Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kshanahan

Need help! Toe kick for painting existing cabinets & new flooring

Kristen S.
3 years ago

I am keeping my cabinets and SubZero frig and wall ovens but replacing counters and flooring in my kitchen. We are going to have the cabinets refinished and painted with new hardware. The existing ceramic tile will be removed and replaced with wood.

My dilemma is the toe kick vs quarter round that covers the small gap for expansion between the new wood floor and base cabinets for expansion. My floor installer wants to use quarter round and I was looking at a paint-grade toe kick skin. I want something clean. The existing floors do not have thick base trim and there are several side panels (5) for end runs of the cabinets that are flat to the floor with no decorative side “furniture” features. (see before sample pic) We are actually installing the wood in 3 rooms so it’s kind of a big project. (to make the flooring consistent)

I am not a designer or a pro, but want the floor to look original, if possible, not an after thought.

I am wondering if I should just pay to have the appliances and base cabinets moved and re-installed to have a clean look at this point. We are getting a new sink and countertops so it’s only more money right? Am I being a crazy homeowner? I am so over-budget! Ugh! I know it will be great - eventually!!

Comments (5)

• Sammy
    3 years ago

Cost aside, I don’t think uninstalling and then reinstalling the cabinets is worth the risk. The chances of them going back just as they are (i.e., not out of whack) are not that great. Some type of base moulding will be just fine given the circumstances. Do make sure they pull the dishwasher, range and fridge out (that will be a pain!) of their slots and run the flooring in those areas!

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago

I agree uner the appliances and the rest done with the smallest trim possible

• Kristen S.
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I appreciate the feedback! I usually have stained the wood floors on site, but since we have three of us “working” from home right now, I wanted to reduce the odors, and ordered pre-stained. They do offer pre-stained quarter round.

The subzero frig is over 30 years old. Since it has an ice maker too, I was worried about moving it. It could be life-ending for this expensive appliance!

We have a gas cooktop and the dishwasher is new (easy). Could I cheat and leave the frig and put the quarter round in front of the existing toe kick? It is the end of that cabinet panel and has a flat panel that goes straight to the floor. It is kind of hard to tell in this picture, because the dog is in the way.

• Jennifer Hogan
    3 years ago

I am replacing my flooring throughout the house. The instructions for a floating floor say I have to have 1/4" expansion gap around the edge of the room and not to run the flooring under cabinets or appliances (This defeats the purpose of the 1/4" expansion gap because the flooring can't move.

You can place remove your current base boards and toe kicks and replace after the install - get 1/2" and it will cover the gap. For the sides of the cabinetry, if you want a solid piece without a baseboard or toe kick you could get new side panels and a front fill strips so that it goes over the gap or you may be able route the bottom of the side panels out like you do with the door jams so the flooring slides under the side panel.

I am continuing my base board around the side of the kitchen cabinets up to the toe kick.

I am not a fan of quarter round, but in all honesty, no one but you will ever look at or notice how you covered the gap between the flooring and the cabinets. (Think of your friends homes and the homes of your family members - what do they have? If it was such a big deal you would remember exactly what theirs looks like.)

• Kristen S.
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Good point! I know my flooring contractor is removing the base boards (as pictured in doggie photo) in all 3 rooms. I am not sure why he is opposed to 1/4” toe kicks vs quarter rounds. Our floor will be a glued not floated, but also needs 1/4” for expansion according to him.

I really trust his judgement, and you are probably right that it will disappear if it is stained dark like floors.

Only the white baseboard and the step up into the family room will stand out (which is usually stepping over one of the dogs sunning themselves)

This is why you hire a general contractor or designer to just do this and not second guess every 100 decisions that go into a kitchen project.

It will be so great when it is done!