Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenn_williams51

Need help decorating an entryway/living room in a rental.

Jenn Williams
3 years ago

Hello! My boyfriend and I recently moved in together. I didn't have much furniture, his is all stuff from college. We are trying to make our house feel like a home and decorating doesn't come easy for me. I asked my boyfriend what he would like in a home, his answer was "western." I tried to ask more questions as to what he meant by that (western could mean lots of things), which he couldn't answer. We have an open floor plan so it would be nice to have some sort of cohesiveness. I've attached pictures and measurements. The only items we plan on keeping is the 8 x 10 rug, the 8" leather couch, and the 5" tv stand in the middle of the entertainment center. Any help is appreciative!!

Comments (22)

• Theresa Janssen
    3 years ago

congrats on the new place. I think you have some great pieces to start with. for the seating grouping, one thought is to make a seating group with your sofa and two chairs. I would shift the sofa, rug and tv and stand to the left some if you are facing the back of the sofa so that you can place the two chairs facing each other, one in front of the window and one across from it. I would get non leather chairs so you don't overload with leather, maybe two navy chairs. I might also get a sofa table for the back of the sofa. I would remove the extra pieces around the tv stand as they are off in style a bit IMO. I might add a cowhide rug layered on your current rug to add some additional dimension to the room. then a coffee table, a side table, and a couple floor lamps. finally i would create a gallery art wall, maybe all black and white art pieces, on the tv wall for dimension and add some pillows.

Jenn Williams thanked Theresa Janssen
  • Jenn Williams
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks Theresa! We are for sure getting rid of the side/top pieces around the t.v. (we have them currently listed for sale) and I was thinking navy would look good with the color scheme as well! What are your thoughts on the wall with the dvd's? I want to add some sort of table, or maybe a sideboard, but I'm not exactly sure? Same with the entry way, I thought about a bookshelf where the tile/wood meet. Then some sort of bench or something right as you come in. The big issue that I'm having is I'm not sure which material to go with? We have an acacia wood table, then the wood tv stand, I feel like I'm going to have 50 shades of wood in my house.

• Theresa Janssen
    3 years ago

LOL about shades of wood. definitely want to bring in other materials like metals, fabric and even painted pieces. the entry looks tight for a bench IMO, i might just add art in the entry hall and then a console table with perhaps two ottomans under it for extra seating at the point it opens up into the living room... something like the below. is there a hallway to the left as you walk into the living room. I ask because if so, the console with ottomans and art above would be a nice vingnette as you walk down the hallway to the living room. as for the cds and that wall, can you explain and maybe take more pics of where that wall is from a broader view? is it next to the kitchen?

• Theresa Janssen
    3 years ago

I'm going to look for some pieces for the room and see what you think. bbl.

• Jennifer Williams
    3 years ago

I’ve attached a panorama picture, hopefully that explains it a little bit better. When you walk into the living room, to the left is the wall with the DVD’s.

• Jennifer Williams
    3 years ago

Apparently panorama‘s don’t load? I attached ask you walk into the house, what’s to the left and a head on view, looking at the wall.

• Jennifer Williams
    3 years ago

• Jennifer Williams
    3 years ago

• Theresa Janssen
    3 years ago

thanks. panoramas are very distorted so I like just regular pics. heres a few ideas for additional furniture and some pillow ideas. I think the console and ottomans could go either on the wall where the cds are or on the wall as you walk thru the entry into the living area

• Theresa Janssen
    3 years ago

a few other ideas...

• Theresa Janssen
    3 years ago

I wonder if once you add a chair to the seating grouping looking out the window, if there will be enough walking space in front of the wall where the cds are for a console and ottomans, so if not,, another option. is to add one large vertical piece of art for that wall... just a few ideas

Jenn Williams thanked Theresa Janssen
  • Shoemaker
    3 years ago

When are you guys getting married?

• Jenn Williams
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I guess the it'll depend on the size of chairs I get? I don't think I'll have enough room to put a sofa table behind the couch. If I shift the couch to the right, the back door hits it, if I shift to the left, that'll leave maybe 1-2 ft between the couch and the corner of the fireplace. But I think a table that size would work on the wall to the right of the entry way, next to the fireplace.

• Jenn Williams
    Original Author
    3 years ago

No plan on getting married

• Shoemaker
    3 years ago

Im so sorry. You deserve better

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    3 years ago

I like your shelving, look good for me. I would sand it down and make it look the same wood as TV stand.

• Jenn Williams
    Original Author
    3 years ago

My favorite is Mid-Century Modern as well! But not what the bf wants. When I think of western, farmhouse, cabin, rustic comes to mind. His dad was a professional bull rider and he wants pictures of cows/cowboys, outdoors. But he doesn't want Native American print (I had to coerce him in getting the rug). Everything could be reclaimed barn wood if he had it his way, I just want more color and textures to break it all up. I'm even down for an eclectic mix of items as long as it blends.....but is that even possible?

• Theresa Janssen
    3 years ago

I absolutely think your MCM style can be combined with the more rustic style of your boyfriend. it can look awesome. one thought is to get a coffee table that has that mcm vibe and some table lamps that have that vibe too. as for some art, I bet your boyfriend has some great pics of his dad bull riding, wondering if you would like getting some photos framed for a gallery wall on either the wall where the cds are or on the wall where the tv is?

• Theresa Janssen
    3 years ago

heres some ideas to bring in the MCM feeling with the rustic with a chair, coffee table and a table lamp.

• acm
    3 years ago

Just since nobody else mentioned it, a possibility to try or consider: put the TV and console on the wall where you currently have the bookcase. Then you can have couch(es) and chair(s) on the current TV and window walls, the living room will feel larger, and the seating will be facing both the TV and the fireplace, which is currently orphaned.

• Jennifer Williams
    3 years ago

Yes! My bf did mention arranging the furniture like that. I wasn’t sure if the room would feel empty since we haven’t fell in love with many furniture pieces. Between that arrangement and the piece Theresa suggested, I think I could do this! Maybe even with this set up, I’ll get a proposal ;)