Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leslie_stanton37

Awkward kitchen transition to open floor plan

L Stanley
3 years ago

Hey all, just bought a house with an awkward open floor plan. The kitchen looks too open, any thoughts on how to make it look a little better? The fridge looks so odd as the end frame of the room and the left side just awkwardly ends. Any ideas?

Comments (2)

• Kate Hip
    3 years ago

Are you planning on a total redo? I would put the sink under the window and move the fridge to where the sink is to fix your fridge location, but at that point, you need new cabinetry and new counter tops on two of your three walls. Alternatively, you could just put a tall, narrow cabinet on the outside of your fridge where it is now to help it link in with the kitchen without doing a total reno.

Now, to diminish the openness... You don't have enough room for a stationary island, but putting something functional between your dining room and oven will help make it feel less like your oven is the focal point of the room and make your kitchen feel more closed off. You could do a peninsula. If you do a peninsula, have it extend from where your sink is. Again, though, this involves replacing cabinetry and counter top. Alternatively, you could do a mobile island on wheels in the middle of the room without doing a total reno.

Additionally, if you're doing a total reno, I wouldn't use such a high contrast palette in an open floor plan kitchen. It's hard to compliment all around the room unless you're committed to the black and white motif and it definitely draws the eye to the kitchen. Without doing a total reno, you can also help the visual appearance of closedness vs openness by just replacing the open shelves with cabinets.

L Stanley thanked Kate Hip
  • herbflavor
    3 years ago

small bookcase cab w furniture feet for good looks on sink side ...facing out toward table end of space . easy . fridge side: I'd take the artwork on wall away as that is drawing eyes there. You can enclose fridge. but maybe wait because this configuration is blocking the kitchen window light and view . how important is that? you dont know yet. If the sink side could take a skooch of sink down and bring fridge over and enclose the side then the window side could be free and much nicer .....spreading out food /extend some cabs and counter into where fridge is...you can reduce depth as it nears table. These are all possibilities you have. I wouldn't do much initially.

L Stanley thanked herbflavor
Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths