Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ashley_hancockmcclure

Kitchen Flooring

Ashley Hancock McClure
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

This summer my husband and I had all of our old hardwood refinished throughout our house. The only 2 rooms that didn’t have hardwood were the kitchen and upstairs bathroom. Ironically, shortly after the hardwood was refinished we had a water leak in our upstairs bathroom that leaked into the kitchen underneath. The kitchen ended up being gutted and insurance is paying for the repairs. My question is—- what flooring do I pick for the kitchen? I know LVP is really popular right now, but I feel like the wood look of that will clash up next to the refinished hardwood in the rest of the house. The kitchen has one opening that leads to the dining room and one that leads to the living room. I was pretty set on porcelain tile. I found some 12x24 nova grey tile at Home Depot I really like that gets great reviews. I’m starting to doubt my choice though. The contractor suggested just putting LVP all throughout our downstairs (covering up some of the hardwood), but our stairs are hardwood, and I’m afraid the LVP will clash where it meets the stairs. Any advice? I’ll attach a picture of our hardwood. I do like it, but I’m not so in love with it that I wouldn’t cover it up.

Comments (14)

• kempek01
    3 years ago

if you like the look of wood in the kitchen, you should go with that. It may cost you extra (as in insurance won't pay for the upgrade to wood). Your wood looks like it would be easy to match in size, species and color. What you may have trouble matching is the character of the old-and-new-again floors.

Please do not rip out your old wood for LVP. Please do not put wood-look LVP or tile next to the existing wood.

Ashley Hancock McClure thanked kempek01
  • Ashley Hancock McClure
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you! I had thought about hardwood in the kitchen, I’m just not sure I could get it matched correctly. Our hardwood is pretty old (our house was built in the 1940’s), but in good condition. Do you think choosing a non-wood look porcelain tile would look okay in the kitchen? We’re doing white cabinets, agreeable gray walls, hopefully a white/gray solid surface or granite countertop.

• PRO
    MDLN
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Nice HW floors. Would not trust a contractor who suggested covering it with LVP!

Would put HW in kitchen, maybe by the person who did your refinishing. You will probably need to pay some for the "upgrade," but it is an investment in your home.

BTW, have white cabinets, carerra marble countertops, and grey walls; my walnut HW floors bring needed warmth to the kitchen.

Ashley Hancock McClure thanked MDLN
  • Ashley Hancock McClure
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks! insurance actually gave us a good amount for the flooring, so we might not have to pay too much for the upgrade.

• Design Girl
    3 years ago

Your floors are beautiful and I would put them in the kitchen as well. I did this in my home. A good flooring guy can feather new floors in and match the stain without a problem. You never just put LVP over hardwood as it will cause rot from moisture being trapped in between the two layers. I'd be careful with using a contractor that suggested this. I'd especially be careful using a contractor that would suggest that you cover your gorgeous REAL hardwood with what is essentially plastic.

Ashley Hancock McClure thanked Design Girl
  • Ashley Hancock McClure
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks! I sort of though that was a crazy idea too, but since he mentioned it- it made me second guess my hardwood.

• julieste
    3 years ago

If you can't find wood that is a match, you could do what we did when we put an addition on our nineteen teens house. In our area in that era a hundred years ago it was very common for houses to have oak floors in the public rooms and maple in the kitchen and bedrooms. We put maple floors in our kitchen, and they abut the oak.

Ashley Hancock McClure thanked julieste
  • PRO
    MDLN
    3 years ago

@ julieste, yes, bought an old house that had maple HW in kitchen and oak in other rooms. After researching found that was not uncommon, still don't understand why...

• Sammy
    3 years ago

Look at Montauk blue slate. It looks great next to wood.

Ashley Hancock McClure thanked Sammy
  • Ashley Hancock McClure
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@sammy I looked that up. That is pretty!

• Ashley Hancock McClure
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@mdln that’s so interesting!

• houssaon
    3 years ago

I would do either wood or linoleum. Linoleum is a natural material and it is sustainable. Marmoleum is a well know manufacturer of linoleum, which comes in sheets, tiles and click tiles.

A Refreshing re-do San Diego Award Winner · More Info

Spanish + Mid-century Modern · More Info

Lakeside Family Cottage · More Info

Ashley Hancock McClure thanked houssaon
  • ptreckel
    3 years ago

WOOD! Have your refinisher match what you have and then install and finish it for you. And...get rid of the contractor who would install LVP over your hardwood floors.

Ashley Hancock McClure thanked ptreckel