Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kellie_53

Living room furniture layout options- please help

Kellie
3 years ago

I am struggling with how best to layout the furniture in this living room with all the circulation paths. And I would ideally like to have a place to set things down (take off shoes, hang up coats, keys, etc) when entering from the garage, but I'm starting to think it's impossible. I've come up with two options but I'm not crazy about either of them... What do you think? Is one of these a winner or is there a better layout that I'm not considering?

This first option has the couch centered on the window which I like and there is space by the front door for a coat rack/shoe storage... Although, most people enter from the garage so this isn't ideal because you would have to walk across the space to put up shoes, coats, etc.

This second option seems to make a better use of the space but the couch is not centered on the window and I feel like it's weird to walk in the front door into the middle of the living room between the TV and couch. Also it seems like there needs to be something else at the other end of this living room as a focal point so I'm showing a fireplace, but maybe that could be coat/shoe storage..? But people don't want to see coats/shoes sitting within the living room space, right?

Comments (18)

• claire larece
    3 years ago

I like the first plan. It looks more cohesive. why not try and add a sectional.

Kellie thanked claire larece
  • Newideas
    3 years ago

I agree w Claire on option one and use coat closet by front door for coats and shoes. Have you considered reversing the swing of the garage entry door? Then you would enter straight into the kitchen w your arms full of groceries.

Kellie thanked Newideas
  • lwfromny
    3 years ago

I didn’t know what climate you live in, but is it feasible to have your coat/shoe/etc area in the garage, right next to the entry to the house?

Kellie thanked lwfromny
  • Elaine Doremus Resumes Written
    3 years ago

Is there any way to switch the garage door for a pocket door? I have this problem also. At the end of the kitchen counter where the sink is (closest to garage door), is there a spot for coat hooks and a shoe mat? In my kitchen, I have a small spot where I have a mini "office". I have a mini dollar store tray and on it is a wish list, running grocery list, pens, sharpie and pen holder, and scissors.

Kellie thanked Elaine Doremus Resumes Written
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

The key to this space is properly scaled furniture. Here is my layout and a mood board for furnishings. The white piece is IKEA shoe storage cabinet $99. This serves as drop zone behind sofa.
    The mixed wood cabinets serve for TV and storage piece opposite TV. A pair of small scale chairs and a couple small drink tables plus lamps completes this room. Sofa with exposed legs keeps things open and airy in small spaces. Enjoy!

Kellie thanked Flo Mangan
  • Kellie
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks everyone!

@claire larece, I will try dropping in a sectional to option 1... My fear is just that it will look too bulky for the small space.

@Newideas I did consider flipping the swing of the garage door and I actually had it that way initially but was worried about it being too crowded right against the cabinets there... You don't think that will be an issue?

@lwfromny, I started looking into doing some kind of shoe/coat storage in the garage but the garage is not super well sealed and I am just too paranoid about spiders and creepy-crawlies getting into my shoes or coats haha!

@Elaine Doremus Resumes Written unfortunately garage doors into a house have to be rated with a closer so a pocket door is not an option. But I could look into some kind of built in shoe storage at the end of the cabinets or island... Especially if I flip the door swing like @Newideas mentioned.

@Flo Mangan, thanks for putting this together! I was concerned putting the sofa where you show it would close off the space too much when I wanted to feel very open.. You don't think this will feel too closed off even with the exposed sofa legs?

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

As long as you get a sofa with 30-33” high back you will see right over it and the cabinet for shoes or a small sofa/storage table will work well. Every piece has to be right size whatever you do. How many people will need a seat every day in this room?

• calidesign
    3 years ago

I think option 1 is much better, with the open end of the seating area open to your kitchen. I would just switch the sofa and chairs, so the sofa back is to the entry and the chairs are in front of the window. That allows the whole seating group to be moved slightly closer to the tv, so you have room for a slighter deeper storage/shelf unit next to the door. I don't think you'd want to walk straight in to the side of the tv.

• Kellie
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

@Flo Mangan, I was hoping to seat at least 5. What about something like this? I flipped the door swing and switched the chairs/sofa like @calidesign suggested. I really like the idea of keeping it open between the living room/kitchen. Do the chairs have to be centered on the window? Does this create enough separation so it doesn't feel like the shoes/coats are "in" the living room space?

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

It is not a simple job to “switch” door swing. Especially a fire barrier door. I used measurements you posted on drawing and seating 5 in this space will be really difficult. 4 can be done. If family is 2 adults and 3 children a small scale sectional might be your best bet. But tight for sure.

• Kellie
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Flo Mangan, this is actually a completely redesigned floor plan so the door will be a new installation anyway. I'll try out a sectional and see how it fits. Thanks!

• kiffkat
    3 years ago

Here’s something practical to think about. How often do you watch TV? The first option provides comfortable TV viewing with 2 chairs facing the TV. Where as the second option has no seating at all facing the TV. To me, the first option is the way to go, if you plan on watching TV there.

Kellie thanked kiffkat
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

Oh. New info. If complete redo then yes switch swing of garage door. I can do a layout with a sectional for you late tonite. Company here right now.

• calidesign
    3 years ago

If you need more seating, you may be able to use a sectional without a back on the side portion, so your views are still open from the kitchen, similar to this:

Brooklyn Brownstone Cobble Hill · More Info

Another option would be to use a smaller round coffee table, and add one or two small bench type seats on the side of the sofa opposite the two chairs, or one longer one like this example:

Luxurious Masculine- Great Room & Library · More Info

For the shoe area by the door, try to utilize all the vertical space that you can.

Minnetonka Kitchen Renovation · More Info

Kellie thanked calidesign
  • Kellie
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@calidesign, I love these images and especially like the bench idea!... Thank you!

• dsimber
    3 years ago

That arrangement looks so welcoming!

• Kellie
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks @Flo Mangan... I just worry that with a 17' viewing distance the TV will have to be gigantic.