Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ellen_bshaw

What is going on with this Pothos?

Ellen Bshaw
3 years ago

I have had this pothos maybe 4 years or more. It is in a good draining soil in an 8 inch pot. I have been seeing this spotting on the leaves for a couple of months. I have looked for pest, sprayed it, and just recently put a systemic in the soil, but still the leaves are getting this spotting and just recently I have notice browning on the edges of the leaves.

I water her when the soil is dry.

Comments (7)

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    3 years ago

When did you last repot or pot up? Which did you do?

Al

• Ellen Bshaw
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I probably just potted up this one. Pretty sure it was before I learned the difference between the two and to be honest it could have been in that pot longer just don’t remember. BTW Al, the second stem on my FLF finally put out a new leaf!!

• hc mcdole
    3 years ago

Remove the old, tired, yellowing, broken leaves. Easy-peasy. The last photo of the entire plant looks great BTW.

3 years ago

Strong work on the FLF!

I think it would straighten itself out if you repotted or started a new planting with a cutting, make sure the soil is ok and your watering is well-managed, and fertilize regularly. BTW - there is no need to put a dozen cuttings in a pot in order to get a full plant. Simply pinch each runner when, it has 2 leaves on it. 1 runner turns into 2, 2 to 4, 4 to 8, 8 to 16 runners, all from a single stem.

Example. I removed (pinched) the apex (growing tip of the branch) from this cutting when I started it.

You can see the stub, which has long since been cleaned up/removed. Because I pinched it, it immediately back-budded and now has a branch growing in both leaf axils. When these 2 new branches have grown 2 new leaves, I'll pinch those, too ..... and just keep on pinching.

Al

• Ellen Bshaw
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Sounds like a plan! Thanks all!

• Elena Nuta
    3 years ago

Hi Al,
    I thought pothos was unlikely to send out two shoots when a stem is cut back, especially in a hanging basket.

Elena

3 years ago

Hi, Elena - If you terminate/truncate a vine, it doesn't kill it, it keeps on growing. So where would the new growth come from? From latent buds in leaf axils or immediately above leaf/bundle scars. Some vines do form adventitious buds (buds that form in places other than at nodes) that give rise to new growth, but I have never witnessed this in pothos, which doesn't mean much.

Generally speaking, the plant's level of vitality and stored energy reserves, the plant's current ability to capture the sun's energy to make food, fertility levels, especially N availability, and when truncation of vines/runners occurs in relation to the seasons or growth cycle, determines the amount of enthusiasm shown in the response . If a pothos is reluctant to back-bud from more than one node proximal to to the pinch, it would be predictable due to the probability that what moved the grower to act (insofar as pinching) would be because the plant is giving visual signals it's struggling. Cutting a healthy plant back yields a significantly more enthusiastic response than cutting back one about to cross the I'm finished line.

Al

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations