Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gabe_lewis94

Update a brick front house from the 90’s

Gabe Lewis
3 years ago

My house has brick only on the front and ugly tan vinyl siding on the other 3 sides. My front porch has a cheap vinyl column and trim. As the focal point is a beautiful gabled roof with an arched window which I like. What can I do to not only bring my house from the 90’s Into the 2020’s but also make the house not look so cheap? I’d love some suggestions which won’t break the bank.

Comments (15)

• worthy
    3 years ago

Like this?

Gabe Lewis thanked worthy
  • er612
    3 years ago

Please post pics

Gabe Lewis thanked er612
  • Gabe Lewis
    Original Author
    3 years ago

• Gabe Lewis
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Sorry - I thought I had already posted a photo.

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    3 years ago

Do you like the brick? To me it’s a bit fake looking- trying to look recycled. I would paint or white wash the brick so it blends with the vinyl. Obviously upgrading the vinyl to hardiplank would be a good long term investment that you could save for.

Gabe Lewis thanked HALLETT & Co.
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

It's not horrible. landscaping is 50% of your problem. It's just blah and does nothing to showcase the house.

these homes are pretty similar to yours. notice the rich black shutters, bright white trim, and the landscaping!! Think about redoing your brick path

instead of the brick path dead ending into the other walkway, ahve the entire brick path lead you up to the front porch

instead of those round shrubs under the windows / flower beds, make it look like these

I also notice the front door could use updating.

bring in a door like this style,

paint it black, wrought iron, red, green,,,

Or do a nice wood door

If you want to paint all the brick white, (Romabio) I'd do black trim on the fascia and everywhere else.

here's one where they did gray. new doors/lighting. notice the flower beds

again, notice the flower beds and how removing all of those round shrubs opens up the front.

redo the white siding

Gabe Lewis thanked Beth H. :
  • er612
    3 years ago

Definitely increase the size of the post and edit the landscaping. If it's possible, you could remove the header over the door...

...or just paint it...

As funds permit, I would also replace the door.

Gabe Lewis thanked er612
  • Design Girl
    3 years ago

Lime wash the brick

Gabe Lewis thanked Design Girl
  • Gabe Lewis
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you everyone! We definitely need to redo the landscaping and the front door is now a dark teal without the brass kick plate. I want to keep the dark teal shutters and cannot afford to change siding now. It is a light tan. I love the idea of lime washing but would that still look off with the siding? I wish the house was brick on all sides so we could just paint the whole exterior. What about some kind of millwork in the gable with the porch to match?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

ugly tan vinyl siding on the other 3 sides.What can I do to not only bring my house from the 90’s Into the 2020’s but also make the house not look so cheap? I’d love some suggestions which won’t break the bank.

Gabe, You asked what to do, and we are advising you. You can't 'keep the ugly tan vinyl siding, the door with that brass plate, and the brick, but expect to bring the rest out of the 90's" ! (and 'not look so cheap' )

Either you save up until you can do the majority, or leave it until you can afford it. Millwork on the gable won't do anything.

Teal shutters, tan vinyl siding, Teal door and the red/black/white brick?

the door actually looks like a plum color in the photo.

Have you ever heard of Romabio? Did you see all of the before/after pictures in my last comment? you can have the same effect w/Romabio. At least w/the lime washed brick, it would look a little better w/the vinyl siding

I'd suggest you do the lime washing, and paint the shutters a diff color. Look for a diff front door. the style of that door w/the giant brass kick plate screams 90's. If you want to update it, you'll have to take the advice and change them. there's no half-way, i'm afraid! lol

Gabe Lewis thanked Beth H. :
  • Gabe Lewis
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yes Beth - that’s actually an older photo. The door is now a very dark teal (Almost reads forest green from the road which is about a fourth of an acre from the house) and the brass kick plate is long gone. It’s such a coincidence because I was looking at Romabio right before I saw your advice! I love that idea and maybe lighten up the shutters as well. I probably should take everyone’s suggestion and get a new front door as well. My husband and I are both retired and convincing him of exterior updating is going to be a battle but I’ll do my best. Thank you so much.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

lol. it's always the women convincing the husbands on here.

research the romabio. the classico comes in certain colors and is a lime wash. The good thingabout the application is that you have 72hours to see if you like it. if not, it can be rinsed off w/the hose!

The other is the Romabio Masonry 'paint', and the base can be tinted any color. It's a heavier sort of look. if you want a full coverage.

Classico colors

this one said romabio but tinted Alabaster (SW) Not sure if they can do that w/the classico, but i guess so!

Romabio Biodomus in Avorio (white)

I love this before/after

there was another poster on here who got the Romabio for his stone fireiplace. He lucked out and found the huge 4 gallon barrel on sale at home depot for 24.95! it's normally $240.

I think if you did something like this and chose something like Urbane Bronze for your shutters (it will work w/your vinyl siding) then you could do a new door in the wood, or paint it another color

• Gabe Lewis
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks a million again! I think I’ll try the Romabio on my fireplace (same as exterior brick) to start.

• er612
    3 years ago

Is removing the shutters an option? I removed them in the pictures that I posted yesterday and I think it looks great without.

• Gabe Lewis
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yes er612 I saw that. I think if I do a lime wash I may keep the shutters for some color and texture. I’ll try it without Shutters first Though.