Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cksommer

Architect, Designer, or Contractor?

cksommer
3 years ago

We have purchased a fixer upper that we've been living in for the past year. Using Google Sketchup we've roughly sketched a new floorplan (with no additions) that will involve opening up load-bearing walls. We don't know whether we need to work with an architect, designer, or just a contractor in order to create the finalized floorplan and commence construction. Whom should we engage? Let me know if there is any other details that would be helpful in answering this question. Thanks in advance!

Comments (15)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago

IMO you need an architect that person will be able to assess what can be done to remove load bearing walls and also what is and isn’t possible on your budget. A designer will help with actual layout of the spaces and a KD for the kitchen isa IMO a must . The contractor carries out what the architect and designer have designed. So I guess the answer is all of the above Sometimes if you find a really good contractor they can get the ball rolling as to wall removal but I would want an architect or a structural engineer for that plan.I like that you have lived there for a year you will have muchbetter understanding of the house for sure and how it functions for your life.

• dsnine
    3 years ago

Agreed, you need an architect. The cost of a few hours of work and plans might not be as much as you think - they should be able to engage a structural engineer if pertinent to the scope of the reno, plus work with the layout and functionality. That’s as close as you will get to a one stop shop to properly cover all bases :)

Be aware, though, they might not use your sketch as they could have a different idea of space flow and planning that might work better. The less they are constrained by your ideas the better the results generally are, even if they end up in a similar place. But they could have some great ideas you haven’t thought of.

• missenigma
    3 years ago

Depending upon the scale and scope, a structural engineer can meet your needs. For example when I was remodeling my kitchen, I wanted to remove a load bearing archway. I hired a structural engineer to determine the necessary beam sizes and determine what changes need to be made to the existing framing.

I went from this . . . .

To this . . .

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    3 years ago

Either an architect to do both design and structure, or an interior designer plus a structural engineer. You'll need a contractor, of course, to do the remodel. Invest in design first, then get bids from contractors based on the drawings.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    3 years ago

Architect first; then it can be determined who else need be involved: general contractor, carpenters, engineer, electrician, plumber, HVAC contractor, drywall installer, insulation contractor, psychiatrist, painter, movers, flooring installer, interior decorator, etc.

• cksommer
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks all for your input!

• PRO
    User
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

We have worked with some amazing design-build firms who have the artistic eye and know how of an architect and the knowledge and ability of a contractor to implement the ideas. They eliminate the need to hire an architect, interior designer and contractor separately but are more of a "one stop shop" kind of feel. However, like anything, make sure you do your research on whoever you hire. We have been fortunate to work with some very skilled and talented design-build professionals. Good luck on your search!

• WestCoast Hopeful
    3 years ago

When we removed a load bearing wall in our old home we worked with a contractor and structural engineer. No designer or architect but we knew exactly what we wanted to accomplish. My husband drew the plan out and took it and applied for permit. No issues.

I would absolutely not just get an architect. If you go that route you also need a contractor who will do the work. You need a team to make it happen and keep you on budget.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    3 years ago

Nobody caught my innuendo?

• missenigma
    3 years ago

@Mark Bischak, Architect I do now. LOL. Initially it went innMYendo and out the other without registering. :-)

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 years ago

@ Mark

We LIVE for your innuendo's. Really . : )

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 years ago

If brave, you could show us the fixer upper ?

• tdemonti
    3 years ago

I'd start with my municipality to learn what if any permits are needed.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    3 years ago

You start with a general contractor; everyone else is a sub on a job like this. When he asks your budget, give it to him. If you'd like to be crushed, pay for a set of beautiful plans that you can't afford to have built. Seen it here plenty of times.