Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kcarty1

Height of kitchen sink window

Karen
3 years ago

We are planning to build a new granny flat that will have 10 ft ceilings with 8ft door and window headers.

In the kitchen, the sink wall (right side of L) will not have any upper cabinets, only floating shelves to the right and left of the sink (starting about 6” from the trim.). The only upper cabinets are on an adjacent (left) wall and are 42” high.

Because of the outside elevation, I can only have a single 36” wide window over the sink. Would a 36x56” window starting at the 8ft header be ok? Or will that look too tall? I see so many kitchen windows that don’t start as high on the wall, but hoping for as much light as possible while still looking ok. Hoped that the 8ft header would be ok since no flanking cabinets to deal with. Your thoughts?

Comments (14)

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    3 years ago

Gonna be a pain to clean.

• Karen
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Joseph Cornett - Is your comment related to the window height? The fact that it may be close to counter height? Or both?

• Christian Arispe
    2 years ago

Karen - Did you ever figure out the heights?

• Karen
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hi Christian. I haven’t ordered the windows yet but probably will this week. I am leaning toward 36x54” window (as is a std size); this would put the bottom of the window 6” above window bottom. If you have any suggestions, I can still make changes. Thanks!

• Karen
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Not that I meant to say. Bottom of window about 6” above countertop.

• lucky998877
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Karen, any chance of making your counter extra deep in that location? I did 60" tall kitchen windows that go down to the countertop. The light that comes in is amazing, even while facing north and being under an overhang. I have no problems cleaning the window, it doesn't get splashed on. I made my countertop 30" deep...it also helps make the standard depth fridge look like a counter depth.

• J Sk
    2 years ago

@lucky998877, could you pls share what is your countertop? It is really pretty.

• lucky998877
    2 years ago

Thank you J Sk, it's Alpine/Alpinus/Bavarian Alps granite...goes by a few names, comes from Brazil. So far it has been bullet proof. fabricator said that is was extremely hard, and therefore difficult to cut.

• Karen
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Lucky998877 - you have a beautiful kitchen! I can’t go deeper on the sink wall, but am planning to go deeper on the adjacent wall that houses my fridge for the same reason. :). Was it difficult to coordinate the window, cabinet and counter top installation? We are acting as our own GC and I don’t know what I need to do to coordinate the windows and counter height. That’s the only reason I hadn’t planned a 60” window (fear of failure). I love the look of a window all the way to the counter.

@ILoveRed - Thank you for photos. This helps.

• lucky998877
    2 years ago

@Karen, my husband is a GC, he figured everything out including subflooring etc when the windows got framed...this is a brand new addition. Sure, could be easy to mess it up, I don't think that I would do it with any old framing crew...husband started as a framing contractor decades ago, so it was perfect. Good luck! If you trust your framer to really get your vision... and do the right math...the look is worth the extra that he might charge. Also, we owned our counter slabs for 2 years before fabrication...so no surprises there.

Karen thanked lucky998877
  • Karen
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@lucky998877- you lucky girl!!! We are building a block home, so we are stuck using std concrete block dimensions instead of ever flexible framing. We haven’t yet chosen flooring or counters yet. Oh boy. I think I have lots to consider in a very short time frame.

• lucky998877
    2 years ago

Oh wow, I've only seen block homes on tv. Currently, you probably have to sell your 1st born to frame a house ;) Hope the block situation is better. We thought that lumber during a Covid reno was on the higher side....yeah, then 2021 showed us how high it can really go! Good luck!!

• Karen
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Lucky998877 - we live in Florida where hurricanes are always a possibility, so block homes are very common here. And like lumber, cement blocks are expensive and on short supply too. There are many times I wish we were building a frame home; it’s more forgiving and flexible in terms of window/door placement etc.