Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ralph_zone8_nc

Dried worm/ants in lawn

ralph_zone8_nc
3 years ago

So this area has been infested with Virginia Buttonweed I think. I have not touched it now for 2 years but hoped by fertilizing the lawn, it would be choked out. I even did a mulch-mow just once and later I saw this weed spread, so stopped the mulch mow after I noticed. This season I was bagging the grass to avoid spreading weeds around. Got tired of this weed and pulled up most of it by hand. Underneath, I found these bugs/worm and ants swarming.

What is this worm?

Also the highlighted area , is actually a black moth and found couple of them flying around.

The marked area had ants swarming around -

These areas were hit by pre-emergent but the buttonweed was already established and I understand a pre-emergent won't help here. I am not comfortable using round-up or weed killers but plan on spraying a insecticide (Talstar) and hit this area with starter fertilizer.(24-25-4)

Any thoughts?

Comments (5)

• dchall_san_antonio
    3 years ago

You need to adjust your expectations for a lawn. You're going to have buttonweed. You can not ignore it away.

Forget about the insecticide. If the bugs are not bothering anything, leave them alone.

• ralph_zone8_nc
    Original Author
    3 years ago

My concern is the bug was poking out of the lawn and whether it is hindering the growth of bermuda? Just applied a starter fertilizer and watered in, skipipng the insecticide. The buttonweed I have not seen in other bermuda lawns, so was under the impression it shouldn't be there :)

• dchall_san_antonio
    3 years ago

You are correct that it shouldn't be there. The reason it is not there in other bermuda lawns is that those owners are willing to spot spray the weeds with herbicides like Weed-b-Gon and Weed-b-Gon Chickweed, Clover, and Oxalis Killer.

It is interesting that you are not willing to spray herbicide but you are willing to spray insecticide. Of the two, I think herbicide causes less damage happens to the immediate lawn. There are thousands of species of beneficial microscopic insects in the soil which would be negatively affected by the insecticide.

As for your macro sized insects, they would not be affecting a bermuda lawn until you had a more fully established lawn. Most creatures need a sufficient quantity of food before they will move in and populate enough to cause damage.

There is an organic way to take care of most insects which you might not have heard about. They are called 'beneficial nematodes.' These are not plant eating nematodes. These little guys carry a disease that is deadly to insects. They are also very tiny and can crawl into a host insect. As they do they deposit the disease organisms, lay eggs, and the hatched larvae feed on the dead insect carcass. As they exit the carcass, they pick up the disease organisms and make their way to a new host. Call your local nurseries to see if they carry them. They should be refrigerated and have a shelf life of only two weeks, so be ready to use them as soon as you get them home. They spray from a hose end sprayer.

• User
    3 years ago

"Of the two, I think herbicide causes less damage happens to the immediate lawn."

They do. Insecticides and fungicides tend to be homicidal wide-spectrum serial killers with long-term consequences. It can take quite a while for the proper balance to return.

Herbicides kill what they kill and are gone. They break down reasonably quickly into chemicals that no longer kill plants, and become dinner for bacteria.

• ralph_zone8_nc
    Original Author
    3 years ago

dchall - Thanks for that, yes WeedbGon I used that and it has helped. Not that I want to use insecticides and till date not sprayed anything other than weedbGon few months back. Will resume back to some weedbgon and will check on the 'beneficial nematodes.'

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer