Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sbobally420

Exterior Paint Color- stucco- reddish tile roof

sbobally420
3 years ago

Track home- that being said I love our home. I need help on picking a color that is different/ stand out. But goes with the architecture of the house- that is basically boring. We remodeled our kitchen 2 years ago. We are in the process of redoing our patio area to have a pergola/partially covered (roof) combo. Will include some photos so you can see our “style”. Don’t know if that helps or not. We live in California- Bay Area. Can get warm though usually short heat waves. Thinking of a darker color for the house- but have read about heat and upkeep etc.
Appreciate suggestions

Comments (26)

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I think I'd go lighter vs. darker for this home. A sandy beige or a light taupe with off white for the trim would be nice; then go with a burgundy color for the front door.

• chloebud
    3 years ago

I agree with Sabrina regarding a lighter color. A sage or gray-green works nicely with your roof color. A soft white for the trim.

• Shoemaker
    3 years ago

Good job on your kitchen. It looks fantastic. Paint the house all white, call it a day. Your low maintenance landscaping says you dont want to have to invest time. It would be a lot of investment to paint it darker. More time, painting maintenance more often.

• sbobally420
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you ALL for the input...the picture of the house and landscaping was 3 years ago ...looks the same but of course the plants are larger, especially the Marina Arbutus on the baby knoll(?). Shoemaker - we are pleased with the kitchen turnout too

• sbobally420
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Leaning towards the white because so many houses in the area are in the Taupe/ beige tones. And right now the house is Kelly Moore’s Sawdust...painted 15 years ago...ugh this is a tough decision. Thanks again

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    3 years ago

Gray, taupe colors would work.

• sbobally420
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Pricklypearcactus - thank you. The undertones in white are huge...perhaps grey green undertoned White? Or a more grey brown under toned white= taupe...but I don’t want it to look dirty. And then trim?
    We have very little to “break up “ whatever color we choose. Thanks again

• User
    3 years ago

I like the tones in the large stones in your front yard landscaping. I'd echo that, with a paint job that showed off the texture of your exterior. I would tone down the trim around your stark white bump out window, and whatever other windows are stark white. I'd also think about switching to copper gutters and downspouts.

I'm personally fond of doing somewhat surprising things, so I might spend some time studying whether it would be possible to do the 2nd floor upper windows' trim in a very very subtle shade of lavendar or whatever comes closest as a faint echo of the pretty purplish flowers you have close to the curb. Or I might consider just the right shade of shade of sage or a pale pine. Are the grilles a permanent fixture of the window or pop-ins? If they are removable, you might remove them temporarily and see if you prefer that going forward with the new paint job.

But not everybody likes to do nutty things.

• Mary Wiggenhorn
    3 years ago

Sand, reddish tone tan, light gray, light safe will all showcase your pretty roof, I think. And a deep cream for the window trim and maybe the front door and maybe even the front door alcove.

• Lynn G
    3 years ago

White. Perhaps a creamy white with bright white trim... Or even black. My favorite white that I use in the interior is Ben Moore's "Chantilly Lace". I think it looks bright without being too yellow or too blue... There's still warmth AND brightness to it though.

I think the challenge with beige is it looks dirty from the start. I've never seen a shade I think is attractive, rather folks pick it thinking it looks "neutral". White's neutral too, but looks clean. And that wood trim/decor/pergola in the back - keep that natural like you have it. There's a beautiful depth to natural wood that is lovely to keep.

• Maude Adams
    3 years ago

I’m a fan of most of the white suggestions. But I’d also go with a bright color on the front door — maybe something close to the roof tone, but with some yellow it it for cheerfulness. Would contrast nicely with the purple blooms.

• debc25
    3 years ago

How about a slightly darker green tone similar to what you have right now? Like a khaki green color? With cream trim.

• apple_pie_order
    3 years ago

Currently popular colors would be light sage green or soft white, both with terracotta trim.

• Kate
    3 years ago

I have a Mediterranean- style barrel tile roof as well. We don't have white windows but we have a white garage door and some off-white trim. Our house is painted Sherwin Williams Shiitake. I'd say it's a tight taupe. The previous owners picked it but I think it's a nice color and could work for you.

• Susan F
    3 years ago

I believe there’s an app for changing the colors of the photo you use. However, I’m a fan of a soft white, so gorgeous with the tiled roof. Go crazy on the trim if you like.

• Bette P
    3 years ago

If you are considering white, this chart might inspire.

• lazidazi
    3 years ago

I agree strongly with the sage, gray/green suggestions. Then pick a terra-cotta color for the door and entry. Because they appear to be vinyl, you could leave the windows as they are, except consider painting just the window Sill the terra-cotta accent color.

• swampy315
    3 years ago

I grew up in Santa Barbara and love red tile roofs. Consider Kelly-Moore's Star of the Garden with a pure white trim. It is a wonderful background for most plants. Consider something unexpected for the front door, like Kelly-Moore's Mallard.

• maudepace001
    3 years ago

If you have an HOA I would check what colors are acceptable, I read horror stories making the owner change color.

• isletwoisle
    3 years ago

I'm with the white crowd (and black window trim would be IMO a very modern look). We have a similar color (metal) roof so I have been dealing with this same quandary for a few years (and have yet to make a decision - it's a really tough color roof to deal with!) You have a lot of good advice here - good luck!

• GILBERT HERNANDEZ
    3 years ago

Gilbert H

I also had a hard time selecting the right exterior colors. This were my selections.

• GILBERT HERNANDEZ
    3 years ago

Sherwin William colors. Red tile roof. Some of the tiles were painted a teal color. Stucco walls.

• bygeorgi
    3 years ago

You have a lovely house ..white stucco with some charcoal grey with blue undertones for some trim areas and garage door would be very refreshing in a sea of beige to taupe track homes, a kind of California modern look. Changing the look of the garage door to either match your pergola color or a trim color will go a long way to update , giving you great curb appeal. The red tile roof gives you some thing to run with for bumping up the style. I would add some Saltillo tile for the porch and walkway to repeat that roof color , some new lighting that's larger in scale and some more structural plantings such as blue agave.

• ckimmel
    3 years ago

I agree with the soft white/ sage crowd but wanted to add that you consider adding large succulents to your landscape to give it a updated vibe.

• sbobally420
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you to everyone- so many great ideas....