Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisaodwyerphoto

What color walls for grey IKEA Bodbyn kitchen with gold brass accents?

lisaodwyerphoto
3 years ago

I am getting the grey IKEA Bodbyn kitchen fitted. I will have burnished brass handles like this and not sure of countertop color. I think the quartz that has the bits of stones/marble in it in a light color or plain white. One wall will be tiled with these tiles from Floor and Decor (calacatta oro) from counter to ceiling. On the opposite wall, there is a glass cabinet like this and the fridge, and a shelf on an open wall. Oak floor. What color paint should I do? White ceiling. White walls? Or something else? Thanks!

Comments (16)

• houssaon
    3 years ago

How about Gray Owl from Benjamin Moore?

lisaodwyerphoto thanked houssaon
  • felizlady
    3 years ago

I would paint the walls the same white as in the counter material.

lisaodwyerphoto thanked felizlady
  • eld6161
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I wouldn’t go gray on the walls since you have the gray cabinets.

I agree with Feliz about using a white.

lisaodwyerphoto thanked eld6161
  • Mahala Bloom
    3 years ago

I would also say white. Contrast.

lisaodwyerphoto thanked Mahala Bloom
  • Jennifer Hogan
    3 years ago

Have you already ordered cabinetry? Gray has been around for a while, but the trends are moving away from gray. White cabinetry is less trendy and will not date your kitchen.

If that does not matter to you, then I would do white walls or colorful walls, but not another gray. Is the kitchen open concept to the dining or living room? What are the colors you have in the rest of the house? Never pick colors for just one room, pick a whole home color palette so that the rooms are not disjointed.

lisaodwyerphoto thanked Jennifer Hogan
  • ilesliemy
    3 years ago

White will make the cabinets pop. That’s my vote.

lisaodwyerphoto thanked ilesliemy
  • ljptwt7
    3 years ago

If you love grey don't worry about it "going out". I painted my cabinets a light grey before I learned it was the "in color". I have always loved grey. I painted my kitchen/dining room walls a dark grey. Just a suggestion to consider. I like contrast but don't want white walls.

lisaodwyerphoto thanked ljptwt7
  • Linda Stefanish
    3 years ago

We at the very end of our kitchen remodel. I have to tell you that HOUZZ helped me tremendously. I knew I wanted white cabinets in a more traditional/transitional style but after that I needed help. First I use the photos in the filters for white kitchens and looked through so many pictures I can’t even tell you how many. When I would see one that made my heart go pitter patter I would make note of it. I soon saw a trend of the styles that I liked. Then from there I spent a lot of time researching colors also on this app or from blogs on the internet To lead me to the right color samples to bring home. Choosing the right white was probably the biggest decision of all . Next hardest was the wall color to give me the look I wanted. My best advice is to keep using this app to its fullest, look at thousands of pics and research colors once you decide what you like to make sure you pick the best as far as undertones, LRV, etc.
    Yes, it’s very time consuming but it’s probably something you won’t do again and your end result will be worth your effort !
    One other thing, when you are looking at colors for your walls to coordinate with your cabinets don’t forget about the color temperature of the lighting that you will be using....I found that makes a huge difference.

lisaodwyerphoto thanked Linda Stefanish
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

IMO if you love cool colors then gray will always be around I will never do beige or taupe I love gray.As for wall color you need to think about the surrounding areas and if they are open to the kitchen then the walls IMO should all be the same color. Please amke sure all your bulbs are LEDs in 4000K to make sure all the colors stay true.I do not like real stone next to quartz why not look at white granite for the counters and use it for the back splash too.BTW this is a kitchen I did with the Ikea dark gray high gloss cabinets and I matched the one wall to the cabinets to high light the view outside.

lisaodwyerphoto thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • Jennifer Hogan
    3 years ago

Sage would be beautiful with the gray cabinets.

lisaodwyerphoto thanked Jennifer Hogan
  • thinkdesignlive
    3 years ago

If you are set on the grey kitchen cabinets you could take a door to the best paint store near you and have them color match it. Then you could go a as many shades lighter as the overall space dictates (look at a mock up of it with your floors, upholstery, etc before commuting to it). This way you know you are getting a tone that 100% harmonizes with your cabinets.

lisaodwyerphoto thanked thinkdesignlive
  • thinkdesignlive
    3 years ago

I’d personally keep the sage paint to the art and accents. If you do sage wall paint I’d be inclined to stay with the white cabinets. Could look muddy together.

lisaodwyerphoto thanked thinkdesignlive
  • lisaodwyerphoto
    Original Author
    3 years ago

What do you think of Nacre to warm the greys as in the painting above? For the walls. With a pure white ceiling?

• Sofia
    3 years ago

How ‘bout pulling one of the softer, warmer colors from the tile to help pull everything together?

lisaodwyerphoto thanked Sofia
  • lisaodwyerphoto
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I think this could work @Sofia. It was what I was thinking with the nacre. I love the sage, but afraid it could be over-powering on the walls. So far, I feel the warmth of the oak floors and brass contrasts with the cool of the grey and the white of the counters (I might be doing a terrazzo style quartz called Thlassos from Carpet Express). I like how the painting has cool colors, but they feel warm. Kinda like the Irish coast at sunset :)