they were custom with the idea two people could share one. We wanted to keep the space feeling open. Advice appreciated.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago

I have no idea why those 2 chairs gave you more space they are huge and make no sense unless there are just 2 of you ever in that space and IMO no 2 people will ever share one of those chairs ,sorry I have no way to help except now just a table in between the chairs and be done and since you have proper seating in the other area just keep this spce for the 2 of you.

• Maureen
    3 years ago

Maybe straighten the chairs, bring them in a bit and add a table inbetween. Then add pouffs to help with balancing out room and don’t forget cushions and a throw

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    3 years ago

Maybe 2 kids could fit in one chair. I would just place a table between the 2 chairs.

You have some good start on ideas, but it needs some tweaking.

In the living room, switch the sofa and 2 blue chairs. Move the sofa up to the other sofa to meet corners. Same with blue chairs.

So, they will no longer be shoved up against the walls.

Pretty rugs and art!

• Joshua Maker
    Original Author
    3 years ago

CDR Design: thanks - do you mean move the sofa against the windows and the two chairs against the wall?

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    3 years ago

Joshua, what I meant was to move the sofa against the windows, yes and then the 2 chairs would be on the wall.

Once you do that, also move both the chairs and the sofa closer to the other sofa......their arms should almost touch.

Let me know how it goes. Thanks

• WestCoast Hopeful
    3 years ago

I love the look of the chairs but not in the space. They won’t be comfy for more than two people watching tv and don’t make me think tv room at all. I would get a different sofa set up. Even, the dreaded, sectional would be good. One with a chaise and ottoman for rearranging depending on who is in space

• Joshua Maker
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

So we now realize that we should have conferred with this forum before spending $1700 on non-stock crate and barrel chairs (we really liked the color and the look in the showroom, but now we admit they are just too big for the space). Does anyone know what our options are with the chairs-crate doesn’t return non stock furniture items? Or where we could sell them without taking a huge hit? Any sofa ideas for this space-below is what it looked like before the chairs

• WestCoast Hopeful
    3 years ago

Before was really nice to be honest. Maybe you just needed a slightly shorter sofa

• Maureen
    3 years ago

The chairs really are no heavier or bulkier than your couch was. The couch’s advantage was you could sit more people. If you think the chairs work from a practical perspective, I would keep. You could add a bench-like coffee table to create balance

• Theresa Janssen
    3 years ago

I agree with trying to rearrange the two rooms to see if the two new chairs can work better in the living room. bring one of the sofas (the one under the art looks smaller than the other one) from the living room and maybe as well one of the blue chairs that is in the living room and try placing it across from the sofa at an angle on one of the ends of the built in

• Theresa Janssen
    3 years ago

another idea is to just try angling the two new chairs a bit more toward the tv and fireplace and placing a side table between them. I actually think that may end up looking great, just need to position them a bit more at an angle vs straight on to the tv

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    3 years ago

The pb sofa is too traditional and is and reads bulky

• doods
    3 years ago

following