Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fsg89

lsland and Kitchen Table

fsg89
3 years ago

We are trying to figure out what to do with a long narrow kitchen.... its 10 by 31. kitchen is one end..... perhaps add an island and table, but what to do with the other end which has a door way to living room... not sure if it should be a sitting room right next to living room. We will remove the studs where it used to be dining room. Should the long table to place in the former dining room next to the island? Any ideas?

Comments (15)

• jck910
    3 years ago

You started demolition without a plan? Is kitchen staying as is? You want to add an island?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

can you remove the tv from the corner and completely move it elsewhere?

Then you could make that entire end the dining space. get a larger table, maybe a buffet or hutch. that would leave a slight larger floor space area in front of the new sitting room area.

i think you could bring in a thin island for more workspace, OR, you could add onto those cabinets by doing more counter space under the window in your first pic.

Of course this would mean doing new countertops and possibly painting.

or perhaps you could extend it under the window and then do a peninsula with a bar overhang

(kind of like this one)

but you'd have to be able to have similar cabs built to match, or paint and do countertops.

otherwise, you could bring in a slim island table

• Carol jean Mudgett
    3 years ago

I would pull table closer to kitchen and put a love seat or small sectional by tv it's hard to see but picture how much room you have can table be smaller?

• Carol jean Mudgett
    3 years ago

It looks like you could turn table length wise facing opening

• mrykbee
    3 years ago

I think I’d try to extend the kitchen down another 7 or 8 feet. Think appliance garage, pantry space, counter space..... what are you missing ?

• fsg89
    Original Author
    3 years ago

If I move the large table to the end near by living room. The chairs is hardly to move because of too narrow , foyer and the slide door are in the way.

• Ig222
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I do not think you can have a large island (even // to the wall) you have roughly 10 ft (- 25"for the cabinets - 42 "for an aisle) will give you 57" for the island and the aisle on the other side, or an island that is at best 20 " without sitting).

I would do a peninsula, leaving about 48 " for clearance, with would make the accessible part of the peninsula about 4 ft, or a space for 2 chairs (see pictures 2 and 3 Beth H posted above), then I would have a long table -- assuming you dont have a dining room, which could sit a lot of people and use the dining room as a second sitting room, may be with a TV there.

Only problem I see is that the garage door would be in the kitchen.

• fsg89
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yes, we started demolition without a plan. Maybe we will bring the large table back to the dining room. The wall will be wide opening. Maybe we can use island table next to the dining room. We could use small loveseat and two chairs next to the island.

• fsg89
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@felizlady, can you send me photo which I am trying to get an idea?

• Cindy
    3 years ago

My question is, is it okay to have a sitting room right next to living room?

• felizlady
    3 years ago

I don’t have a photo. A 10x30 room can have three zones: kitchen (the larger portion), a breakfast/family dining area and a casual office zone. If you want an island, consider one on wheels which can be kept under the window or moved toward the kitchen when needed. A casual breakfast table which will seat your immediate family can go a bit further outside the kitchen zone. It can be used for most family meals. Between the slider and the living room, you could have a desk and a cabinet for an office zone so you can do paperwork while things are cooking in the same space. Keep the dining room for larger family or guest events. When you have a big gathering, the adults can fill the dining room and the younger ones can sit at the kitchen table...close but not too close.

• felizlady
    3 years ago

Cindy...a small sitting area next to the living room could be a reading nook, a pair of chairs for two people to have coffee and a conversation....in a less-used corner of the adjacent room. It doesn’t have to be a separate sitting room. It all depends upon the size of your rooms....extra space may offer a useful opportunity.

• fsg89
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

@felizlady

it may be possible. I could use the large table for dining room.

• mrykbee
    3 years ago

Cindy yes it’s ok! My mom had a couch at the end of her long eat in kitchen and it was the best thing ever to live with.