Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andersonsarah1

Repainting Kitchen Cabinets with BM White Dove - to glaze or not to gz

andersonsarah1
3 years ago

I live in New England, in a custom built house circa 1997. I’m going to repaint the cabinets BW White Dove, but thinking of glazing to more match with the style of the house. I know that glazing is not trending anymore, but I’m afraid a white kitchen would be to stark And bold in an all solid color. Dark Soapstone Counters with light reddish tile floors. All help and opinions appreciated!!!

Comments (18)

• eam44
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Glazing gives you an automatically dated look. So you’re going to the expense and trouble of painting your cabinets only to make them look... like they need to be painted. Also, glazing makes sense if you have a lot of millwork. You don’t.

Why not just paint them a better color to begin with?

Is there any chance you can change the floor tile?

• Jar G
    3 years ago

The floor tile needs to be changed. That is going to look terrible with white cabinets and dark counters.

• Angela Zuill
    3 years ago

I have a hard time picturing white cabinets in your kitchen, especially with the floor tile.

• THOR, Son of ODIN
    3 years ago

The pink floor tiles and wine warming rack over the fridge are what I notice first.

No to glazing in any case.

• Melissa R
    3 years ago

A Google search says that SW Creamy is close to White Dove. Here is a pic

• Bliss149
    3 years ago

To me the white makes the flooring stand out more. I think you're going to need to change out the floor or go with a cabinet color with a pink undertone to it. Maritime White has pink undertone but isn't really white - more of a beige.

• andersonsarah1
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks everyone! I didn’t see it before but now I do. Much appreciated. I was hoping not to do a whole Reno and just a refresh... but 🤷‍♀️

• RedRyder
    3 years ago

My kitchen is SW creamy. It would not look good with your floor. Are you changing it?

• eam44
    3 years ago

@andersonsarah1 that’s OK, it’s hard to really see a space you live in every day. can you show me a close up of your island counter? I think the color you are looking for is in there.

• andersonsarah1
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Island color

• latifolia
    3 years ago

As noted above, over the fridge is the worst possible place for a wine rack. The fridge exhausts hot air, which rises, warming the wine, instead of cooling it, which is what you want.

You could solve that and improve the aesthetics, and likely function, of your kitchen by getting a tall, counter-depth refrigerator.

• Amy k
    3 years ago

I like your cabinets! Without seeing the rest of your house to see the style, my suggestion is to leave the cabinets. If it was my home, I’d tackle it in the following order - I’d replace the flooring; remove the matchy matchy island and replace it with a freestanding island in a style that compliments the rest of your home. I’d remove the wine rack above the fridge. Next, Switch out the hardware on the cabinets. If within the budget, I’d also replace the upper cabinet doors because they have an arch design and replace them to match the lower cabinet doors. And finally, I’d add a pretty backsplash.

• lindastein
    3 years ago

following...

• eam44
    3 years ago

Here are some paint colors to consider. I like the idea of a two toned kitchen in your space, white uppers and color on the bottom. You have so many options because your peripheral counters are neutral, and that island counter has everything in it, whites, beiges, pinks, greens, grays, and blacks.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

I vote to change the floor. I can see that the finish on your cabinets has seen better days, so I agree w/painting. but that pink tile floor stands out like sore thumb!

If it were mine I'd redo the floor.

Paint the cabinets white. (and maybe do a charcoal or green on the island. see below)

I like the island granite. You could even do a two tone (once that floor is changed)

remove the 4" backsplash piece (it's easy to do) and pick a nice tile.

For instance White perimeter cabinets and a black or green island.

Or, pick that smokey charcoal color in the granite. Like this one

Wood floors, soft white perimeter cabs, and this dusky charcoal island color. black hardware. This looks really nice!

here's one w/a sage green

So here's another green island w/your glazing option! I don't really like glazing, but on this green it seems to work. (I would NOT do it on the white)

Or, just do all of the cabinets in this color. beautiful w/the black

and looks great w/this granite. Paint all of the walls a softer white. I'd prob do the brushed gold hardware w/this combo. and a wood floor. (or a soft grayish white tile floor)

They've paired it w/a dark terra cotta tile. (which also looks bomb)

Ok,,,I got it . Iron Ore/Shoji white and one of these sage colors

Floor tile

or wood

new black hardware

found one with Panda White on the cabinets. Island is Grizzle Gray

SW Panda White is a warmer white. See this floor tile? you could do something in this color but in a larger format like a 24x24

SW White Duck. more of a softer white

BM Cloud White

• andersonsarah1
    Original Author
    3 years ago

So helpful! Thank you!

• lbk01
    3 years ago

Love Beth‘s ideas and I think almost any of them would work in your nice space.

• andersonsarah1
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Me too! It’s amazing how a few sets of eyes and the space transforms! I’m so thankful to this group for helping me find the vision.