Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
xyzw2020

Master Bathroom Layout - Please Criticize

A Green
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

First of all, I sincerely appreciate everyone here who have been generous with your time and offered advices to my questions. I have agonized over various designs in the past few weeks and finally decided to go big with my master bathroom remodel (current condition: 7' x 8', tub/shower combo and single vanity).

Here's my remodel plan. I invite you to criticize, so I can be clear with the potential drawbacks. Thanks again for your time!

A few notes about my plan:

1) The upper wall and the right wall are exterior walls.

• The upper wall has two windows that are measured at 2'11" wide

2) Shower: minimum size 54" x 36"

• Frameless glass enclosure (2 sides).
  • NO pony wall between the toilet and shower
  • Low threshold
  • Floor to ceiling tile

3) Double sink vanity: 72" x 22"

4) Tub against the upper wall (exterior). 60" x 30"

• would like a freestanding one
  • clearance with the toilet is about 30" - should I put a privacy screen or build a wall there?

5) For Storage, should I do recessed cabinet?

6) We borrowed the space from the walk-in-closet. After the remodel, my WIC will be at 5'8" x 8'6". Will it be so small that become a resale concern?

Comments (37)

• PRO
    Sharon Brindley Designs
    3 years ago

Hi A. Green: I put the pieces into the previous floor plan I did and It works (see attached), space-wise but I’m not sure it’s the next solution, aesthetically for you. For a freestanding tub, you need to think about how you can clean between the tub and the wall and you need to stand it away from the wall by about 12”. If you want the look of a freestanding without the gap between the wall and the tub, consider something like this:

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/acri-tec-rochelle-i-4-feet-11-inch-acrylic-freestanding-bathtub/1000854875?eid=PS_GOOGLE_D29B - E-Comm_GGL_Shopping_PLA_EN_Bath_Bath_PLA_EN__PRODUCT_GROUP_pla-297623692937&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjsnU8IC66wIVMgPnCh3dbQi1EAQYByABEgLme_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

A Green thanked Sharon Brindley Designs
  • PRO
    Sharon Brindley Designs
    3 years ago

Forgot to answer your question about storage ..... I wouldn’t advise putting it on the wall you suggest. You still have room on the shower/toilet wall. As for your amended closet size, as long as it is properly organized, it shouldn’t affect resale

• A Green
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Sharon, thank you for the feedback! I did not know that I needed a clearance between the freestanding tub and the wall. yes, you are right. It won't look good if I must put the tub 12" away from the exterior wall (upper wall).

• PRO
    Sharon Brindley Designs
    3 years ago

I learned the hard way about the tub - I have one that’s too close to the wall and it is very difficult to lean back there ....

• thinkdesignlive
    3 years ago

I don’t think you are using the architecture of the space very well. If the whole right side is oriented similar to this layout (picture the toilet where the sauna is and it would be without a door right by the window on the right)

https://www.houzz.com/photos/mukilteo-master-bath-remodel-contemporary-bathroom-seattle-phvw-vp~53495998

Then, the vanity wall can run along the left wall from end to end. No time to sketch it out but hopefully you get the gist.

• thinkdesignlive
    3 years ago

Eh that probably wouldn’t work for the tub as the walkways around it would be tight (imagining the tub turned). Anyway, sometimes it’s better to loose the tub and do a great walk in vs sub par everything.

• A Green
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi thinkdesignlive, yes, that's my issue. I keep trying to fit in a freestanding tub...

• PRO
    Sharon Brindley Designs
    3 years ago

Hi A. Green: back to one of the floor plans I suggested before, if you used the tub I suggested today (59” x 31.5”) these would be the space dimensions (see attached). Each vanity is 36” so equal to one long 72” and you have a 24” deep storage cabinet. Instead of a full height wall between vanities you could just have back-to-back mirrors. You could even hang the mirrors from the ceiling, allowing more light to come in from the window and the mirrors would reflect natural light. I’ve added some mirror inspiration photos. Not sure what your style is but you could do something really cool.

• PRO
    Sharon Brindley Designs
    3 years ago

Here are some 3Ds of floor plan:

• PRO
    Sharon Brindley Designs
    3 years ago

Last one

• PRO
    Sharon Brindley Designs
    3 years ago

Hi A. Green: is it possible to replace current entrance into bathroom with a barn door?

• A Green
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I so wish that I can have a barn door, but there's no space. What do you think of a pocket door, Sharon? If I do a 24-inch pocket door, I might get a lot more space.

• PRO
    Sharon Brindley Designs
    3 years ago

24” is pretty narrow - what’s on the other side of the bathroom? How do the walls line up? If you did do a pocket door, I would recommend a solid one vs. hollow core.

• PRO
    Sharon Brindley Designs
    3 years ago

Here’s the plan with a pocket door - this one is 30” and I wouldn’t go any narrower. Also, I moved the storage cabinet between the shower and toilet. It’s a pet peeve of mine not to see the toilet as soon as you enter the room ... toilet seat is usually left up and they’re not the most attractive of fixtures. Plus, in this case, the function is better as it is closer to the vanities.

• thinkdesignlive
    3 years ago

I like that Sharon - IF a tub is a must. I think I would personally prefer a better shower and storage/vanity area but to each his own

• Rock Kyndl
    3 years ago

Can you 'steal' any linen space from that jut-in that looks like it might be a closet in another space?

• PRO
    Sharon Brindley Designs
    3 years ago

It’s a good sized shower - larger than average - and, for the project scope, the homeowner has expressed a desire for a freestanding tub. Storage has been provided and should be ample for 2 adults (remember, in addition to the tall cabinet, there are 2 vanities). I store additional towels and face clothes in my closet vs. the en-suite and it has never been an issue.

• PRO
    Designs with Character
    3 years ago

Think about how the space will be utilized. I think the idea of separating the vanities with a wall between is an ultra modern layout. Is the home a ultra modern style home? I have heard that when you open the door to a bathroom, you should not be looking directly at the toilet. In your proposed layout, that would be the case. Can the toilet be moved to another spot in the bathroom? If not, I suggest moving the Shower and storage to where the bathroom vanities are on the right and settling with a smaller double vanity where the shower is. I'm happy to draw up a layout for you!

• Scott MacKenzie
    3 years ago

All the designs have the toilet in view of the door coming in. I thought that was a no-no? I would rather see the vanity within view of the door. Also the vanity is probably what you’re going to be using the most yet you’re putting in the furthest away. Just a few thoughts.

• coachekwe
    3 years ago

I may be too late to this party... but if you or your mate will use the tub frequently, more than say once a month I would keep it, with at least 6" of cleaning clearance behind it. I see too much HGTV where they placed a free-standing tub too close to a wall or TWO to clean behind it. If it won't be used that much and you have another bathroom with one in it, I would forget it ~ tubs are large and cumbersome to keep clean and that will allow you the room to put in what is apparently necessary storage?. I agree with Sharon Brindley Designs, put a pony wall in if the toilet will be visible from the door. It's a very small thing to install and IT WILL ALLOW YOU TO GRAB YOUR TOILET PAPER FROM THE RIGHT SIDE - don't forget that major convenience! It will also allow you the necessary framing if you choose to put a seat in the shower, or would rather have it on that side. The only other caution I would add; allow room for a wheel chair or at least a walker. I understand you aren't thinking of keeping the house (since you asked about resale value), but a valuable part of resale is accessibility Being able to age-in-place is a wonderful feature to advertise these days!.

A Green thanked coachekwe
  • artzigirl
    3 years ago

since the most use of the bathroom is the toilet and vanity, they should be close. You can adorn your space with a beautiful vanity (seen through the door- in place of shower) and have easy access to wash your hands on the way out. A consideration- a Japanese style soaking tub (signature hardware has a nice selection) to save on space. I would go down to a 60" vanity and put that where the shower is. Consider doing a curbless shower so the tub could be moved further to the right (in front of the window). Your wet wall (shower components) could be on either the closet wall or the right wall. Then you have plenty of wall options to hang towel racks /rob hooks.soaking tub. Good luck

A Green thanked artzigirl
  • hsmeghan
    3 years ago

Just saying, I'm with debbiecz -- kind of silly but my favorite thing that I've done in our bathroom was getting a freestanding toilet paper holder that sits on the floor with a short arm to slip the roll on and off, and a space underneath for 3 extra rolls. Ours is black iron, a really nice design, and I love that I can move it around and refill it easily when needed. Such a small detail but you don't have to put anything on the wall that way. And when you live with people who don't change the rolls, it's a huge deal. Also solves the problem of which way the roll hangs.

I was thinking you could switch the tub with the vanity and have the vanity under the window on the right. I also wonder, how much do you really need a soaking tub? Is this a feature just for resale value or will you make a lot of use of it? I ask because we never use the corner garden style tub in our master bath and I'd tear it out in a heartbeat if I could afford it and build in a large corner shower instead. I don't think much about resale value because I have no intentions of selling this place ever, it will go to the kids when we pass on. I would not put some expensive thing in my house for resale value -- this is my house and why should I care about what the next person might want?

I'm sorry if I wasn't very helpful here. We are just starting making decisions for our own really basic reno of our small main bathroom and I'm already getting overwhelmed so I understand what you are going through! Best of luck to you!

A Green thanked hsmeghan
  • kathpotts
    3 years ago

Two ideas: one to switch the shower and toilet. By putting the toilet by the door, you can screen it or enclose it. I don’t like when you see the toilet from the bedroom.
    Or two: completely move double sinks to that wall and move toilet and shower to far wall. One great idea is to incorporate a wet area that includes your tub and shower. Remember when you are lounging in your tub, you don’t want to look at a toilet.

A Green thanked kathpotts
  • Ajay Ovalekar
    3 years ago

Objectives: to increase accessibility to the vanity. To maximize the lobby space so more than 1 persons can move about freely at the same time. Create a wet splash area combining the bath and shower because either of them will be used at a time.

Let me know what you think.

A Green thanked Ajay Ovalekar
  • Ajay Ovalekar
    3 years ago

If you think the toilet is a bit cramped in the earlier design. Also you could add a phony partition to hide toilet from the bathroom door. The L shaped vanity will need some customization to optimize usage.

A Green thanked Ajay Ovalekar
  • Lynn Della
    3 years ago

@A Green: I'm a little late to the party, too, but here's my 2 cents' worth. My first impression, on seeing your floorplan, was that, while you've done a good job of providing plenty of space, your placement of the various pieces isn't logical, especially putting your sink on the opposite side of the room from your toilet, making it awkward to wash up after using the toilet.

Why do you want a double-sink vanity? How often do you expect the space to be used by two people?

I agree with you about pony walls next to toilets ... but I also wouldn't put a toilet in the sight line of the doorway unless it's absolutely unavoidable. If you relocate your vanity to where you've put your shower (and as suggested by so many others), that should provide sufficient masking.

If you're truly interested in designing to age-in-place, there are some additional things to consider;

• How easy is it going to be to get to/from the toilet if one is mobility-limited (even using a can or walker, let alone a wheelchair), if it's tucked into a corner? Although there are narrower ones, standard walkers are 25″ to 29″ wide. This will also be an issue when planning your doorway (to allow easy access, they should be 34″ to 36″ inches wide).
    • Similarly, will someone in a wheelchair be able to reach your sink and its controls? And don't overlook the accessibility of towels, replacement toilet paper rolls, wastebasket, etc.
    • How often do you realistically expect to use a bathtub? Unless it's pretty often, you might want to rethink it. Is it the actuality of a tub that you like or the idea of one (that one catches me up more often than I care to admit)? Ditto on your shower, which I'd strongly suggest you build with a very low or roll-in threshold. Another alternative would be to, instead put in a combo walk-in tub/shower, which would give you the soaking option of a tub (along with the convenience of a seat (or place to put your feet when shaving your legs) and a stand-up (or sit-down) shower, all in the space of a tub (which might give you additional options for the increased storage you want).

For some general advice about accessibility, see, e.g., https://khn.org/news/how-to-make-a-home-much-more-friendly-to-seniors-using-wheelchairs-or-walkers; there are, of course, scads of additional resources. (I'm going through this decision-making myself, and I know I have a lot more reading to do in order to make the most prudent yet affordable choices.)

Based on the input you've already received, and assuming you don't want to veer too much from your original plans, I like the simplicity of the first design offered by @Ajay Ovalekar (the right-angled sinks in the second one seem very impractical), and am knocked out by the amount of time, effort and quality that @Sharon Brindley Designs put into suggestions for you!

Best of luck!

A Green thanked Lynn Della
  • Dyan Guarrera
    3 years ago

Might be too late but here goes. I designed my bathroom not only with aging in place in mind, but I have a neuromuscular disease that may put me in a wheelchair. Keeping those issues at the forefront, I opted for a walk-in tub instead of a free standing one. It's like having a personal jacuzzi! I also went with a zero entry shower with a large built-in bench seat. They are next to each other to keep the wet stuff on one side. I also went with a double vanity and designed it so that access to the sinks is wheelchair compatible with a storage unit in between. I did put the toilet in it's own area (3 walls but no door) for additional privacy and to cut down on germ spray when flushing. The sinks are separated from the toilet by the wall. My walk-in closet is at the opposite end of the bathroom from the wet side. I utilize it for additional storage of bathroom items and have mirrored medicine cabinets over each sink.

A Green thanked Dyan Guarrera
  • Ariadne Piera
    3 years ago

This might be super late, but first I would think maybe you should consider hiring another professional designer, because this layout seems tricky/problematic.

Secondly. Is there any way you would combine the soaker tub function so that it can also be a shower? Or minimizing the dimensions of either the shower or soaking tub (I’m thinking of Japanese soaking tubs). I also can’t imagine that if someone looked at this layout, it would do anything for re-sale even if it makes the current owner or you very happy since you’d have to duck and weave just to go from toilet use to washing your hands.

As far as minimizing shower dimensions, you could have a standing shower with a glass panel to keep water from straying too far. If you make it curbless, then you can squeeze some extra space out that way for walking in and out of your shower. I imagine your floor will all have to be waterproof anyhow with the freestanding tub.

Here’s a very bad drawing using my notes app. 😂

Good luck! The most important thing is that whoever ends up living with this bathroom loves it!

A Green thanked Ariadne Piera
  • PRO
    Rosina Makedonska
    3 years ago

I would propose those 2 layouts where the vanity is always to the left as thit way it is closest to the door and most convenient for daily use. My preferred layout is the one that has the tub opposite the door- second picture here. This will be the centrepiece and you can decorate it beautifully with a big mirror behind. Good luck with your master bathroom

A Green thanked Rosina Makedonska
  • felizlady
    3 years ago

A freestanding tub is beautiful, but remember that someone needs to clean all the way around it. I prefer a tub with one side built into the tile wall...leaving only three sides with flooring to mop.
    Do not take space from a master closet for bathroom storage. Your vanity should have a bank of drawers for each user and towels can be stored under each sink. If you have space for a narrow tower, cleaning supplies and paper goods can be stored there.

A Green thanked felizlady
  • Brittany Palmer
    3 years ago

I agree with everyone above, here's my approximation.

you can also make the vanity 6 ft and center it on the window. This would give you room for tall storage/hamper between the vanity and shower/tub area.

A Green thanked Brittany Palmer
  • ginasmitasin
    3 years ago

I found double vanities a PITA and hardly used because we are rarely in the bathroom at the same time. I think the most important thing to remember is accessibility, be it for a broken leg or aging in place. Never want a toilet by the door in case you should have an issue and need help you don’t want someone to have to push by your body on the floor to get to you (Unless you have a pocket door 😊).

I hate the look of an open toilet lid, have taught my husband and kids to always put the lid down. First it was a safety issue (little kids) and now it’s a covid plume Issue. Frankly I think this whole toilet thing was a design flaw by our maker, we should have been made using a zero waste system.

• Andrew McDonald
    3 years ago

A Green thanked Andrew McDonald
  • debbiecz
    3 years ago

Apoligies, again! I don’t mean to be the doom & gloom gal but as I’ve just finished scrubbing our glass shower I’d suggest you think about how much maintenance you’re willing to do on the shower. We have hard water in our area but installed a very good softener unit & all house filter. We squeegee the glass after use but after a few days the water spots start to show. You mentioned floor to ceiling, surround glass. That’s a lot of glass! We had to put in 3/4 walls to accommodate the water valves and it provided towel hooks within easy reach.

A Green thanked debbiecz
  • A Green
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you everyone for your input. I have decided to give up the proposed plan. After reading all your comments, I realized that

1) Aesthetically I don't have space for a freestanding tub even with the expansion of the floor plan. Also, cleaning around the tub is a concern. The tub should be placed in front of a window, away from the toilet.

2) Despite of our best effort, our design has many flaws, functionally and aesthetically. We've never done remodel before, there are so many to learn. If I spend 30K+ for a master bath remodel, i better have a designer to help.

Appreciate everyone's time and feedback. This is truly a great community. I will post an after pic.

• debbiecz
    3 years ago

It will beautiful, but you’re right - it’s a big investment! My husband is a plumbing contractor and despite everything there’s always something we would have done differently. More advice - write all your thoughts down in a project notebook. I had sections for layout, lighting, plumbing, cabinets, tile. This will cover all your ideas, questions, shopping sources (it took me four hours to pick out grout even with the help of the Daltile website), a pouch to keep track of receipts for returns, pics of the ”innards” - the walls w/o drywall so we knew that the valve was 12” from the wall. Handy when installing cabinets, towel bars, etc. so no one hits plumbing or electrical. Have fun, be patient & thorough. Can’t wait to see your project.