Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_85082954

Side by side ovens in floor to ceiling cupboards

HU-85082954
3 years ago

Hi
We are currently planning our kitchen renovation which will ideally include 2 ovens, side by side, in the centre of a wall of floor to ceiling cabinets (total width 3.6m). Aesthetically, we love this look but we are worried about the practicalities e.g basting a chicken or turning food over. We will have a peninsular/island unit that will be fairly close by (between 1.2 and 1.8m depending on which oven you're using).
Does anyone have experience of this layout? We're used to an under counter oven where we can take items out and put them directly onto the work surface above.
Would welcome your thoughts.
Many thanks

Comments (11)

• Jonathan
    3 years ago

Get ovens with telescopic rails. This way you open the oven door, pull the shelf out and so the food you are basting is supported by the oven and you don’t have to set it down elsewhere

• Sonia
    3 years ago

My sister has double ovens in her new kitchen, but she has placed them so there is a good stretch of worktop immediately next to the ovens, as well as the island. Even in my oven, the racks pull out and sit in place like Jonathans picture, which allows me to baste. My sisters layout is rather like this, but this isn’t her kitchen.

HU-85082954 thanked Sonia
  • HU-85082954
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks Jonathan

That looks like a good option. We'll have a look at these. 👍

• Daisy England
    3 years ago

I have a double oven in a tower which is in a long run of floor to ceiling units. Although I have a worktop next to it I either manage by balancing the meat pan on the oven door or walking to the sink area. For some reason I never use the worktop next to it 🤔. Perhaps it’s because it has bits and bibs stored on it and I’m reluctant to get splashes of grease on them. I also have an island close by.

I like the look of 2 single ovens like you’re planning and don’t think you will have any problems.

• HU-85082954
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks so much Daisy - I could just be over-thinking this.

• Richard L
    3 years ago

I've just done a similar transition - from under hob oven to stand alone...

Seems ok so far - key points to consider:

Elbow room on both sides to open the oven door - for example we have at least 200mm before the wall on onside and open on the other.

Set down space on a worktop next to it - or nearby

I found these 'rules' useful for planning - not to adhere to - but as a reference on good practice (In Australia in this example - the country doesn't matter - it just gives some structure and makes you actively think before breaking them)

https://renomart.com.au/39-essential-guidelines-kitchen-design/

• HU-85082954
    Original Author
    3 years ago

That's great Richard. Thanks for the link - really helpful.

• PRO
    Smeg UK
    3 years ago

We're so excited you have

We would like to echo some of the recommendations already made - having island and counter space nearby is incredibly important, as well as a sturdy oven with racks and oven doors which can potentially withstand weight. Richard's comment regarding elbow room is also definitely one to watch out for.

We'd also recommend having your hob and extractor nearby - for example, on an island opposite your built-in ovens as shown in the image below. This helps you to transfer from hob to oven and back again, and can also help deal with the smell of cooking!

Please don't hesitate to get in touch if you would like any further advice.

• HU-85082954
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks! Really appreciate the advice.

• Ruth Brooksbank
    3 years ago

We have ovens mounted in the wall, and although they are standard height I'm 5ft1 and struggle when grilling or getting things out of the top ones. I wish we'd bought ovens with retractable doors, as they would enable me to each inside the ovens better. They are a bit more expensive, but would have been worth it in my case. The other option is to have them lower, as the bottom ones are easier to reach in

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz