Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_411919912

How easily can parts of this layout be modified?

Kap A
3 years ago

This is the layout of the second floor of the house. I have two questions about this layout:

- Notice the MBR at the "top" of the layout? The Walk-in closet is right in the "middle of the room", separating the MBR into a sitting area. Can the closet be moved all the way to the right, relatively easily (creating a more open MBR)?

- Look at the two BR on the lower left. They don't have any attached bathrooms, but there's one across the hall and the laundry room is right there as well. How difficult would it be to add a bath to one or both of these bedrooms? (decent finished, nothing extravagant).

Any other amazing suggestions for this layout?

Thanks.

Second floor layout:

For reference, the first floor layout:

Comments (17)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago

I am at a loss to understand all the wasted space for openings to the main floor IMO this whole house needs some redo for plan on both floors Is this some stock plan you want to build , do you already own it ? I need more info.

• Jennifer K
    3 years ago

What is it about this house that you like? Other than being very large, it doesn't have a lot to recommend it. Here are some of it's issues:

• the hallway to usable space ratio is bad. You have lots of walking space compared to the amount of staying space
    • the house is too "fat". Getting daylight to the centre of the house will be almost impossible. I suspect that's why the kitchen is 2 stories tall-- there are probably skylights
    • 2 story rooms cost a lot to heat and are not at all cozy
    • inadequate storage for a house of this size combined with badly placed, difficult to access storage

If you have the budget to build a ginormous home, then talk with a proper architect and get them to design one that fits your needs and your site.

• artemis_ma
    3 years ago

Does this house already exist, or are you trying to fix an unbuilt plan?

• decoenthusiaste
    3 years ago

Yes, ditch it and start with an architect who will walk your property and design with your needs and wants in mind and how the property and house will meld.

• bpath
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

So you’re considering 6 bathrooms upstairs? Is there more than one person in each bedroom?

I do like the laundry room. You have room for two sets of machines! They will be handy for a large family, and lots of hamper and folding space. Include a solatube or even a skylight In it.

• katinparadise
    3 years ago

• lmckuin
    3 years ago

I can’t figure out how to link, but OP had a previous post about that giant family room with an even more giant fireplace. This is an existing house.

• Jennifer K
    3 years ago

@lmckuin, is this the post you meant? Also wow! That's not a house; that's a hotel.

• lmckuin
    3 years ago

Yes! I saw that big family room on the floor plan and knew it looked familiar! Thanks for linking.

• BlueberryBundtcake - 6a/5b MA
    3 years ago

I would check whether that left wall is load bearing ... if nothing is load bearing, rearranging is simple; that wall stands out, though, as being in line with a line of walls running down the middle of the house, though that doesn't mean anything definite, just something I'd want someone who knew what to look for to check.

Those bedrooms aren't small, and the one with the "semi-en-suite" is enormous, so there's definitely space for another bathroom. I'm also not really a fan of that "semi-en-suite" and would prefer it as a straight hall bath to having two doors if no other baths were added.

It might actually make more sense to put the new bathroom in the space to the right of that semi-ensuite. This bathroom would be the en-suite for the big bedroom, and the "semi-en-suite" would be just a hall bathroom for those two bedrooms. Those bedrooms would have to share, but you also get the benefit of a bedroom upstairs that isn't through a bedroom.

If you're set on giving them ensuites, though, I would move the big bedroom's closet up with its bathroom (you'd need to do some reconfiguration to move the door), fit in a en-suite for the bottom bathroom where those closets are, and you may still be able to salvage a closet for that bedroom in that space, too, though it might require a bit of rearrangement/adjustment of the room shape. For last room, you could take space from the laundry room for an en-suite, which is a slightly easier change, since there's plumbing right there, where as there isn't in the closet conversion, so you'd need to figure out running the pipes and all with the garage below.

The kitchen with the opening above definitely seems odd. I might consider switching the kitchen and dining room, changing the walls of the breakfast room to still be more open to the kitchen than the dining room, and removing the wall that separates the two story room from the hall with the basement door. I'd also probably close up the floor over that room and use the new space as an upstairs sitting area.

Kap A thanked BlueberryBundtcake - 6a/5b MA
  • Lisa Dipiro
    3 years ago

You already have 4 bedrooms with en-suite bathrooms..is the goal for every bedroom to have them?

• Kap A
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Not necessarily, but if it could be done relatively easily, it'd be a preference.

• bpath
    3 years ago

Are there 3 sets of stairs? Two in the same room?

And with all those ensuites, the parents still have to share a relatively small bath. And even the breakfast room gets its own ensuite powder room. There's no storage space in any of those bathrooms.

Grand front entry, but no drop zone for the family at the garageentry.

It's a most unusual house.

But as you say, location is important! Unusual isn't necessarily bad (although this might be pushing the envelope). So, you could steal space from the laundry for an ensuite for one bedroom. For the bedroom at the end of the hall, maybe convert the closet? It's right above the powder room, after all.

And for all its "unusualness", the things you want to change are not necessarily flaws, just things that don't suit your family needs. The seller may think "if you want an extra ensuite, why should I take a hit on my price?"

• Kap A
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@bpath - In the floorpan what's labeled as "pantry" is completely wrong. It should have been called "mud room" and then it would make sense. And what's labeled as a Walk-In closet on the first floor can easily be turned into a slightly smaller closet and a dedicated pantry.

And yes, no storage and/or built-ins in a lot of places. I'm very handy, so I intend to remediate that if we end up buying this house.

And yes, the bathrooms overall could use some renovating. We took all that into consideration when making an offer. Apparently the sellers think otherwise.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago

You have trouble finding broadband in DC that I don’t believe as for the house I already stated by the time you fix whats wrong you could build new IMO. The cleaning crew to clean this monster would break my bank, sens guests to a hotel and get a house that fits your family.

• Kap A
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I think you may have misunderstood me. We don't live IN DC, and we don't want to live in DC. I was just using the DC reference to show the general location of the house.

Once you move to the suburbs/exhurbs around DC, you'll be surprised how many houses are still on Oil heat, DSL/Phone lines, subpar electrical etc.