Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ilikefriday

Powder room mockup. Does this light look dumb?

ilikefriday
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

This is a before, during, and after mockup of my powder room. In the before, I glued decorative paper to my walls using Mod Podge. I am tired of that and have started peeling it off. For my after, I plan on stenciling all four walls. It is not going to be the exact pattern shown but something similar. I am leaning towards blue/black or red/black. I kind of like this two-arm pendant light. I am pretty sure it is intended more for a desk or nightstand. Would it look dumb in a powder room? For reference, I like bold design that is full of color.

Thanks!

Comments (68)

• Jilly
    3 years ago

Ooo, I always get excited when you post a project! Great ideas already, I’m just following along. :)

ilikefriday thanked Jilly
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    3 years ago

I can understand being nervous about removing the gold leaf.

You could always spray paint it...rustoleum makes a lot of metallic spray paints. That way you know a bit of sanding or a product like stix and you'll be all set for whenever you want to change it.

The hardest part of that would be to make sure you cover and mask everything well so you don't get gold overspray everywhere.

ilikefriday thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    3 years ago

Benjamin Moore also makes a gold metallic latex glaze so it would go on like regular paint and clean up with soap and water.

• ilikefriday
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Annie Deighnaugh

Do you really think painting is necessary? Do you think Rub N Buff would work? If I were to go in that direction, I would want the gold in the bathroom to be similar to the gold in the kitchen. The gold in the kitchen was achieved by using RNB. I have used glazes, years ago, to achieve a gold look but I wonder if it is worth the labor when I know that RNB is the color I am trying to achieve. Also, I am pretty sure I can just paint over the RNB once I am tired of the look. No additional prep needed.

• Fori
    3 years ago

Fun project, and I like a lot of the options. I'm not familiar with any of the gold products, but I like the gold ceiling idea!

The peel and stick stuff is great, although the texture is vinyl, not wallpaper.

I just did a peel and stick/removable wallpaper mural in my kid's room and it was so very much easier than wallpaper. And cleaner! No gloppy mess. It came in sections about 8' by 2'. Took a lot of peeling and resticking to line it all up. It has remained properly stuck for months so far, and on a very textured wall. (The same room has sported a very large peel & stick death star for years.)

ilikefriday thanked Fori
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    3 years ago

I used R&B once and thought it left a kind of film if you will, like it never fully dried. It was great for the small project I was working on, but I'm not sure how it would work on a ceiling or how it would be to paint over.

But your call...

• ilikefriday
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Fori

I would love to see your peel and stick. Do you have any photos you can share?

• jojoco
    3 years ago

You could use embossed wallpaper on the ceiling and then paint it. Something like this perhaps

ilikefriday thanked jojoco
  • ilikefriday
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@jojoco

Years ago I put something similar to your suggestion on my dining room ceiling. I loved it! For this space I want a multicolored pattern. I love the look of pattern on pattern and busy, slightly cluttered decor.

I ended up purchasing this wallpaper. I could still change my mind. I am planning to add a few pieces of art with small doses of a similar color. My staircase is directly across the bathroom doorway. There is a large staircase painting with red/orange background that faces that door. I also have the orange artwork and some other pops of the color nearby. If that turns out to be a bust, I am going to explore something different. This is a really tiny room. 50"x60". Graffiti would be my first choice but also the hardest to accomplish. I know that would not appeal to the masses but I think it would be soooooo cool! Gold Rub N Buff on the ceiling would be the cheapest and the easiest.

• ilikefriday
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I am thinking of going in a different direction with my bathroom and putting the stencil on the ceiling instead of the walls. I did stencil one wall and didn't really like how it turned out so I reversed the colors and tried again. That was also a flop. It occurred to me that the stencil has a very similar pattern as the runner on my staircase. I am not sure if I want it on the walls. What do you think of the stencil on the ceiling? I am playing around with different styles of light fixtures at the moment. Not sure which one of these I like the best. What do you think of this design?

@IdaClaire Didn't you mention hot pink?? ;-)

• DLM2000-GW
    3 years ago

I'll loan you my neck brace. Seriously, I used to have a decorative painting business and there is nothing worse than ceiling work.

ilikefriday thanked DLM2000-GW
  • ilikefriday
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@DLM2000-GW

I like to paint. I already stenciled the ceiling. It is such a tiny room it only took 6 repeats.

• DLM2000-GW
    3 years ago

Atta girl! I was getting the advil ready for you!

ilikefriday thanked DLM2000-GW
  • Jilly
    3 years ago

I like this new direction, hurry up and finish! 😄

Seriously, it’s going to be fabulous.

• ilikefriday
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Jilly

Wouldn't it be fabulous to be able to snap your fingers or twitch your nose like Samantha and Tabatha? I would love that!!!! When I twitch my nose nothing happens. How did they do that? That paper is out of stock and won't be mailed until the end of the week. This project will not be complete for another couple of weeks. Dangit....

But, the mirror will be here in a couple of days and I already have one of the light fixtures posted above.

• Jilly
    3 years ago

Yes! I’m still waiting on a headboard and rug I ordered five thousand years ago. I imagine the updates they’d really like to send ....

• ilikefriday
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Jilly

LOL.That is hilarious. I can tell you a similar story about my range. Just a fyi, don't ever buy anything from Zline.

• IdaClaire
    3 years ago

I can't wait to see the finished product! Wow - you work quickly!

ilikefriday thanked IdaClaire
  • ilikefriday
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I realize that this will be too bold and out there for most people but this what I have going on with my bathroom right now. It is not finished. What do you think of the pink crown molding? Does pink look funky or does it look like I ran out of black paint? I was initially thinking of black molding but then I found a paintbrush with pink paint in my hands and decided to put it on the molding. LOL Which would be better, pink or black?

The mdf on the walls is just a holding place for art.

The first photo is my bathroom today. The second is a mockup with black molding.

• Jilly
    3 years ago

That’s a tough decision! I really love them both equally. Either is great!

^^ Big help, huh? 😄

• IdaClaire
    3 years ago

They really are both great. Initially I thought I gave the black a slight edge, but in looking more at the pink, I think I may actually prefer it. It's definitely unexpected, and oh so pretty.

• robo (z6a)
    3 years ago

I like the pink but I realllly like the black. I think it looks really tailored and ties so many elements of the room together,

ilikefriday thanked robo (z6a)
  • ilikefriday
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I agree, the black looks more tailored and ties it all together but I kind of also like the unexpectedness of the pink. What to do, what to do.... I think my entire house has an element of unexpected decor. I kind of like having a surprise around every corner.

• Jilly
    3 years ago

Ok, after your last post, I say pink. You can certainly change it later if desired, but for the unexpected and surprising (and looks great), definitely pink. :)

• localeater
    3 years ago

I like the pink. And I absolutely love the pink wall and the blue ceiling, gorgeous.

Why the little painting with the two big pieces?

ilikefriday thanked localeater
  • ilikefriday
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@localeater

Thanks! I am surprised that you can tell that the ceiling is blue!

I thought the two big pieces looked a little odd with the mirror, like two columns on the wall. I like the two paintings centered above the toilet but that leaves a gap between the paintings and the mirror. The mirror is not a standard bathroom mirror. It is a mirror that is supposed to be for the back of a door so it is a bit skinny and vertical. I am going to have 5 large pieces of art in this really tiny bathroom, the two above the toilet are the smallest of the 5. I thought the little tiny piece would be kind of interesting with all the other much larger pieces and balance the gap.

Does that tiny piece look off? I suppose it does.... maybe I will rethink that idea.

• Jilly
    3 years ago

No! I like the quirky small pic idea with bigger ones. Your rooms always make me stop and want to look at every detail. They’re marvelously interesting.

• ilikefriday
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Jilly

That makes me happy. I want to keep things interesting! I initially thought I would hang the paintings horizontally and that would take care of any gap. The reason I nixed that idea is because the toilet would again be off center with the paintings and I just didn't like that look.

• localeater
    3 years ago

I think a small piece of art, amidst many big pieces, can be the jewel that draws you in, I just thought its placement felt too planned to fill a space iykwim. Remember I am not there, I only see a flat image so am not really feeling the space, you know best.

In regards to the “two columns effect”, would you think about changing the mirror. I was wondering if a oval mirror with a blue frame to match the ceiling would bring some whimsy.

• ilikefriday
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@localeater

Just to clarify, the background of the ceiling is blue. I thought it would read cream so when you mentioned blue I was shocked. The design is a stencil. The stencil was done in black.

I thought about doing an oval mirror but had a really hard time finding one that would fit the space. I would need it to be no more than 20" wide. Otherwise, it would not be able to be centered over the sink because the sink is very close to the adjacent wall. Changing the mirror would now also cause a problem with the molding. I attached the molding so that it would bend around the frame of the rectangular mirror.

Also, while the walls are hot pink, I want the rest of the space to be very masculine. All the art will be of men. I figured a rectangular mirror would give a more masculine feel than an oval one.

Initially, I thought of placing a tiny piece of colorful art in the gap but then I remembered that I have the piece posted in the photo. It is a big frame with a tiny mirror in the center. You probably can't tell that from the photo.

• localeater
    3 years ago

It’s a beautiful space. I am able to see that the stencil is black over a blue background. I love it.

ilikefriday thanked localeater
  • lakeaffect_gw
    3 years ago

It's knock out gorgeous, and while I love the pink trim against the navy, I think the pink wallpaper doesn't offer enough of a contrast against the pink trim, so I vote for black, or, add a black or navy pencil edge trim on the wall further cementing the blue or black/pink combo, which is striking and just works.

ilikefriday thanked lakeaffect_gw
  • ilikefriday
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@lakeaffect_gw

Do you mean add black pencil trim below the pink crown molding?

• lakeaffect_gw
    3 years ago

Yes, on the wall only, because that blue/pink contrast on the ceiling is already perfect. I know two tone trim is funky and a tad on the outre side, but IIRC, that fits for your whole house, and in my world, "funky" and "outre" are compliments of highest order. Also, I like high contrast, but my taste is eclectic to say the least.

• ilikefriday
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Love, love that idea! Thank you so much. Omg. Can I get that done today?????? I already have some molding a little wider than pencil. Maybe 1". Thinner would be better. I guess that means a trip to the store...

Wait, I have some pencil molding, but not enough. I will paint the piece I have and see how it looks.

Funky and outre. My two favorite words!

• lakeaffect_gw
    3 years ago

Oh, it looks great in the mock up, on my monitor the black is strong, I wonder how the navy from the ceiling or the lighter blue or a purple pulled from the wallpaper would look, a softer color against the awesome wallpaper.

• ilikefriday
    Original Author
    3 years ago

• IdaClaire
    3 years ago

Yep. That black pencil molding makes ALL the difference. Go. Do.

• lakeaffect_gw
    3 years ago

Yep, black it is, I like the blue, but it lacks pizzazz, and this room is *all about* the pizzazz.

• ilikefriday
    Original Author
    3 years ago

This is what the black looks like. It is only propped against the wall in case you can tell it is crooked.

• Elaine Wilson
    3 years ago

Nothing you do ever looks dumb Friday.

ilikefriday thanked Elaine Wilson
  • ilikefriday
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Elaine Wilson

Thanks but I have been known to come up with a design or two that left a few folks scratching their head ;-)

• Yayagal
    3 years ago

I love all of the ideas you have, you're a very creative person.

ilikefriday thanked Yayagal
  • ilikefriday
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Yayagal

Thanks. That means a lot because I have seen your space and think it's amazing.

• tartanmeup
    3 years ago

Tell me you went with the black touch against the pink crown moulding? The additional touch of black gets my vote. It's a fab space, regardless. :)

ilikefriday thanked tartanmeup
  • ilikefriday
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@tartanmeup

Yes, I decided to go with the black pencil molding, just like in the photo above. I love it! I just got back from HD. I will install it asap, that is my project for tomorrow if I can find the time. Today I am in the thick of working on my sink. This weekend I am the pretend plumber. I removed the sink from the wall a few days ago and changed the faucet, but the hot water knob will not lock in place, so I purchased a different faucet. The new faucet is for a single hole sink, and the hole isn't big enough. I am trying to increase the size slightly. The problem is I have no idea what I am doing! Thank God for YT.

Also, I am in love with a tp holder I came across on Amazon but it cost $100. That seems outrageous for tp imo, or maybe I am just cheap. To me, that just looks like a roll of tp on top of a candlestick right? I might try to make a knockoff myself. Wish me luck!

• Sueb20
    3 years ago

This powder room is soooo cool. Great job!

ilikefriday thanked Sueb20
  • ilikefriday
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Sueb20

Thank you! That means I am on the right track.

I installed my new faucet today and it does not leak. Today was a success.

• IdaClaire
    3 years ago

Are the large pieces paintings or photos? They are gorgeous!

• ilikefriday
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@IdaClaire

They are photoshopped. I found them on Unsplash. I love this photographer and have painted a few of his pieces. Soon these will be paintings, once I find the time. I am on a kick with paintings of people looking at each other. It cracks me up. I did something similar with paintings on my staircase.

This will give you an idea of how they will be laid out. After the paintings are complete, it will no longer be my powder room. It will be the men's room. LOL, This kind of thing TOTALLY amuses me.