Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jojoco_gw

In search of the perfect marmalade

jojoco
3 years ago

My mom made wonderful marmalade. It was distinctly English tasting—tart but still sweet. I could get the recipe from her, but it’s a lot of work and makes a ton.

Does anyone here know of a great source for marmalade? I’ve tried most of the higher end ones from Wegmans and one from the Amish market near me. “Bonne Maman” is the closet but lacks bite.

Thanks!

Comments (31)

• teeda
    3 years ago

My favorite brand for English jams and preserves is Tiptree. I haven't tried their marmalade, but have loved every other flavor I've purchased. I usually get it on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/stores/Tiptree+Preserves/page/0C439049-3B39-4A19-AFA0-E469B782CBB1?ref_=ast_bln

jojoco thanked teeda
  • Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    3 years ago

I would look for thick cut marmalade and my preference is also for Dundee. Thick cut has more tangy bite.

jojoco thanked Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
  • sushipup1
    3 years ago

There used to be a great marmalade King Kelly. Wonderful stuff. The company was bought by Smuckers a few years ago and shut down. I've been searching, too.

jojoco thanked sushipup1
  • sushipup1
    3 years ago

Have you tried house brands at Whole Foods and Fresh Market?

jojoco thanked sushipup1
  • Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    3 years ago

Dundee seems quite different to me these days. Bonne Maman is my current favorite, mass market marmalade.
    I may make a home made batch myself this year.

jojoco thanked Zalco/bring back Sophie!
  • smiling
    3 years ago

The most perfect marmalade I ever had was Meyer Lemon Ginger Marmalade, homemade and gifted by a friend. Tart, sweet, and a little ginger kick. I'll be watching for Meyer lemons to come in to my local store and be ready to try making it this year.

jojoco thanked smiling
  • l pinkmountain
    3 years ago

One can make small batches of marmalade. The kinds I have had (outside of Great Britain) that are like you describe I have purchased in the foreign/imported foods section of the grocery. As I recall, Wegman's had quite a large area like that and I used to get my fix of authentic British tastes there. Can't really afford such things anymore, I make my own marmalade or buy the cheapest brand at the store.

jojoco thanked l pinkmountain
  • homeatlast
    3 years ago

My favorite is Chivers Olde English Marmalade. It's available on Amazon for about $8.50 or on FoodIreland.com for $3.29 -- same product! It's a little sweet and bitter with chunks of orange peel, mmm!

jojoco thanked homeatlast
  • elunia
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

@teeda, I’m also a fan of Tiptree! FYI, many of the best marmalades are made with Seville oranges. www.brandsofbritain.com

jojoco thanked elunia
  • Funkyart
    3 years ago

I have also tried most of the options at Wegmans and Giant -- including the very expensive blood orange marmalade which was good but still a bit sweet for my tastes.

This one is available at my Wegman's .. the reviews on amazon look promising. It's dark, complex and has the bitter element we associate with marmalade. Again, i haven't tried it yet but i will let you know if i do (it's in my cart for delivery for next week)

jojoco thanked Funkyart
  • lascatx
    3 years ago

I'm with Pink. I make mine, and make them in small batches. Most batches of marmalade, jelly or jam are just 4-6 jars. The easiest one we've made is Meyer Lemon -- basically slice or chop up a few lemons, trying to get all the seeds, add sugar and water. Cook and put in jars. We process in a water bath. Small batches process perfectly in a pasta pot -- just put the jars in the mesh inner pot and lift them out one at a time or all together. But I will warn you -- start making your own and store bought will never be the same. You may also develop a faithful following hoping for Christmas, birthday and any other gifts.

jojoco thanked lascatx
  • localeater
    3 years ago

Yes, start making your own! I make cranberry orange marmalade each Christmas. It is so pretty. My son, when he was a toddler called it church glass jelly because it reminded him of stained glass windows.

Food in Jars is great read.

jojoco thanked localeater
  • graywings123
    3 years ago

Off I went to Wegmans today in search of Taney Orange Marmalade. I could only find Bonne Mamn Orange Marmalade, so it will have to do. Tastes good. I'm eating it with crackers as I type.

jojoco thanked graywings123
  • Fori
    3 years ago

It's worth messing around with making small batches. If you're too lazy to can it, you can freeze it.

jojoco thanked Fori
  • jojoco
    Original Author
    3 years ago

thanks for all your suggestions and brand recommendations. I’m biting the bullet and attempting to make my own tomorrow. I’ve canned lots of things in the past so I’m game to try this. The hardest part was finding ball jars. Had to go to three different places

• Fori
    3 years ago

If your mom's recipe is as good as you remember, and it's not a family secret...you know. Post it. :)

jojoco thanked Fori
  • jojoco
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Fori, my mom’s recipe listed ingredients but no actual measurements. Way too vague for me. I’m using this one which is very similar, ingredient-wise to my mom’s. I’m using Valencia oranges which is what my mom uses.

https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/seville_orange_marmalade/

• jojoco
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Changed my mind one again and am using mom’s recipe. It is more of a ratio guide than anything else and it takes three days. I sliced thinly 8 Valencia oranges and one lemon. I reserved the seeds and put them in cheese cloth as a natural source of pectin. The recipe says to cover the sliced fruit with 3x their bulk in water. I had 6 cups of fruit so I added 18 cups of water to soak overnight. The cheesecloth bag is hanging in the pot. Tomorrow I do a hard boil for 20 min and then cool overnight. Day three means adding 1/2-3/4 cup of sugar per cup of fruit/juice and cooking to the jelly test. if it too sweet I’m to add 1tbs fresh lemon juice per qt just before removing from heat. Then water bath, etc.

as far as yield, my mom used 4 oranges for 12 jars so I am guessing it will yield about 24 jars. Up to my ears in marmalade!

• lascatx
    3 years ago

Did you pack the fruit down? That sounds like a lot of water. We had that happen with one batch and were not as happy with it. The 3 times ratio might work if you pack down fruit and have a wide open jelly making pan. During that hard boil, we removed the fruit when there was too much water and cooked down the water until we got to something more similar to the amount we saw with the other recipes -- or use the look of the consistency you prefer from the finished marmalade as a guide. Trust what you want to see and your ability to make it happen -- that will be a lot of marmalade to be unhappy with.

jojoco thanked lascatx
  • jojoco
    Original Author
    3 years ago

The six cups was packed down and the pan is 12” wide. I could always put it in 2 pots, and see if that helps. I’ve made jams and jellies before so I hope I’ll have a good feel for this. If not, you’re right, a lot of work for maybe a not great outcome. I’ll keep you posted.

Just had a thought. I could use my roasting pan that is 14x17 instead.

eta: Just googled. It has a nonstick finish which I don’t think I can do a citrus-based food in

• lascatx
    3 years ago

You are on the right track. Hope it goes well. A jar of good marmalade makes a nice gift, so having extra is a nice thing. My problem comes when we make several kinds, but I enjoy them. You rarely see Meyer lemon or pink grapefruit marmalades - and the grapefruit one I decided to try from Trader Joe's was overly sweet and not enough grapefruit flavor. If you like something other than basic orange, you almost have to make it. If you want to try the lemon, I'll find the recipe for you -- an easier approach due to the softer peels. Tastes like a tart lemonade.

jojoco thanked lascatx
  • l pinkmountain
    3 years ago

A lot of the taste of marmalade is dependent on the type of citrus used, the flavor of the orange rind and taste of the citrus pulp. The first time I made marmalade was like my usual canning forays, to use up something I had languishing around. I bought an order of FL oranges at the school where I worked as part of their fundraising. The oranges were just OK, kinda marginal and I wasn't wanting to see them hanging around indefinitely, so I tried out marmalade. it was the most "tart" batch I have ever made. Mostly due to the fact that the orange rind was thick and bitter and the pulp not real juicy and sweet. Not good qualities in an eating orange. Ironically made pretty good marmalade. That's what everyone got from me for Christmas. I don't even know if they liked the more astringent version. I never liked marmalade as a kid, did not like the texture of the peels. I like it a lot now, in any iteration.

jojoco thanked l pinkmountain
  • jojoco
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Success! I am very happy with how the marmalade came out. It certainly didn’t make as much as I thought, but I boiled the fruit/water mixture for a while so that was part of it. The flavor is wonderful!

thanks Lascatx for your help. 😊

• elunia
    3 years ago

Yum!

jojoco thanked elunia
  • lascatx
    3 years ago

Looks great! One of my favorite breakfasts lately has been plain Greek yogurt, a spoonful of marmalade, a handful of blueberries and some granola or similar cereal. This makes me ready for breakfast. LOL. Enjoy!

• l pinkmountain
    3 years ago

Reading over this I realized that was the type of orange I had when I first did my marmalade--valencia. They were just OK for eating IMHO, but perfect for marmalade. We rarely get Meyer lemons here or Seville oranges which are supposed to be the "marmalade" orange. When I'm inspired to make marmalade I like to just play around with what's available at the store. Blood oranges are sweet but the color and taste is fun in the marmalade, IMHO. And yes, some pink grapefruit pulp! I like slightly peachy pink marmalade . . . wonder why ;)

• lascatx
    3 years ago

If you see Cara Cara oranges, you might like to try them -- they have a bit of deep pink to reg, but not as much as the Blood Oranges.

• l pinkmountain
    3 years ago

I actually did find cara cara oranges once in the store and did use them for a marmalade mix. That was the same time I used the blood oranges! Thanks for the memory/reminder Lascatx, I had forgotten the name of that type of orange. I don't see them that often but occasionally. I have not used pink grapefruit yet but maybe someday . . .

• jojoco
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Lascatx, that recipe is now cut and pasted. Thanks so much. It looks wonderful!

• lascatx
    3 years ago

Hope you enjoy it. And Pink -- same for the pink grapefruit -- solo or in a mix.