Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lovelandlaura

what discount to ask for...quartz counter mistake

Laura
3 years ago

What level of discount can I ask for when my contractor made a mistake on the finish of my quartz counters? They put in a bill nose edge and I asked for a square finish.

Comments (11)

• User
    3 years ago

$1. You got the far better choice that will chip far less over time. If you had a square edge, you’d already have your first chip.

• Angela Zuill
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

More likely to chip or not, I wouldn’t be happy with not getting the edge profile I’d specified. We have a square edge, have been in our house six years, and I did manage to chip one spot but would still chose an eased edge any day. As far as how to reconcile this with the vendor, what has their response been so far?

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    3 years ago

How much fuss do you want to make? You've got the better edge.

• Laura
    Original Author
    3 years ago

thank you! they actually asked how much of a discount I wanted.
    I never thought about it chipping, great point.
    so. sine they asked, how much is the mistake worth? Ten percent, 15 percent?

• Mrs. S
    3 years ago

Yes, probably when you specified square edge, you meant eased edge. If it's totally bullnosed, I don't care for that and would say, Oh, I'm sorry, that's not what I ordered. When can you come replace it?

If there's some part of you that *might* be okay with it, let them offer you the discount. Then you can decide, or, work on obtaining a larger discount.

• megs1030
    3 years ago

I would want something that I picked out and paid for. I do not like a bullnose edge, so I'd want it replaced. If you want to keep it, what is that change in edge worth to YOU? Doesn't matter what we think. DId you pay an upcharge for the eased edge? If you paid an upcharge, I'd want at least that back. If not, you can start with a 15% discount and see if they negotiate.

• Caroline Hamilton
    3 years ago

I dislike bullnose either half or full. I have had eased in my current kitchen (6 years) and previous kitchen (15 years) and never had a chip. You should get what you paid for.

• tedbixby
    3 years ago

If you are willing to live with the bullnose then ask them what discount they will give you to keep it. Then if you feel it is a fair discount you can accept or negotiate from there. Believe me, if you give them a number first that they feel is too high that they will negotiate with you and if you give them a lower number than what they expected they will be very happy and you end up leaving money on the table. And if you don't like the bullnose, as others have said tell them it is unacceptable now that you've lived with it a bit and you want them to replace it with the edge you want. Good luck.

• Laura
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hello all, just a quick update, I asked for a 20 percent discount and received it. Thanks for the help. Laura

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    3 years ago

Laura:

They got lucky. It was possible to change the edge on site, but I'd much rather refund money than do that job.