Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shannon_amiry

Window Well Well Well...

Shannon
3 years ago

We have a dangerous well right in front of our patio door and nothing seems to fit/hold weight. (Many friends have fallen in) I was thinking of calling a mason to create grates but might still be a trip-hazard. Wondering if anyone has any ideas?
Would it be a bad idea to fill it with gravel? Or soil with plants? There are two next to each other. The basement gets plenty of light from two other windows. (This one is in a closet.)
Thanks in advance!

Comments (7)

• houssaon
    3 years ago

One the reasons you have a problem is that the sliding door opens on the left side putting people on the dangerous path. I think if you fill the well with stone, you are going to have water in the basement. The stone will hold the water against the window every time it rains.

I think your best bet is to get a metal covering like this made to fit flush with the patio. (This is an egress window and the grate is shown open.)

Otherwise, you could remove the window, replace it with masonry and fill in the hole. Extend the concrete over the area.

Well Grates · More Info

Egress Basement Windows · More Info

• Shannon
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you for your help Houssaon, both wells have drains to sump pump - would the gravel still hold the water?

• Christopher CNC
    3 years ago

As houssaon noted your door opens on the left directly in line in with the window well. You don't show the whole patio in the pictures, but at a minimum can you reverse the door so the right side panel opens or at a maximum move the whole door to the right on the patio wall? If you can do that, correct a bad traffic pattern, decorating/hiding the window wells will allow a lot more options.

• houssaon
    3 years ago

Stones hold water, that's the problem. I can say how fast the water will drain. What are the frames made of?

I relocated my AC condenser and took out a basement window. They just took out the window put in concrete block, sealed the outside, and filled up the hold with dirt. It was pretty easy. I don't remember how much it cost, but it could not have been that much.

• Shannon
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks! I’m going to see if I can get the windows taken out and fill the well. I might put planters over them until then. The door can’t be switched we have another on the other side and tried to swap them but they are different sizes. We could eventually get new French doors which would help for sure. Thank you for all your help!

• decoenthusiaste
    3 years ago

I would close up the windows, fill in the recesses and get busy renovating that grungy landing and improving the patio.

• ShadyWillowFarm
    3 years ago

“many friends have fallen in..”. 😂. Swap the door so it opens to the other side, put grates over the wells, and put a bench, table, plant stand etc over the grates.