Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katyajini

Your blooming-est rose?

katyajini
3 years ago

Would you share which one of your roses blooms the most? Well, can be more than one.

I dont have that many roses, but for me it has to be Marie Pavie. This rose just pours its heart out and does not stop. Always covered with waftiest fragrant blooms.

My second is Bolero. This rose just keeps on making gorgeous fragrant blooms too. It never stops either.

Very lucky for me that these two roses are disease resistant, easy to grow and sooooo fragrant.

So what roses bloom and bloom and bloom for you through out the season?

Comments (145)

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    3 years ago

Charles isn't very big. Maybe 3x3

• BirdsLoveRosesSoCalCoast
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Thanks - he might be perfect for me!

Except for the slow re-bloom thing...

Still, I might try him.

• noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque)
    3 years ago

FWIW, Huntington Rose has a similar appearance to it flowers as CRM, and has good rebloom for me. It had at least a few flowers on it all summer, even when all the other roses shut down in the heat. They have fragrance, but rather mild to my nose and in my environment. It’s not a rose that gets covered in an impressive flush, but it is a continual bloomer. The photo may not show it, but the blooms are almost globular and look a lot like small peonies.

3 years ago

Birds, the slow rebloom may just be mine because I have seen other reviews that said that theirs had good rebloom .It isn't my best rose but it is getting better .

3 years ago

noseometer - Thanks. I have The Huntington Rose - planted in 2019, it's still young but getting a lot of new growth and a few blooms right now. I LOVE that cupped peony look - I can't grow peonies here, the temps are too mild - so this form of rose is the next best thing! Mine has mild fragrance, too. And best of all - no disease in my climate.

Kristine - thanks. Good to know that Charles RM can get better - I'm ordering it now :)

• rosecanadian
    3 years ago

Noseometer - the bloom pointing downward looks soooo much like a glorious peony!!

• Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

Nose, that's a gorgeous photo of your peony like Huntington Rose blooms. Other peony looking roses are Brother Cadfael and Jude the Obscure. Even Boscobel has quite a few blooms with the peony look. Diane

• Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

• Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

• Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

Golden Celebration has a lot of those globular blooms, too. Diane

3 years ago

Diane, I always love seeing photos of your Brother Cadfael and your Jude! I’ve copied down your fertilizing regimen. I’m going to do it next year.

Here are some better photos of Huntington Rose, taken yesterday.

3 years ago

Wow! Your Huntington rose is stunning !

• Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

Nose, those Huntington photos are gorgeous, and I have to say the Bro isn't blooming right now--his last big flush was strictly crunchified in the dry heat--so your Huntington Rose is the summer winner. Jude just plinks along with some very pretty blooms that don't last. So far my summer winners are The Prince, Tamora, and the usuals--Julia Child, Ballerina, Boscobel, Golden Celebration, Young Lycidas (much improved), Munstead Wood, and even Twilight Zone. Augusta rests between huge flushes. She's just finishing up one. Bernstein-Rose (all three) have done quite well, but no one grows those but me, I think. I've missed some, but lists get tedious. All in all this has been a pretty good summer, after a rocky spring start. Diane

• rosecanadian
    3 years ago

Diane - all of your photos are GLORIOUS!!! Angels are singing, etc....but the one that slams me in the face with its beauty is your 2nd picture!!! Someone should paint that!! Holy Hannah!!! Hey, that would be a good name for a rose...Holy Hannah! :) I would just curl up and die with happiness if I had blooms like yours!!! :)

Noseometer - your Huntington Rose is wonderful!! What luscious lavender colors!!! Mmmmm :)

• Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

Carol, I'm blushing. Your last group of photos was so wonderful. I'm still loving Soeur Emmanuelle. I have looked up that one in HMF so many times. Below is my favorite rose photo from this summer so far. I've posted it before, but here it goes again. Diane

• Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

3 years ago

Oh my, Diane. That’s just sublime. Is that Augusta Louise?

• Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

Yes, it is. Thanks, nose. Boy, how I love that rose. Diane

3 years ago

Diane - which is that glorious middle one - Boscobel?

• Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

Birds, thanks. I think you are referring to the second Brother Cadfael photo. Boscobel often has the same look.

• Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

This is Boscobel. Diane

3 years ago

Oh wow! I'll have to look into both! The brother & Boscobel. Boscobel always looked kind of coral colored to me. I love the color of yours better. And the shape of the bloom! To die for!

• rosecanadian
    3 years ago

Diane - Ooooooooooooh!!!! Your Augusta Luise blooms are amazing!!! They remind me of can can girls skirts when they bend over. LOL I want mine to look like that!!! Your Boscobel has a color worth swooing over!! :)

My Soeur Emmanuelle is ready to burst open with lots of flowers!! :) Thanks for the wonderful compliment. :)

BirdsLoveRoses - Diane can get colors that most of us only dream about. Seriously!

• Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

Thank you, Carol (blush). I hope you get some photos of Soeur when she blooms again. Diane

• modestgoddess z6 OH
    3 years ago

Pope John Paul II

Bolero

Crazy Love

Flamenco rosita

Blue for you

Kashmmir

Queen of hearts

Super Hero

3 years ago

My new peach Swirl is very bloomy

• rosecanadian
    3 years ago

Kristine - love those big stripey blooms!! Wish I could smell them.

• Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

Yes, Kristine, I wish I could smell Peach Swirl, but your lovely photo will have to suffice. I have wanted to grow this rose for ages. Yesterday, we were gifted with the sweetest, juiciest, yummy peaches you can imagine. I ate eight of them. Will be starting on another eight soon (and probably will pay for it!). I guess eating peaches makes up a little for not growing Peach Swirl. Diane

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    3 years ago

My yr around blooming-est rose is a tie between Fire Opal and Rubens. They both pretty much go nonstop here despite heat, humidity, & our mild winters.

• R pnwz8a
    3 years ago

fire opal and julia child.

• rosecanadian
    3 years ago

Diane - I haven't had fresh peaches at all this summer. Darn! My husband does the shopping now with COVID...I asked him to get soft-ish peaches and hard cherries...he did the opposite. LOL

• Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

Well, houzz disappeared by post, the boneheads. I'll try again. Diane

• rosecanadian
    3 years ago

Hang in there, Diane. Stupid houzz!

• Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

Carol, I did hang on and posted two more times--which disappeared also. Then I finally got the page saying houzz was doing "housekeeping", and the site was down. Only on houzz. I mostly just was saying silly stuff about peaches. I won't bother to repeat it all, but in stores here, we can't get decent peaches. They're just hard green rocks that look sort of ripe. Like store tomatoes that fool you. They are bred to look ripe and red while being rock hard rubber balls that store and transport well., but taste like nothing actually grown by a human. This was a roundabout way of my telling you to forgive your husband for the hard peaches. That's all he could get, I'm sure. You'll never guess where the juicy, ripe peaches came from: my daughter's dad, also known as my ex. Since daughter and son in law are on the ridiculous keto diet, they won't each peaches, so I get them all. Heehee. Diane

3 years ago

Here is what Houzz is doing to me.

After I hit enter an add pops up so can only type one word at a time.

Speaking of peaches , living here with Harry and David as neighbors we got some wonderful peaches because they pick them at just the right time so they were so sweet and juicy, delish !

Young Lycidis

Quietness , I would love to rehome her

Crimson Glory

The Fawn, love this rose so

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    3 years ago

Kristine, why don’t you like Quietness? She looks beautiful in your picture?

• Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

They're all lovely, Kristine, so tell us about Quietness. In your rose growing heaven of a climate, what problems could this rose have? The Fawn is luscious, and I love Young Lycidas. Mine is doing quite well this year though his blooms don't like our extreme heat much. Have you tried adblock? I can't imagine why houzz is doing that to you--so awful. This is orchard country, too, especially the next county over. Of course, that makes good wine country, so lots of wineries are around the same places. Apples, peaches, and wine grapes are the main thing. I love making the rounds of the fruit stands intermingled with the wineries (not this year, though). I love Harry & Davids. My memories stretch back to when I was a five year old, and my mom loved ordering fruit from them--such beautiful fruit: Royal Riviera Pears and apples. Of course, I loved the chocolates they put amongst the fruit in the baskets. Great memories. Diane

• Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal
    3 years ago

Kristine, I love Harry and David, maybe since I grew up in Seattle. Also Liberty Orchards that makes Applets and Cotlets, they are super nostalgic, but too sweet for me now. Please tell me more about Crimson Glory. I have Cl. Crimson Glory on its way to me from Heirloom the last week in September.

• Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

My mom loved Applets and Cotlets, but they weren't sweet enough for me when I was a kid-ha. In the 1950s, the Hershey Bar was king. Diane

3 years ago

OStephanie ,the color the fragrance are both outstanding . It is so hard to capture her glorious color . I cant wait to how yours does .

Ok, Quietness is great rose. It blooms like crazy and is very healthy

The only issue is I have it in a tall planter box which makes it hard to see most of the blooms which face up and are up at about 8 ft

It really needs to be ground level. Unfortunately I have no other place

• rosecanadian
    3 years ago

Diane - hee hee hee - nice ripe delicious peaches for you!!! Score! Yeah, I'm lucky that he's doing the groceries ... no complaining here. :)

Kristine - can you type more normally now? Unreal about the ads. I haven't had a single peach all summer. Dratted Covid. Okay...not getting peaches is not something to fret over. Reall stuff is happening. Wow...the red on your Crimson Glory is unreal!!! Your Olivia is so lovely...but if she's not ringing your bell...toss her? I love your The Faun! :) :)

Oh....Harry and David is a place that grows fruit...I thought the fruit that Kristine mentioned was from a neighbor. :) LOL And chocolates with the fruit!! What a special place!

• Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

Carol, Harry & David's is a famous seller of wonderful fruit and lots of other yummy stuff. The orchards are located in Medford, Oregon, where Kristine lives. H&D start sending out little catalogs in the early 1950s of their fruits and gift baskets. Mostly my folks bought just the boxes of fruit, but one or two times they sprung for the fabulous baskets. They were stuffed with extras like chocolates, as well as the fruits. I was entranced by the big basket as a little kid. Kristine can tell you more--she worked for H&D. Medford is gorgeous, as is all that part of Oregon. I loved the revived little mining town, Jackson, set back in the hills. We had fun shopping there in a visit years ago. I really need to go back. Oh, Jackson & Perkins were originally located in Medford, too, and many of their most famous classic roses were bred in Medford. I bought my first David Austin roses from J&P in Oregon in the early 1990s. Diane

3 years ago

Peaches, strawberries, and apples are my favorite fruits, so I planted an allee of apples and three peach trees (it is too hot here for strawberries). Last year I had buckets and buckets of fruit. Now my urologist says I can’t have apples or peaches. The peaches were left for the birds and the remains went into the trash (they smelled soooo good!). The apples are going to my friend’s horse since there was no point spraying them for worms and coddling moth is intense here. Sigh. To take them all out? I’ve tried having a peach and an apple, just to see and the results were very bad. So those days are over.

• Sunny Mississippi 8a
    3 years ago

@Kristine LeGault 8a pnw I’m sure I have a spot for Quietness if you want to send her my way!

• Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

I'm sending Kristine my Olivia (heh), so Kristine will still be short on space. I'd love to grow Quietness.

Nose, how awful to have all that luscious fruit and not be able to eat it. As we live out our lives, there are so many health limitations that interfere with the fun stuff. I'm sorry you have to put up with this. I've got plenty of limitations myself. But I won't be giving up roses soon--we go down together. Diane

3 years ago

So I am switching to typing on my Ipad. It doesn't have the weird glitch that my phone has.

I spent about a half hour typing in a reply only to have the whole thing dissapear.

Anyway, when I started at Harry and David in 2000, our entire outdoor area at the store was loaded with racks of Jackson and Perkins roses. They used to come plantable in boxes, remember those ? That is where I discovered my passion for roses, I couldn't get enough of them.

We had a fabulous test garden that was open to the public and there were hundreds of roses being tested. It was an exciting time.

At the end of barefoot season bags of a dozen or more roses were given an to the emplyees. These were an assortment of roses so you didn't know what you got.

You always knew in a neighborhood who worked for Harry and David because of the rose gardens.

Sunny, I wish that I could send you Quietness but I'm afraid that I would kill her off.

Diane, I would gladly take Olivia off of your hands.

Today, even though it is feeling fall like is supposed to be 105. At least it cools down at night.

3 years ago

Molineaux finally taking off .

• rosecanadian
    3 years ago

Diane - it sounds like Disneyland (never been to either of the Disney places) to me!!! How wonderful!! Now I want to go there!!

Noseometer - you can't have apples or peaches? That sounds weird. I think I'd change urologists. :) And to have fruit trees in your back yard and not be able to eat the luscious home grown fruit? So unfair!!! Good for the horse though. :)

Diane - "we go down together" ... Right On!!!! Roses Forever!!

Kristine - sounds like a magical time in your life! :) :) And, oh my goodness!!! Your Molineux is fabulous!!!! Fabulous, I say! :)

We're going below freezing on Monday night...which is terrible, since after that we're going back up to summer temperatures. My husband's going to bring 10 rose bushes into the garage for me and then bring them back out the next day. I'm definitely going to save these:

- Soeur Emmanuelle - has a big flush coming

- Stainless Steel - has lots of roses and a hip I'm trying to ripen. Probably won't.

- Chartreuse de Parme - fabulous rose and has a selfed hip I'm trying to ripen

- Fortitude - big flush coming

- Parade Day - big flush coming

- Fragrant Plum - ditto

- the rest I'll have to see which ones.

• uRockme (Z4b)
    3 years ago

I started growing roses this year and so far these are the non-stop bloomers in my garden.

The Lady Gardener
    Lady of Shallot
    Magic Box
    Beverly

• rosecanadian
    3 years ago

Wow!!! Your Magic Box does look magical!!! I love your Beverly!!! :)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!