emma_lou2

Long narrow hallway and foyer decor

Em
3 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Comments (33)

• Jennifer K
    3 years ago

Since the long gallery is nicely divided from the other rooms by arches, you could choose a bold wallpaper to go above the panelling. Or you could replace the ceiling lights with something a bit blingy.

• Em
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Jennifer K love the wallpaper idea! I was actually thinking of switching to these lights.

• Em
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Is there any good way to hang pictures or something personal here? I wasn’t sure if some minimalistic frames could look good between the paneling. It goes way to high to put pictures or art above it.

• IdaClaire
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

The paneling IS the art. It stands alone to make a statement, and you don't need to add anything to the walls in my opinion. I would focus instead on creating a wonderfully artistic vignette on the buffet piece. What's currently sitting there is too small, but something like a big piece of artisan pottery (or three) could be very cool. In a space such as this, less is more. Let the existing elements take center stage. I would definitely, however, replace those ceiling lights.

• lynartist
    3 years ago

I can’t see the ceiling in the hallway but am assuming there are a couple lights there. It’s not a boring space at all and doesn’t need anything other than much better lighting than the builder grade lights that are there. The paneling and lighting should be the art!

• lynartist
    3 years ago

Beautiful home BTW!

• IdaClaire
    3 years ago

Click on the photo and you can see the space in its entirety.

• krystalmoon2009
    3 years ago

All you need is new lights in that hallway!

• lynartist
    3 years ago

Nope, this is what I get

• Julie Martin
    3 years ago

I came here to suggest a beautiful wallpaper on that upper portion as well and saw it was already mentioned!

• lynartist
    3 years ago

I think the foyer lighting could be upgraded as well.

Em thanked lynartist
  • IdaClaire
    3 years ago

Here ya go:

• Cynthia
    3 years ago

Add a runner!

• lynartist
    3 years ago

• Em
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@lynartist love these! I already these ordered lights but maybe I should return them! I like the more ornate options. But my great room has a wagon wheel so need something that coordinates with that look. any thoughts? Would you return these?

• lynartist
    3 years ago

Yes, I would return those!

• lynartist
    3 years ago

I’m not sure which ones you like that I showed but this is a very lovely home with an upscale look! It deserves beautiful lighting!!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

melissa, I like the square lights, however in that hallway w/all of the paneling, I think lyn's suggestion works better. the square ones look a tad too modern for the style.

maybe a runner?

or maybe something with a little bling

I think the console is too dark and heavy for that space.

• lynartist
    3 years ago

These are not inexpensive but they do come in different finishes!

• lynartist
    3 years ago

They are all the art you need in this beautiful space.

• lynartist
    3 years ago

Those look nice Beth; my only problem with the cut crystal drum shade fixtures is the way they refract light and throw it all around the room. That could be very distracting in this narrow space. A fixture with crystal teardrops is less distracting I think.

• lynartist
    3 years ago

If you are concerned any of these are too bling for the style of the rest of your house something like this Lucerne is a very understated but elegant fixture.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

I thought about that lyn. i actually have a similar light w/crystal balls that hang. I don't use my hallway for anything that needs really good light, so I don't mind the refraction effect. The light is ample though. just depends on what OP does in her hallway!

thought maybe a runner would add a little interest too.

• lynartist
    3 years ago

I do like your idea of a lighter console. Something with more interest would be my choice ... these are from Hooker furniture

• Em
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@lynartist yes I love the Lucerne!!! I think that adds to the look without being too upscale for my great room (pictured

• Em
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@lynartist i definitely need a lighter console - when we moved here I had no style and I’ve slowly learned not to buy everything “farmhouse”. 🤣 The console will be replaced at some point but it will be a while. my pendant light in the foyer will need to stay too For now. With the foyer light I have and then the wagon wheel I showed in my great room pics, do you think the Lucerne will look good? I’m leaning that way. It’s a lor less modern than my foyer light. You’ll be able to see the foyer light and the hall lights at the same time which has me a little worried but I actually think the Lucerne may be a good “transition” from the more modern/bright foyer and formal dining, to the more cozy and relaxed great room. What do you think?

• suezbell
    3 years ago

Wainscoting or paneling is decoration enough.

Aside from a rug you truly like and a wall color you truly like, leave it empty.

• Em
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Beth H. : love the lights you shared too!! It didn’t even cross my mind to look at less flush lights. Can you give me your thoughts on my above reply to lyn? Couldn’t agree with you more on the console - it will be a while before I change that out but i can’t wait until that day comes.

• lynartist
    3 years ago

I think you should have a design plan for the future and buy things accordingly. When you just try to fill up space you end up with things you don’t really care for in the end. Start an ideabook of rooms and designs that you love, make notes of things that inspire you. You are a young family so there is no rush! It’s not as though you don’t have light! These were ideas for you to mull over and think about so I would just do that! Spend more time in your beautiful new home and get a feel for what you might like it to be . You have a wonderful start!!

• Em
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@lynartist but I want it all done right now!! 🤣 Haha you are SO right though!!

• lynartist
    3 years ago

I know! That’s the hard part😉

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

i think the lucerne would work.

if you want to match the lantern lights you have (and the wheel), look into semi-flush lantern lights

• suezbell
    3 years ago

In a narrow hallway, picture frames can be bumped into and knocked off the wall, potentially damaging the wall and the picture frame and its picture. People would need to stop and turn to actually see the pictures so their hanging on a narrow hall wall isn't practical as decor. Then there is the added dusting to consider. In a considerably wider foyer/hallway or on the wall of an open stairwell ... perhaps -- but in a narrow hallway ... nope. Aside from a great light and flooring, perhaps with a runner rug you like, if you need color or "something else" above the paneling/wainscoting, consider wallpaper with a print you particularly like.