Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_756511904

Trimline DR 300 vs Jeld-Wen Siteline?

A R
3 years ago

Appreciate any help from the community.

We've narrowed our search down to two specific aluminum clad wood/pine windows (a mixture of double hungs, bay windows, sliding, and french doors).

Does anyone have experience with both of the below products and might be able to share some advice?

(1) Trimline DR 300 (https://www.trimlinewindows.com/trimline_products/dr300/)

(2) Jeld-Wen Siteline (https://www.jeld-wen.com/en-us/products/windows/siteline-clad-wood)

We're looking for the best value aluminum clad window (not necessary the best, but most expensive). Specifically, we'd hoped to get the community's input on comparative quality, longevity, warranty, and/or any other differentiating factors between these two products? (Or are there any other aluminum clad products you'd consider at this same general price point.)

We live in an HOA in the DC metro area that requires wood windows, so other products aren't an option. So far, I've not been able to identify any other aluminum clad windows that aren't considerably more expensive.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Comments (16)

• millworkman
    3 years ago

"We've narrowed our search down to two specific aluminum clad wood/pine windows (a mixture of double hungs, bay windows, sliding, and french doors)."

Neither are any pro's definition of a quality product. They are both at the very bottom of the food chain.

• A R
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks @millworkman for your comment. We understand and appreciate that these windows are 1-3 steps below Marvin, Pella, Anderson, Kolbe/Kolbe. Those products are unfortunately out of our price range for our project (more than 10 double hungs, one bay window, one 3-panel sliding door, and two french doors with transoms).

From your perspective, are there performance differences between Jeld-Wen Siteline and Trimline DR300? (Both are extruded aluminum clad on pine.)

From what I can tell, the warranty is better on Trimline and the price point slightly lower (probably owing to lower overhead) -- but Trimline is a small regional manufacturer, and few people seem to have experience with it.

• millworkman
    3 years ago

Have not heard anything good about Trimline, honestly ever. I have a very hard time recommending either of those two products. Gun to my head Jeldwen would be my choice. Have you thought about a higher end vinyl or fiberglass product? Better performance, better quality and possibly same or close on the dollars?

• A R
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Thanks @millworkman

Unfortunately, vinyl isn't in the cards. Too much stigma against the product in Northern Virginia real estate market -- impacts resale value. I do not see a realistic scenario where HOA approves of them either. Though the HOA might reject it, I've looked a little at -- and actively considered -- fiberglass or fiberglass/wood mixes. Even with very aggressive pricing, I've found that the Marvin Infinities will cost a 40% premium above the trimlines and 23% over the Jeld Wen sitelines. Given the size of the project, this adds up to a lot of $$$ -- which isn't currently in the budget for repairing our new home.

Are there other quality fiberglass products you recommend? (Or aluminum clad for that matter?) Others in our community have priced out Pella, Marvin, Thompson Creek, Anderson, and Renewal by Anderson -- and found these are all substantially more expensive products than the Jeld Wen Site Line product that's been very popular in our community.

A window contractor in the area has claimed that Trimlines are equivalent quality to Jeld Wen Sitelines, but at a lower price point, better energy efficiency, and better warranty. Sound credible?

• PRO
    toddinmn
    3 years ago

Marvin Elevate, Andersen 400 Woodwright, A-Series,E-Series.

• PRO
    East Bay 10
    3 years ago

Marvin Infinity and Renewal by Andersen are both installed (by the company you purchase them from) products and carry a premium price over the Signature, Elevate and Essential (Marvin) and A, E, 400, and 100 (Andersen) lines that you can purchase and have your own or an independent contractor install. That combination is usually less expensive than the former, Keep that in mind when comparing companies.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    3 years ago

We had to install only a few JeldWen SiteLines for a basement project to match what the customer already had. The installers complained about them in terms of the fit and finish of the components.

If you can get an Marvin Elevate product approved, that is probably your best bet. I am sure folks still have plenty of feeling about vinyl (windows), while selectively ignoring all the other vinyl finishes, however, we are seeing vinyl and composite products in multi-million dollar builds at this point.

• A R
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks @Windows on Washington Ltd, @East Bay 10 , @toddinmn, @millworkman - This is all very helpful background. Appreciate your expertise and insight.

@Houzz community - Does anyone on the forums have experience with the TrimLine windows? Specifically the aluminum clad Legends series (DR300 etc.)? The HQ is in the Philly area, and online searches suggest they're popular in Brooklyn brownstones and boston historical renovation projects. Our contractor swears by them -- says they're one of the best aluminum clad wood windows, and their price point is attractive for the type of product. Would love any input from folks who have worked with this product.

( @millworkman - Have you worked with this Trimline product or have colleagues that have done so? You mentioned you're not impressed with these windows. Any additional details you could share? We'd be really grateful.)

I'm really stuck on the aluminum clad, because I suspect I will not succeed in getting other types of products HOA-approved. Marvin/Pella/Andersen aluminum clad are currently out of our budget.

• millworkman
    3 years ago

Yep, had the opportunity to sell them and would not. Plus I unfortunately know several people who have used them and they have not one good thing to say about them.

• millworkman
    3 years ago

And honestly Pell would never be in any conversation I had in regards to Marvin or Andersen. They are a poor choice for a window as well. If you have to have an Aluminum Clad maybe see if you can find LePage dealer. Where are you located?

• PRO
    toddinmn
    3 years ago

I am not familiar with them. If they use roll form cladding on the exterior I would rule them out Automatically. I would not go by what a contractor swears by in many cases. If you talk to to contractor who is specialized in one field you often get different answers. If you have the time I would highly recommend looking at quality product like an aluminum clad Marvin Ultima and the Trimline in person . Even to the untrained eye the quality difference is often clear. Not putting down the Trimline just not familiar with them.

• A R
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@millworkman - Thanks! Removing Pella from my mental list of 'higher end' aluminum clad products. LePage? Interesting. I see they're in Quebec. Hadn't heard of them. We're in the Washington, DC metro area. Humid. Moderate winters. Does that change whom you'd recommend for aluminum clad windows below the Marvin/Anderson price point?

@toddinmn - Thanks. To clarify - Trimlines states that their "master frame is of heavy .060”

extruded aluminum" (see p. 11 of https://www.trimlinewindows.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/legends_brochure_web_2.8.18.pdf). I'm getting a sample shipped to me soon.

• millworkman
    3 years ago

No, I just though I may have been able to point you to a dealer depending on where you are. There were a few guys pushing Trimline in the Queens/Brooklyn area and from what I know most of them have been sorry they used them but I cannot speak for all of them.

• empathie00
    3 years ago

*Strongly* recommend against using LePage. We made the mistake of choosing them for a whole-home reno project a few years ago and they've been nothing but trouble since - but the biggest issue is utter lack of customer service - as in, it's so bad I feel like they must sit around coming up with new ways to treat their customers like garbage. They make a poor quality product (6 out of 19 windows have broken in <5 years), charge a high end price, and then basically laugh at you for having fallen for their con. It's awful. I'm stuck with almost $50K of 5 year old windows that will have to be replaced again in no time.

• A R
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@empathie00 - I see that @millworkman recommends "LePage". Good to know that they make bad windows and don't stand behind their warranties.

We are leaning towards the Jeld Wen siteline. In spite of bad rap they've gotten on these pages, I can't find a window that's aluminum clad, that is customizable enough that it will be able to get through our HOA review process, and has a better warranty (at least on paper). Jeld Wen's auralast treated pine has a lifetime warranty against wood rot and termites. I've looked long and hard and I can't find anyone who claims that Jeld Wen failed to honor their wood warranty or their 20 year warranty for other parts/components of the window (including insulated glass failure). If you know of anyone who's had this experience with Jeld Wen's warranty department for the siteline product, I'd love to chat with them.

We looked at the Marvin infinities (fiberglass), but in the DC metro area, we're just getting such lousy customer service and responsiveness from the local dealer, that I've lost faith/confidence. Also, in spite of the Marvin name, the Infinities have an inferior warranty to the Jeld Wen sitelines (in several important respects). If one of fiberglass's selling points is durability, it's baffling that they'd only warranty the fiberglass portion for 10 years, and include a whole bunch of caveats and exclusions that run multiple pages. It's noteworthy that's it's cheaper to buy and install Marvin Infinities than for apples/apples wood/clad product from Jeld Wen ("Jeld Wen Siteline").

This has been a very time-consuming process. Wish there were obviously better options, but balancing product specs (e.g., Performance Grades, warranty terms, cardinal glass packages, air infiltration numbers) with trust for an installer that just happens to install this or that window -- makes the process incredibly painstaking.

• maestrope
    last year
    last modified: last year

@A R what did you ultimately decide - Trimline or Jeld-Wen? how did the project go? I am exactly in the same situation as you were, in the same geographical area, and would appreciate your insights.