Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
typeandrun

Update and pictures. indoor plant by east facing window

typeandrun
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I am notorious for killing plants, though probably due to picking the wrong plant for a space. So I am looking for a plant to go on a pedestal, behind a chair, in front of an east facing window.

Please send me any winners!

I took your advice and stopped in at a local garden center. They were so helpful. I really like this little corner!

before and after pics

Comments (13)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago

Best is for you to go to your local plant store since E facing sun can be quite different in different places.

typeandrun thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • chloebud
    3 years ago

^Good advice from PCC. I have good luck with schefflera (umbrella plant). A couple others are peperomia or Boston fern.

typeandrun thanked chloebud
  • typeandrun
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you for your help!

• popmama (Colorado, USDA z5)
    3 years ago

Looks great! Really pretty coloring.

typeandrun thanked popmama (Colorado, USDA z5)
  • houssaon
    3 years ago

I have had a snake plant for over 30 years. Occasional watering is it all it needs.

Lake Minnetonka · More Info

1632 · More Info

Lake Hollywood · More Info

• socks
    3 years ago

Pretty plant, beautiful home.

typeandrun thanked socks
  • typeandrun
    Original Author
    3 years ago

so the plat is called anthurium. One care taking website said to place 6 ice cubes in plant once a week. Has anyone watered this type of plant using the ice cube method? It's so pretty i don't want to kill it.

• gardenfanatic2003
    3 years ago

I wouldn't do that, I'd just water it when it's dry. The method that works best for me to determine if the plant needs to be watered is to lift it and see how heavy it is. When it's lightweight it needs watering. Water until liquid comes out of the holes in the bottom of the pot and don't let the plant sit in water.

Deanna

typeandrun thanked gardenfanatic2003
  • socks
    3 years ago

The plant is not watered with ice cubes in nature, so just use water which is the temperature of the air approximately.

typeandrun thanked socks
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago

I agree and plants need water when they need water and that might be once a week or more or less . More people kill plants with over watering than under.

• Rebecca/N. IN/z6A
    3 years ago

I have anthurium, very easy to care for. Its planted in Al’s “5-1-1” mix, which is 5 parts pine bark to one part sifted peat & 1part sifted, coarse grade perlite. I water about 2-3x/wk in summer, depending on temps & fertilize weakly, weekly. (1/4 tsp per gal.) I keep this plant East-facing but underneath another plant on a 2-tiered plant stand, which is parked under a large but somewhat open-canopied maple tree so the anthurium gets bright but shaded morning/early afternoon sun. This plant blooms religiously for me every August. It comes from the South American rainforest, so bright, filtered sun; high humidity & frequent watering are what it needs. I bring it back inside each fall late in season, when temps hit around 40F at night & send it back outside in spring when temps are 50+ at night. Don’t want to shock it after 5 months of consistent 70-75F indoor tmps. Also, there are a few Oxalis bulbs that mysteriously found their way into this pot (Idk how?) but I felt sorry for the little orphans so I let them stay. They seem to like the care, so my pot of Oxalis gets the same treatment, but w/o other plant on top, so it gets a bit more sun. This plant has also been a reliable, season-long bloomer & easy to care for, so oxalis may be another easy option for you, should you want to have more than one plant. It’s deep burgundy leaves & delicate whitish/pinkish flowers add a lot of color to a room. Hope this helps.

typeandrun thanked Rebecca/N. IN/z6A
  • Rebecca/N. IN/z6A
    3 years ago

Here’s my pot of Oxalis (shamrock plant). Pic loaded upside down for some reason, unable to fix it.

typeandrun thanked Rebecca/N. IN/z6A